Overshadowed in Rams QB race, Sean Mannion still works to improve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

IRVINE >> Unless something goes very wrong for the Rams this season, Sean Mannion is not going to start at quarterback.

This is a team that has mortgaged its future for Cal’s Jared Goff, trading away six premium draft picks in order to move up to the top of the 2016 NFL draft. It is a team that has been content to slow-play Goff’s development, giving Case Keenum — a quintessential journeyman — the bulk of the first-team reps in training camp.

It is not a team that is structured to give Mannion meaningful regular-season snaps, even if it saw fit to draft him in the third round a year ago. So, the former Oregon State star is stuck in an awkward situation: He needs more reps to improve, but isn’t likely to get more reps until he improves.

“To a certain degree, I think there’s some truth to that,” Mannion said. “But at the same time, every quarterback gets action in the preseason. That’s the beauty of the preseason.”

Last preseason, the Rams rotated four different quarterbacks who combined to throw 124 passes in four games. Mannion certainly got a fair shot, attempting 57. The results were mixed: 31 completions for 300 yards, a touchdown, and an interception.

But when the games counted, Mannion rarely got off the bench. His lone appearance as a rookie came on the final drive of a 31-7 loss to the Bengals last November. He completed six of seven passes for 31 yards, a stat line that is mildly encouraging but also largely meaningless.

Heading into his second year, the hurdle to significant playing time looks even higher. Goff has already slide into the role of a star in waiting, usually speaking to the media on the same days as running back Todd Gurley. When Goff jogged into the Coliseum on Saturday afternoon, he drew loud cheers and chants. Mannion, who was only a few yards away, seemed almost anonymous by comparison.

Naturally, the 24-year-old insists none of this affects him. He is focused on improving every day, on making the most of his chances.

His teammates have noted signs of progress.

“Everything’s slower to him now,” said receiver Bradley Marquez, who caught two of Mannion’s six career completions. “He’s able to know the plays, so in the huddle, he commands that respect when he comes in there. He’s coming in with confidence, telling everybody what they’re gonna do.”

“From last year to right now,” said punter Johnny Hekker, “he’s leaps and bounds ahead of where he was.”

Hekker once lived with Mannion for a summer, back when both of them were at Oregon State. He remembers the quarterback being shy and quiet, but also brilliant, with a “steel trap” mind for sports trivia. And over the past several months, he’s watched Mannion become more comfortable with the Rams’ offense and its verbiage.

When that work might pay off on the field remains unclear. For fans and media, expectations for Mannion are not low as much as they are nonexistent. Mannion knows this. He also doesn’t seem to care.

“Frankly, if I need that to be motivated, or to have a chip on your shoulder, so to speak,” he said, “there’s something wrong with me.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There are several Snisher draft picks/decisions that have me scratching my head, doubting what these two are doing....Tavon...Not drafting Sam's backup...Joyner...Jones....passing on some of the O-Linemen in 2013 & 2014...but none are as questionable to ME as grabbing Mannion in the 3rd? Why not get another lineman? And why not draft Brett Hundley...over Sean Mannion? Just watching Mannion on the clips from these practices is...well...disheartening to say the least...Still has slow feet, slow decision making, even slower release...don't get it? Was he drafted as a favor to Hekker? When a guy comes in and averages 5 yards a completion, which is considerably worse than 8-10 yards a CATCH!...It just shows me, even in a blowout, you're not looking to press the game, to try and make something happen....not trying to read the field....I mean, listen to Brett Farve talk...He's a football player...Hell, let'er rip, and see what happens...Mannion proved to me, by never even being considered to backup a starter last year, he's awful, and probably always will be awful....Why he was drafted, with a 3rd round pick, I'll never know....Until he proves he's a competent NFL QB, this will always define what is wrong...or right with Snisher and his scouts....And remember, I liked Logan Thomas (still do)....so, I'm not hard to please...

And....the reason I'm harping on this is....3rd round picks are valuable...I still believe you win in this league with 3rd thru 6th round picks...that's the core of your team...Not udfa's...but 3rd thru 4th...the wealth of talent now allows these later picks to be extremely talented...and consequently valuable in building affordable depth...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
There are several Snisher draft picks/decisions that have me scratching my head, doubting what these two are doing....Tavon...Not drafting Sam's backup...Joyner...Jones....passing on some of the O-Linemen in 2013 & 2014...but none are as questionable to ME as grabbing Mannion in the 3rd? Why not get another lineman? And why not draft Brett Hundley...over Sean Mannion? Just watching Mannion on the clips from these practices is...well...disheartening to say the least...Still has slow feet, slow decision making, even slower release...don't get it? Was he drafted as a favor to Hekker? When a guy comes in and averages 5 yards a completion, which is considerably worse than 8-10 yards a CATCH!...It just shows me, even in a blowout, you're not looking to press the game, to try and make something happen....not trying to read the field....I mean, listen to Brett Farve talk...He's a football player...Hell, let'er rip, and see what happens...Mannion proved to me, by never even being considered to backup a starter last year, he's awful, and probably always will be awful....Why he was drafted, with a 3rd round pick, I'll never know....Until he proves he's a competent NFL QB, this will always define what is wrong...or right with Snisher and his scouts....And remember, I liked Logan Thomas (still do)....so, I'm not hard to please...

And....the reason I'm harping on this is....3rd round picks are valuable...I still believe you win in this league with 3rd thru 6th round picks...that's the core of your team...Not udfa's...but 3rd thru 4th...the wealth of talent now allows these later picks to be extremely talented...and consequently valuable in building affordable depth...

Best rant of the day!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

IRVINE >> Unless something goes very wrong for the Rams this season, Sean Mannion is not going to start at quarterback.

This is a team that has mortgaged its future for Cal’s Jared Goff, trading away six premium draft picks in order to move up to the top of the 2016 NFL draft. It is a team that has been content to slow-play Goff’s development, giving Case Keenum — a quintessential journeyman — the bulk of the first-team reps in training camp.

It is not a team that is structured to give Mannion meaningful regular-season snaps, even if it saw fit to draft him in the third round a year ago. So, the former Oregon State star is stuck in an awkward situation: He needs more reps to improve, but isn’t likely to get more reps until he improves.

“To a certain degree, I think there’s some truth to that,” Mannion said. “But at the same time, every quarterback gets action in the preseason. That’s the beauty of the preseason.”

Last preseason, the Rams rotated four different quarterbacks who combined to throw 124 passes in four games. Mannion certainly got a fair shot, attempting 57. The results were mixed: 31 completions for 300 yards, a touchdown, and an interception.

But when the games counted, Mannion rarely got off the bench. His lone appearance as a rookie came on the final drive of a 31-7 loss to the Bengals last November. He completed six of seven passes for 31 yards, a stat line that is mildly encouraging but also largely meaningless.

Heading into his second year, the hurdle to significant playing time looks even higher. Goff has already slide into the role of a star in waiting, usually speaking to the media on the same days as running back Todd Gurley. When Goff jogged into the Coliseum on Saturday afternoon, he drew loud cheers and chants. Mannion, who was only a few yards away, seemed almost anonymous by comparison.

Naturally, the 24-year-old insists none of this affects him. He is focused on improving every day, on making the most of his chances.

His teammates have noted signs of progress.

“Everything’s slower to him now,” said receiver Bradley Marquez, who caught two of Mannion’s six career completions. “He’s able to know the plays, so in the huddle, he commands that respect when he comes in there. He’s coming in with confidence, telling everybody what they’re gonna do.”

“From last year to right now,” said punter Johnny Hekker, “he’s leaps and bounds ahead of where he was.”

Hekker once lived with Mannion for a summer, back when both of them were at Oregon State. He remembers the quarterback being shy and quiet, but also brilliant, with a “steel trap” mind for sports trivia. And over the past several months, he’s watched Mannion become more comfortable with the Rams’ offense and its verbiage.

When that work might pay off on the field remains unclear. For fans and media, expectations for Mannion are not low as much as they are nonexistent. Mannion knows this. He also doesn’t seem to care.

“Frankly, if I need that to be motivated, or to have a chip on your shoulder, so to speak,” he said, “there’s something wrong with me.”
Mannion maybe "Overshadowed" due to press coverage of Goff/Keenum, But that doesn't mean we here at ROD are not watching him!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I dunno, Champ.

I read multiple camp reporters who claimed that Mannion was the best looking QB at the Mon practice.

All I'm saying is that S&F may see Mannion as future backup to Goff OR as future juicy trade compensation material.

I think it's premature to call him a wasted second 3rd round pick just yet. Others have criticized Fisher for NOT drafting a QB high during the Bradford years, so how do we criticize him when he finally does?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I read multiple camp reporters who claimed that Mannion was the best looking QB at the Mon practice.

All I'm saying is that S&F may see Mannion as future backup to Goff OR as future juicy trade compensation material.

I think it's premature to call him a wasted second 3rd round pick just yet. Others have criticized Fisher for NOT drafting a QB high during the Bradford years, so how do we criticize him when he finally does?
These camp reports are all over the place...It's one thing to go against the 3rd team, for 7 days, and finally look good, as compared to really knowing the offense on day one, in your 2nd year and look sharp. I see him as a career backup, and I don't think you waste draft capital on career backups...you can find those on the wavier wire...ala Keenum & Davis...
Juicy trade capital....I'm starting to love you like Boni, den da coach, PT, and mojo....trade capital...ahahahhaahahahahahahaha! You know who looked juicy to me???? about 7 or 8 of the later round QB's THIS year...why not, when a draft allows, you draft the strength of the draft heavy...That is, this year it was DL's & QB's...couple years b4 it was wr's...OL & db's a few years back..see where I'm going?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Others have criticized Fisher for NOT drafting a QB high during the Bradford years, so how do we criticize him when he finally does?
Because when he did draft a qb, he didn't draft Hundley
Lol