Over the cap noodling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Per the Over The Cap site numbers (I am assuming they are accurate) the Rams are currently $5.4M under the cap for 2015. By comparison Seattle is $21M under the cap, Arizona is $11M over and SF is $7.7M over for 2015.
With some cuts that I think are reasonable for the Rams....J. Long, Wells, Pead, Dunbar, C. Givins and Sims....these cuts would get the Rams to $21.7M below the cap. If Langford is cut that would extend the Rams to $27.7M below the cap. To me, Langford is a more valuable keep than Sims even at a higher cap number. Both may go, it is pretty likely neither will. Getting to $21 or $27M below the cap before any redo or cutting of Bradford certainly should give the Rams some options.
If the Rams offers their RFA on their original round tenders it would allow the Rams to retain Barnes, C. Reynolds, Harkey, McCleod, and A. Davis and leave the team $23.3M below the cap.
The Rams are not in a desperate situation anymore, but, there are tough choices to be made over the next couple of years. All of that talent from all of those early picks are gonna need to get paid soon.
Extending a couple of key young guy before they hit the market may be a good idea....Brockers, JJ (or Johnson if you prefer), Quick ect. I would like to see these guys get extended before they hit FA. The idea being both the calculated risk of potential savings and team continuity.
The tough choices for this year to me are Barksdale and Kendricks. I really like both players and would like both to stay in horns for various reasons. The Rams biggest weakness right now is Oline, but, a lot of teams have the same weakness. Barksdale, in my opinion, will be paid $5-7M a year by someone. I would pay him $5 but probably not much above that. When you have guys like A. Howard making close to $5M and Anthony Davis making $7.5M...., well there is not a lot of consistency to the sliding scale at RT it seems.
A case can be made to resign Hill before FA period starts. Looking at backup QB cap number randomly, here is a sample:
Arizona....Stanton $3.8M
San Diego..Clemens $1.8M
Seattle....T. Jackson $1.2M
Detroit....D. Orlovsky $635,000
S.F.....Gabbart $2M
NYJ....Vick $4M
Carolina....D. Anderson $1.1
Tennessee....Whitehurst $2.7M

Hill with a salary around $1.7M or so fall in line with guys like Clemens and Gabbart. Guys like Stanton are making quite a bit more but are not better. Some vets can be had cheaper probably, like Orlovsky or Derek Anderson, but, again, I don't see an improvement there. If a vet back is going to be the plan either adding a guy like Glennon, who is a young vet, or keeping Hill is the best option to me.
I would rather extend Hill before FA because I could see him getting a few offers based on seeing the field this year like what happened with a less valued guy like Clemens.

Sadly I think Barksdale and Kendricks are probably both going to get offers the team won't be interested in matching. I hope I am wrong about both guys. I have given up the idea of getting Wiz (the best FA C in my opinion) as Oakland has about $50M under the cap before any cuts.
Tell me how wrong I am....

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The Rams will have enough money to make as many moves as they want to make.

They've structured many contracts so that they'd be able to free up space this offseason. I feel like they were somewhat limited in what they were building, probably by design as they wanted to wait for the young core of this team to start to gel. Now I think it's time to add some reliable vets and finish building a legitimate contender.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Good work, Fearsome. Informative and well put.

Sometimes I think the Rams have a good eye for OLine talent (Barksdale, Warford, Martin), and sometimes I'm dumbfounded (Wells, Joseph). Joe B is good but can be upgraded.

Rodney Hudson, Orlando Franklin, and Clint Boling are my FA targets (I want two of the three). Hill definitely needs to be re-signed. I expect all the RFAs to return except Davis. I believe our QB competition for Sam will come via trade. Your post makes me believe all my hopes are affordable.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good work, Fearsome. Informative and well put.

Sometimes I think the Rams have a good eye for OLine talent (Barksdale, Warford, Martin), and sometimes I'm dumbfounded (Wells, Joseph). Joe B is good but can be upgraded.

Rodney Hudson, Orlando Franklin, and Clint Boling are my FA targets (I want two of the three). Hill definitely needs to be re-signed. I expect all the RFAs to return except Davis. I believe our QB competition for Sam will come via trade. Your post makes me believe all my hopes are affordable.
Yeah, it will be interesting. Davis probably won't be back, I kinda feel bad for the kid. High effort and sort of bailed the Rams out for awhile....that is why I would be a terrible GM....I would want to pay everyone forever if they contributed to the Rams at all.
Barksdale will be interesting as he is a good player who had some struggles this year....he is still just 25 with probably his best football ahead of him. I think someone will over pay for him. I hope we can keep him.
I have read a couple people mention Boling. I am not familiar with him really, but, the Rams need help and he is getting talk on here so I am sure he would be a good addition.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Barksdale will be interesting as he is a good player who had some struggles this year....he is still just 25 with probably his best football ahead of him. I think someone will over pay for him. I hope we can keep him.

Me too! And yes, somebody will likely overpay for a 25 year old, 6'5" 326lb, durable tackle with a great attitude and no off-field issues. Big Joe struggled more than usual this season, but he has shown his worth more often than not. We all hope for and anticipate the return of Saffold to RG, and then we'll see the 'old' Barksdale we took for granted.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Me too! And yes, somebody will likely overpay for a 25 year old, 6'5" 326lb, durable tackle with a great attitude and no off-field issues. Big Joe struggled more than usual this season, but he has shown his worth more often than not. We all hope for and anticipate the return of Saffold to RG, and then we'll see the 'old' Barksdale we took for granted.

Someone I read on another board pointed out that he struggles with 3-4 defenses, so maybe it's just a matter of learning how to adjust.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Someone I read on another board pointed out that he struggles with 3-4 defenses, so maybe it's just a matter of learning how to adjust.

Playing next to Davin Joseph will make any RT look bad as well.

SierraRam

Recreational User

I'm certainly no expert, but Barksdale faced 3-4 D's the year before too, and seemed to be ok. The BIG difference IMO is who he had lined up next to him in 2014 vs. 2013. Davin Joseph is absolutely horrible, and Big Joe had to be affected by all the free running defenders on his left flying untouched at our QB's. I remember a post after Jake Long's injury about how it would set off a domino-effect of OL issues. That OP was prophetic!

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Playing next to Davin Joseph will make any RT look bad as well.
True, but, he got beat plenty of time around the edge by speed rushers, that didn't really happen much last year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, the 2nd rounder tenders were $2.3M. I could see getting Mcleod with the second round tender. Guys like Barnes and Reynolds have some value though and are not really overpaid at that original round tender.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
True, but, he got beat plenty of time around the edge by speed rushers, that didn't really happen much last year.

I think part of that was him looking inside worrying about having to help with the OG's responsibility. With speedy edge rushers, if the T isn't 100% focused on staying with his guy, he's beat...and we saw that with Barksdale.

Funny...we didn't see that much when Saffold was next to him. So, I think that's the difference. When you have a Pro Bowl caliber ROG next to you, it's a lot easier to focus and kick out. When you're sweating the ROG, that slight hesitation in the NFL will see that speed rusher quite literally run right by you.

As we saw. I'm all for #bringJoeBarksdaleBack.

What I really don't want to see is for them to lose JB and for them to move Jake Long to RT. Couple that with another year of Scott Wells and I will self induce a year long coma so I just don't have to watch..

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
As far as Hill.If the Rams bring in a vet to compete with Bradford there's no reason to retain him. If the Rams draft a QB high to compete I could see a role for him. But it's hard to carry 3 QB's on a roster all season.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think part of that was him looking inside worrying about having to help with the OG's responsibility. With speedy edge rushers, if the T isn't 100% focused on staying with his guy, he's beat...and we saw that with Barksdale.

Funny...we didn't see that much when Saffold was next to him. So, I think that's the difference. When you have a Pro Bowl caliber ROG next to you, it's a lot easier to focus and kick out. When you're sweating the ROG, that slight hesitation in the NFL will see that speed rusher quite literally run right by you.

As we saw. I'm all for #bringJoeBarksdaleBack.

What I really don't want to see is for them to lose JB and for them to move Jake Long to RT. Couple that with another year of Scott Wells and I will self induce a year long coma so I just don't have to watch..
Maybe, but, if there is a speed rusher coming and no help from a RB or TE I don't know why a T would worry about the G....its not like he is going to release his guy to go help out. Barksdale had plenty of time he was just able to push a rusher around the pocket last year...either he was a little dinged and half a step slower or film revealed a way to exploit him. Either way, he is 25 and talented and I would expect him to bounce back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're fine cap wise. Once we cut some players, we can re-sign all our guys and sign a few bargain FAs if we want to. Could go after a big fish but I wouldn't.

Keep in mind that OTC doesn't account for rollover money.(not that the Rams have much)