Over My Dead Body

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BREAKING NEWS
The Washington Redskins have been re-named and have slightly altered the logo.
tumblr_ma3o9izuTm1r602aro1_400.jpg

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think comparing these two situations is a bit unfounded. While physically harming someone is much more egregious than verbally offending a person... being offensive, derogatory, and discriminatory toward an entire race of people rather than one individual isn't quite the same argument.

I didn't make the initial comparison of which was action was worse, but I did respond to someone who did with a jokey answer because I found the comparison silly to begin with.

Thanks for setting me straight though, I won't comment on racism versus assault in regards to which is worse again.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I didn't make the initial comparison of which was action was worse, but I did respond to someone who did with a jokey answer because I found the comparison silly to begin with.

Thanks for setting me straight though, I won't comment on racism versus assault in regards to which is worse again.
I simply replied to your post as it was the latest in regard to that specific part of the discussion. Good lord man, I spoke specifically of the content...i didnt "set anyone straight"...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I agree it's inevitable, and understand, (even though it's pc driven), the thought behind the protests, but disagreee completely that there is a "large contingent" driving this.
Typical political, vocal minority, BS.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.:shades:)
Whether it is a vocal minority or not doesn't mean that the minority isnt a large contingent of people. At minimum it is a group of leaders of those people it relates to. If there werent people behind it it wouldnt drag on for the number of years it has and it wouldnt gain the steam it has.

We can simply claim media and political BS in regard to any current event, but the fact of the matter is what gains momentum usually are the subjects that the public takes or has a vested interest in.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Unfortunately, this issue gets attention because politicians can just make a sound bite about it and then stop caring about it.
Bingo. This is really a no lose for them. Make a little grandstand BS speech while others do all the work and spend the money anyway and if it succeeds, you can hang a hat on it. If it fails, you cared.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Whether it is a vocal minority or not doesn't mean that the minority isnt a large contingent of people. At minimum it is a group of leaders of those people it relates to. If there werent people behind it it wouldnt drag on for the number of years it has and it wouldnt gain the steam it has.

We can simply claim media and political BS in regard to any current event, but the fact of the matter is what gains momentum usually are the subjects that the public takes or has a vested interest in.
My only contention would be that if it is a PC issue, it doesn't need a hell of a lot of numbers to make political hay. There have been many examples of a vocal minority getting their way out of some misguided notion that they are protected against being offended.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's a fucking tyranny by the minority is what it is,I'm not a Native American,I'm an American and I'm offended that a real loss of liberty is at stake ,not some conjured offense many people of the same ethnicity as the supposed offended don't even feel.

The first amendment protects free speech which might be objected to / offend, pleasing speech NEEDS no protection.
And so those who misconstrue might gain a better understanding , free speech is not GRANTED by the government ,the government was organized TO PROTECT IT,it IS it's purpose ,this is a gross miscarriage of the intent of forming this country.
You have the right to life, the right to liberty, the right to pursuit of happiness even if there is NO United States, we just put this country together to establish a place where those rights could be protected. Those rights are yours,governments can't establish a right they can ONLY protect them or in this case take them away.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
What are you disagreeing with? If there wasn't a large contingent of people it wouldn't be news...and it wouldn't be gaining steam like it is. I mean, it gets discussed on this board almost weekly.

I disagree that there are necessarily a large contingent of people upset. Just because it makes the news does not automatically mean large numbers of people are upset. You can have one without the other. That's all I am saying.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I disagree that there are necessarily a large contingent of people upset. Just because it makes the news does not automatically mean large numbers of people are upset. You can have one without the other. That's all I am saying.
I'll add this too: There are likely a lot of people who are upset *now*, because it became a hot topic. Meaning, they could have cared less before, but now that there's an issue being debated, all of a sudden they feel it incumbent upon themselves to fall on the side of morality. I'm willing to bet that there's just a ton of people who fall into that group. And that's not a narrative of the board members. I'm talking about the general public of course.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If it were me I'd rename the team with a symbol ala Prince. Just to make things messy.

Introducing the Washington
170px-Prince_logo.svg.png

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll add this too: There are likely a lot of people who are upset *now*, because it became a hot topic. Meaning, they could have cared less before, but now that there's an issue being debated, all of a sudden they feel it incumbent upon themselves to fall on the side of morality. I'm willing to bet that there's just a ton of people who fall into that group. And that's not a narrative of the board members. I'm talking about the general public of course.

I have to wonder how many of the Senators gave this a moments thought, and I also wonder how many of them have been to the stadium to watch the team play on freebie tickets.......I wish I could find out and a reporter could ask why the sudden interest and change of heart.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Speaking of which, earlier this morning on TV I saw where Congress called in Dr Oz for making a claim that a weight loss pill was a "miracle" on television.

Go Gubmint!

I think he meant it was a "miracle" money maker. ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Just call them the Washington Politicians. Nothing else needs to be said.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
We have to defend freedom of speech if we want to keep it.

Freedom of speech is all about "offensive speech".

In a free country, you have the right to be racist.

In a free country, you can use offensive words or names.

I don't defend racists because I agree with them.

I defend their right of liberty so I can maintain my own liberties.

When we don't come to the defense of liberty, we're threatening our own liberties.

Today it's political correctness or racism, and tomorrow it might be religion or politics.

And the only thing that protects us is the concept of individual liberty.

bluecoconuts

Legend
From a pure legal constitutional standpoint, nobodies first amendment rights are being violated. First amendment rights don't mean you can day whatever you wish without facing backlash from others or consequences from your workplace. So again while I agree that the government has better things to worry about, I disagree that the first amendment rights of anyone is being threatened right now.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Ding ding ding ding ding! Plus, when you throw out a "motherhood and apple pie" topic everyone can jump on, it deflects from stuff you'd rather keep quiet - funny that.

(X - you need to hop on a plane; Dude and the Abiders are in town this weekend).

AnarchyRam

Rookie
From a pure legal constitutional standpoint, nobodies first amendment rights are being violated. First amendment rights don't mean you can day whatever you wish without facing backlash from others or consequences from your workplace. So again while I agree that the government has better things to worry about, I disagree that the first amendment rights of anyone is being threatened right now.

The U.S. Patent office (or U.S. Government) is violating the rights of a business to name it's team what it wants, and to further protect that name.

The only kind of speech that needs to be protected is the offensive kind.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The U.S. Patent office (or U.S. Government) is violating the rights of a business to name it's team what it wants, and to further protect that name.

The only kind of speech that needs to be protected is the offensive kind.

Which is the law. The law states that disparaging terms cannot be trademarked. Meaning you can't go and trade mark the N word or anything like that. The debate was if the word was considered disparaging or not, and after reviewing complaints and looking back at the team over the years they settled on it was. Meaning they had to cancel it due to what the law says.

Which again does not violate the first amendment. If they threw Snyder in jail or the government fined him then sure. However following the law doesn't violate it.