Over My Dead Body

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
You are putting words in my mouth. I think Sterling should have been removed long before his conversation had been taped. He should have been removed for not allowing blacks to live in the buildings he owned.

What do you think is worse, Ray Rice beating his wife or what Sterling said.
i was asking i wasn't putting words in your mouth. I would consider beating worse. But i dont consider him beating his wife if she went to jail 2. My mother always told me not to put my hands on females unless they put there hands on u first. And before u ask no i haven't hit any females Im just saying

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
You are putting words in my mouth. I think Sterling should have been removed long before his conversation had been taped. He should have been removed for not allowing blacks to live in the buildings he owned.

What do you think is worse, Ray Rice beating his wife or what Sterling said.

Racist comments or assault? Hmmm...
Which is worse?

Well, If I can chose between someone calling me cracker, honky, devil, or whatever or getting punched in the face by Ray Rice I have a pretty good idea which way I'm going to go.

Keep in mind though, my being a ROD millionaire may be affecting my perspective on social issues.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You think Snyder is going to give them that after this debacle? I wouldn't.

He will, he's faught the good fight...There are times you have to understand what you're up against and IMO Snyder will engage in the art of compromise.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Obviously the name offends some Native Americans... but elsewhere, there are high schools with a huge majority of Native American students and administration who proudly name their school teams Redskins.

Unfortunately, this isn't mainly about offended Native Americans. This is about non-Native Americans PC-offended on behalf of Native Americans. That's the most racist thing of all about this. Hopefully it gets overturned again, because it shouldn't be government's job to force things like this.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Racist comments or assault? Hmmm...
Which is worse?

Well, If I can chose between someone calling me cracker, honky, devil, or whatever or getting punched in the face by Ray Rice I have a pretty good idea which way I'm going to go.

Keep in mind though, my being a ROD millionaire may be affecting my perspective on social issues.
I think comparing these two situations is a bit unfounded. While physically harming someone is much more egregious than verbally offending a person... being offensive, derogatory, and discriminatory toward an entire race of people rather than one individual isn't quite the same argument.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Obviously the name offends some Native Americans... but elsewhere, there are high schools with a huge majority of Native American students and administration who proudly name their school teams Redskins.

Unfortunately, this isn't mainly about offended Native Americans. This is about non-Native Americans PC-offended on behalf of Native Americans. That's the most racist thing of all about this. Hopefully it gets overturned again, because it shouldn't be government's job to force things like this.
All that has happened is the Patent office has taken away the trademark rights. No one from the government has decided they couldn't use the name.

Just to be clear...I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I'm playing devils advocate. In most issues I am very conservative and vote as such. So though I may be arguing against some of your points it isn't because I am some extreme lefty/PC supporter...just simply not agreeing with all of the points as to "why" keeping the name should be. It also seems to me that some people are jumping to conclusions about what role the government is taking in this (so far).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has been reported on 101ESPN that the Patent office granted the Redskins name and Logo a patent in the 60's. Today, they took it away, for whatever reason....

That makes them.......No, I won't say it..lol

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
A name change is inevitable. It's become exponentially clear that there is a large contingent that takes issues with the name...if there wasn't it wouldn't be the issue it is.

If I'm Daniel Snyder I'm putting up a faux fight to satisfy the fanbase...while behind the scenes I'm generating a marketing plan for a name and Identity change.

I agree it's inevitable, and understand, (even though it's pc driven), the thought behind the protests, but disagreee completely that there is a "large contingent" driving this.
Typical political, vocal minority, BS.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.:shades:)

Ramatik

Starter
What are you disagreeing with? If there wasn't a large contingent of people it wouldn't be news...and it wouldn't be gaining steam like it is. I mean, it gets discussed on this board almost weekly.

It's not a large contingent at all. It is a vocal minority. And that has nothing to do with why anything is in the news. A major organization just got it's patents taken away over stupidity. The MAJORITY of Native Americans don't really give a rip.

Now I'm going to go out and take it out on somebody wearing a 49er shirt. Because you know all evil really starts in San Fran.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
All that has happened is the Patent office has taken away the trademark rights. No one from the government has decided they couldn't use the name.
It's essentially the same difference. Without patent protection, people would be free to make bootleg Redskin merchandise without legal repercussions. There's no way any NFL team could stand that, so this decision made by an agency of the government forces the team to change their name.

Ergo, the government is forcing the team to change their name.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
My favorite comment on the PFT article on it:

Snyder should change his name to "the team formerly known as the Redskins"

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If I were Snyder, I wouldn't fight it at all. I'd just suit my team up week one as the "THROBBING MEMBERS" and not even crack a smile. Although I like the "Fighting Whities" better but I think there is already a patent issued on that name. Go figure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If I were Snyder, I wouldn't fight it at all. I'd just suit my team up week one as the "THROBBING MEMBERS" and not even crack a smile.
Hilarious. That would be the most epic thing anyone could do in the history of ever.
Just name your team the most ridiculous thing you can think of as a big FU to the government.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is ridiculous. Eventually it will be against the law to use any remark that has the slightest possibility to upset someone.

I'd go with the throbbing members. Great name for a team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The PETA assholes are probably butt-hurt about it.....

3034873-080.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This whole topic pisses me off.

Too bad these people and lawmakers are focused on something so meaningless when there ARE REAL ISSUES of significance not getting their time and effort.

Pathetic.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
This whole topic pisses me off.

Too bad these people and lawmakers are focused on something so meaningless when there ARE REAL ISSUES of significance not getting their time and effort.

Pathetic.
Unfortunately, this issue gets attention because politicians can just make a sound bite about it and then stop caring about it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
So are they gonna have to change the name AND logo? Or just the name?
No they don't have to change the name ,and I wouldn't, I'd tell those mother stabbing father rapers that if they thought there was offense NOW wait till all the knock off unprotected merchandise hits the market and it's on half the backs of Native Americans on the rez, the half or better that think the fucking name is a compliment, the patent office could give a fuck about how they feal.

The Interstate Commerce Clause is gonna destroy the entire rest of theconstitution