over 43 million

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
Around 43m is roughly average for what the top 5 players on any NFL team make. Including the really good ones and the really bad ones

Robert

Rookie
Freed Cap Space
Long 12 million,
Cook 5 million,
JL 5.5 million,
Saffold 3 million,
Foles 800k, 12.2 mil for 2017.
Britt 4.8 million
Total cap for next year 69 million

So your looking at 26 million in cap space. I think Cook is a for sure cut and Long will be too if he doesn't restructure his contract. Best scenario is to try and get ride of Foles in a trade somehow. I think Saffold and JL stay unless they go after a lineman in FA or the draft same for MLB. Which takes up money or picks for the offensive weapons we need. I would add Britt to the list as well.

iced

seeing as how pathetic this offense is, i don't think you can really make an argument to keep anyone on offense

nighttrain

Legend
Saffold and Cook for sure. I'm not a big fan of Britt, but I'd wait to see what we have for next year before I cut him loose. I don't think his contract is that large and he is at least servicable. He might even be above average if we get an actual NFL QB to throw the ball.
Hard to knock any of our WR'S with current QB play, only TE i'd keep is Kendricks
train

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
seeing as how pathetic this offense is, i don't think you can really make an argument to keep anyone on offense

Seriously? So lets dump Gurley and Tavon?

And while I'm not happy with our OL play, do consider that we have no continuity due to injuries AND the fact we are relying heavily on rookies. I wouldn't object to bringing in more talent to that unit through draft or FA, but let's not throw out all of last year's draft picks just yet, ok?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hard to knock any of our WR'S with current QB play, only TE i'd keep is Kendricks
train

That's true to a degree, and I would like to see what they could do with a competent NFL QB (not to mention an imaginative OC and a philosophy that put them in better positions to succeed). That being said, that unit is still a good candidate for a talent upgrade.

nighttrain

Legend
That's true to a degree, and I would like to see what they could do with a competent NFL QB (not to mention an imaginative OC and a philosophy that put them in better positions to succeed). That being said, that unit is still a good candidate for a talent upgrade.
With Bailey unlikely to return, and Tavon more of a gadget player than WR, there are at least two spots open
train

Stel

Starter
. . . but, I think he is due $6 M or something by March....not sure, going off of memory.

He is, but I think that is guaranteed so it counts against the cap whether he is here or not.

Frustration leads to fans wanting change. I'm with you. However, you have to consider the realities of the NFL.
1. Even with the contracts fans don't like, the Rams have at least $38 million in cap space for 2016.
2. For 2016, on defense, we have 3 starters who are FAs: Jenkins, Johnson, Barron, and McLeod, who will have to be resigned or replaced.
3. For 2016, on offense, we essentially return all of our starters.
4. For 2016, we have several key reserves who are FAs: Hayes, Sims, and Fairley.
5. If you cut Long , Cook , JL , Saffold , and Foles, their positions would have to be replaced, too. 6. With all of those FAs and cuts, you will have 12 starters or key reserves to replace (9 on defense). Doable, but a daunting task, especially on defense.

fearsomefour

Legend
He is, but I think that is guaranteed so it counts against the cap whether he is here or not.

Frustration leads to fans wanting change. I'm with you. However, you have to consider the realities of the NFL.
1. Even with the contracts fans don't like, the Rams have at least $38 million in cap space for 2016.
2. For 2016, on defense, we have 3 starters who are FAs: Jenkins, Johnson, Barron, and McLeod, who will have to be resigned or replaced.
3. For 2016, on offense, we essentially return all of our starters.
4. For 2016, we have several key reserves who are FAs: Hayes, Sims, and Fairley.
5. If you cut Long , Cook , JL , Saffold , and Foles, their positions would have to be replaced, too. 6. With all of those FAs and cuts, you will have 12 starters or key reserves to replace (9 on defense). Doable, but a daunting task, especially on defense.
Cutting Cook, Britt and Saffold are the first to go to me because they create cap space that can be used to help resign, just not the starters, but the many depth players the Rams have as FA this year. How many of those do they want to keep? Who knows? Replacing Cook and Britt won't be hard in terms of production as they are not doing much (not all their fault).
Resigning JJ, Johnson, Barron, McLeod, Barnes, Fairley, Quick and several of the depth guys (this is my priority list) with what would be $51M (while setting aside the rookie allowance)....is that doable? I don't know.
Will Long be cut? Its possible but I don't think so really. Would love to see him redo his deal, but, I doubt Long would up for that. If cutting Foles save a little toward those goals it is worth doing. However, I get an owner/FO may not want to cut a guy who will need to be replaced if they are on the hook for millions. Who knows what happens this offseason.
My fear is a mass exodus of talent on D....certainly possible.

iced

Seriously? So lets dump Gurley and Tavon?

And while I'm not happy with our OL play, do consider that we have no continuity due to injuries AND the fact we are relying heavily on rookies. I wouldn't object to bringing in more talent to that unit through draft or FA, but let's not throw out all of last year's draft picks just yet, ok?

They're not pending free agents - so I wouldn't cut them

every team has injuries - its incredibly naive to leave the position so neglected as it is.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They're not pending free agents - so I wouldn't cut them

every team has injuries - its incredibly naive to leave the position so neglected as it is.

We agree it should have been more forcefully addressed earlier, but I don't see how getting rid of the guys that we drafted last year would help. Keeping them healthy would help, which is not within anyone's control.

Where we need new guys is at QB and WR, and a pass catching TE (one that could actually, you know, catch and run routes and stuff) would also be helpful.

But there is a case to be made for keeping a lot of our guys on O.

And it's not just a player issue, it's a coaching issue and a general philosophy issue.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
a pass catching TE (one that could actually, you know, catch and run routes and stuff) would also be helpful.

whoa!whoa!whoa! easy on that tight end catching stuff thingy.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal...you know.. tight ends catching footballs.
you guys kill me with this crazy mythology stuff.;)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt and Cook - GONE

Foles - we need to keep him based on the contract and the fact that if nothing else, he'd be a good backup QB

Saffold - simply has to go due to injuries, he can't stay healthy

Long - cut as much for him as us. Raiders are much closer than we are having Derek Carr - he can go and play where his dad did

JL - it is my opinion that we will not be a great defense until we get an above average MLB. But with so many needs on offense, we cannot afford to replace our MLB as well. Hopefully we draft his replacement in this draft though.

iced

We agree it should have been more forcefully addressed earlier, but I don't see how getting rid of the guys that we drafted last year would help. Keeping them healthy would help, which is not within anyone's control.

again, I wasn't talking about Austin and gurley - they're still under contract and aren't pending free agents. Those are arguably the only players I wouldn't cut - and that list is small.

however there is a much bigger list of pending free agents and/or questionable signings/resignings - outside of GRob, I'm not worried about offensive players still on rookie contracts

Where we need new guys is at QB and WR, and a pass catching TE (one that could actually, you know, catch and run routes and stuff) would also be helpful.

But there is a case to be made for keeping a lot of our guys on O.

And it's not just a player issue, it's a coaching issue and a general philosophy issue.

I personally would like to Kendricks as the #1 TE - I don't think he'll be a world beater but I like the different things you can do with a well rounded TE vs a receiving TE with questionable hands.

It's also a drafting issue. I might be one of the few that is not upset with Cignetti because I do see areas of improvement, but most of that goes back to Fisher and Snead when it comes to addressing the offense, and his style of it. I don't think Fisher knows how to build an offense for this day in age.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you consider most of those guys are gone, maybe all if they don't agree to pay cuts, and then add in a very extensive list of key FAs... this is going to be a very, very important offseason for this team.