Outside the box scheduling change

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It seems an expanded schedule gets talked about more and more every year. We will probably see something change in the next 3-5 years would be my guess.

What is generally brought up is going to 18 regular season games and 2 preseason games. To me, I think 4 preseason games is too many but I also think 2 isn't enough. 3 is the perfect number.

As I made the 45 minute drive to work the wheels in my head were turning. Why not do a 17 game regular season with 3 preseason games? The obvious argument is the extra game, is it a road game or a home game? How do they decide on which teams get an extra home game and who doesn't?

Well, my idea is that nobody gets an extra home game. Let's go with this 17 game season. I propose we add a 17th neutral site game. We expand on the London, Mexico City concept. We even add major US cities that don't have NFL teams. You could play an additional opponent that isn't part of the rest of the scheduling guidelines.

Now, you could even expand on this idea. Perhaps you don't even have it predetermined who plays who in the final week of the season and it's treated in such a manner like the BCS. The teams are paired up at different stadiums based on certain criteria to make it the best game possible...maybe something is on the line...maybe it's a rematch for non-divisional opponents that had a great game earlier that season or it ended controversially.

Just one of my crazy ideas....

Moostache

Rookie
Just kill the pre-season and go to a 4 week training camp with informal scrimmages between geographically close teams (Rams - Chiefs - Titans/Colts - Bears).
Rotate the opponents and maybe have the 2 scrimmages in locations like the Lindenwood stadium - small, intimate and generate actual demand for tickets/admission.

The idea of sending teams around the globe on some kind of weird amalgam of college bowl games and exhibition games is a bridge too far for me.

But, just like anything else, if you find a way to increase the pile of money for the pig owners of the NFL, they will move heaven and earth to grab that cash....makes me wish these guys would start dying off and build freaking pyramids to bury their wealth with them...

V3

Hall of Fame
I actually like this idea a lot more than what the NFL is doing to teams currently. It's complete BS to take home games away from cities. This would not only stop that issue but also grow the sport in other countries, ensure everyone has to do one of these types of games(more fair), and get rid of one of the wasted preseason games that people HAVE to pay for even though it's an exhibition match with mostly people that won't even play in the NFL.

If you're looking for another crazy idea to go along with this:

The NFL should buy it's own supersonic jet(or two) so these extremely long trips to Europe are cut down to a matter of only a couple hours or so. The NFL can certainly afford it. The teams that have to go to Europe to play are allowed to use the jet.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The idea of sending teams around the globe on some kind of weird amalgam of college bowl games and exhibition games is a bridge too far for me.

But, just like anything else, if you find a way to increase the pile of money for the pig owners of the NFL, they will move heaven and earth to grab that cash....makes me wish these guys would start dying off and build freaking pyramids to bury their wealth with them...
That was only an expansion on my original premise.

...and I agree with your opinion on the owners.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate the idea of extending the season, there's too many injuries as it is. If anything, I'd rather cut back to 14..... And I hate pre season games. Why not play pre-season games overseas? Each team plays 3 pre-season games and 1 of which is outside US

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Nobody ever likes this idea, but I think they should add another bye week. The physical demand of 16 games is insane, and everyone wants to have a longer football season, so why not? We'd be treated to 18 regular season weeks, so that's a win. I can't believe NFL owners haven't lobbied for this either, since you'd essentially increase TV revenue by 1/17th, without having to pay anything extra.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody ever likes this idea, but I think they should add another bye week. The physical demand of 16 games is insane, and everyone wants to have a longer football season, so why not? We'd be treated to 18 regular season weeks, so that's a win. I can't believe NFL owners haven't lobbied for this either, since you'd essentially increase TV revenue by 1/17th, without having to pay anything extra.
That's a pretty good concept.