Outside linebacker is sure to be one of the Rams' most important camp battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Outside linebacker is sure to be one of the Rams' most important camp battles​

By signing Leonard Floyd to a four-year deal worth $64 million back in March, the Los Angeles Rams were able to keep their top edge rusher from last season. But in their 3-4 scheme, there are typically two outside linebackers on the field together.

Samson Ebukam was the No. 2 edge rusher for Los Angeles in 2020, though he only played 35.5% of the defensive snaps. Behind him were Justin Hollins (34.1%), Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (15.4%) and Terrell Lewis (12.1%).

Ebukam signed with the 49ers in free agency, which leaves the Rams with the question of who will be the primary edge rusher opposite Floyd.

Floyd will rarely come off the field, but the Rams still need another starting outside linebacker to step up and at this point in time, it’s anyone’s guess as to who that will be. Hollins seems like the top candidate after playing 349 snaps last season, but he was also playing under Brandon Staley, who coached him in Denver in 2019.

Will new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris have different ideas at this spot in 2021? Lewis missed significant time as a rookie with a couple of injuries, but if he can stay healthy, he has more upside than any of the Rams’ edge rushers besides Floyd. He’s 6-foot-5 and has a rare combination of size and explosiveness for the position. Durability is just a major concern.

Okoronkwo has missed 28 games in three NFL seasons, making this a pivotal season in his career. With just 2.5 sacks to his name, Okoronkwo has disappointed with the Rams up to this point.

Then there are rookie Chris Garrett and veteran Justin Lawler. Garrett absolutely dominated the Division II level in 2019, but he has a steep learning curve going from a lower level of competition in college to the NFL. Lawler has been around for a few years, but he hasn’t played since 2018.

Sean McVay and Morris will have to keep a close eye on the outside linebackers when training camp kicks off in late July because this is a critical position on defense. If the Rams are once again forced to rely on Aaron Donald and Floyd to generate pressure, teams will send extra blockers Donald’s way and chip Floyd with tight ends at the line.

Floyd will pressure the quarterback from his spot on the left side of the defensive front, but rushing the passer from the right side against left tackles is paramount for the Rams. In an ideal world, Lewis steps up and has a strong second season in the NFL. But in all likelihood, it will continue to be a rotation between Hollins, Lewis and Okoronkwo.

Whether that will be good enough remains to be seen.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Obviously this is an interesting battle and preseason will help the Rams sort this out. Terrell Lewis would be the starter, but he's hurt even when he's not hurt. I liked what I watched from Hollins last season and felt in Denver moving him inside was a mistake, hopefully, Hollins can prove to be even more productive in 2021.

Obo Okoronkwo has talent and might be the perfect guy to rotate with Hollins, if Lewis and his knee can't get on the field. Chris don't call me Kelly Garrett might surprise, however, it's a major step up and Justin Lawler the grandson of Jerry, could make the squad with an excellent preseason. Keep in mind, Joe Barry now the DC in Green Bay is no longer involved in coaching linebackers as it's all on Chris Shula and Thad Bogardus to coach this unit up, which might showcase how important Barry was to the Staff or if Shula has the goods.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Obviously this is an interesting battle and preseason will help the Rams sort this out. Terrell Lewis would be the starter, but he's hurt even when he's not hurt. I liked what I watched from Hollins last season and felt in Denver moving him inside was a mistake, hopefully, Hollins can prove to be even more productive in 2021.

Obo Okoronkwo has talent and might be the perfect guy to rotate with Hollins, if Lewis and his knee can't get on the field. Chris don't call me Kelly Garrett might surprise, however, it's a major step up and Justin Lawler the grandson of Jerry, could make the squad with an excellent preseason. Keep in mind, Joe Barry now the DC in Green Bay is no longer involved in coaching linebackers as it's all on Chris Shula and Thad Bogardus to coach this unit up, which might showcase how important Barry was to the Staff or if Shula has the goods.
Think you have a great grasp of this OLB'er situation like that you brought out that it a new day for this LB'ing cadre now that LB coach Barry has finally moved on. I believe this is a very big plus IMO!

You have now mentioned Justin Lawler several times......excellent entry if healthy for DC Morris too. Lawler has hung around now for 3 seasons & spent two of the three PUP'd indicated to me he has something special to bring to this unit. Lawler was a highly productive edge who totaled 9.5 sacks in his last season @ SMU. JL's size is one, he can be a 43DE or an OLB'er without many issues. Something to sure peak Morris's interest.

What I noticed in his rookie season before the injuries hit him was he just did everything well & was very solid for a totally unknown drafted rookie.

He is also shown to be a sure tackler. I look forward to hearing reports on JL in TC as a possible starting prospect to team with Floyd. I would expect that JL has greatly improved his overall physical body & condition since we last saw him play in 2018. I should remind everyone he suited up for all 19 including the Superbowl in 2018.

Justin Hollins getting full-time exposure & his first full Ram OTA/Mimi/Training Camp & Preseason to just the OLB post (excluding ILB'er training 2019/2020 seasons @ Denver) is sure to assist & sharpen him fully to be the lead dog for that open vacancy. I like JH myself & liked Snead's decision to acquire JH after the 2020 season started.

Og Okoronkwo has far too much defensive lineman in him to be a full-fledged effective starting OLB'er. IMO it would be best to utilize Og's best talent as a designated pass rusher & reliever for both of the starting OLB'ers. This is not necessarily a negative comment here by me on Og because this DL & OLB'er unit is in bad need of good pass rushers! Thus Og might be what DC Morris & LB'er coach Shula desire! Og might also be utilized more as a weakside DE in any new 43 DL defenses Morris may ad.

My opinion of Terrell Lewis is well known here. I have written him off for this season.

What newcomers @ OLB'er bring of course is unknown.....drafted Chris Garrett, then there's well-traveled since 2020 from NYJ's & Baltimore PS is John Daka & UDFA 2021 Max Roberts fill in the OLB unit for now. Rookie Roberts could very well be a big sleeper as a pass rusher in TC look out!
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2940969-max-roberts-nfl-draft-2021-scouting-report-for-boston-college-edge