out of the free agents that are left.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yep. I prefer a strong lead blocker who is also a threat to run the football if the RB splits out. Whenever that happens now, everyone on defense, in the stands, and at home know it's a passing play.

WE have had this discussion in the past, so I know your stance on it, but for me, I just don't see the need to tie up a roster spot for a guy who may get 10 carries over the course of an entire season.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
WE have had this discussion in the past, so I know your stance on it, but for me, I just don't see the need to tie up a roster spot for a guy who may get 10 carries over the course of an entire season.
To me, FB is less about carries and more about skilled blocking. I'd tend to think, in general, a pure FB does a better job at that than a TE moved into the FB position.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
To me, FB is less about carries and more about skilled blocking. I'd tend to think, in general, a pure FB does a better job at that than a TE moved into the FB position.

and yet, true FBs are going the way of the non soccer style kicker.....they will be extinct before long

ramaslama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know were probably done with free agents but I feel there are several free agents out there that could make are team better. that's if we can sign some for the min salary. ;)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can see both of them being interchangeable in the FB/H-Back role this year, with Harkey actually getting more reps as an in-line TE.

Agreed and Harkey is one of the guys I love. UDRFA although considered the best blocking TE of his draft class when he came out of UCLA and shocked many with his ability to catch the football.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yep. I prefer a strong lead blocker who is also a threat to run the football if the RB splits out. Whenever that happens now, everyone on defense, in the stands, and at home know it's a passing play.

Or an end around which use to catch defenses by surprise, but nowadays not so much.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I don't either.

But, I would like to see the Rams use a roster spot on a better lead blocker who ALSO has the ability to run the ball AND give defenses something to consider when a back splits out (instead of simply pinning their ears back going after Bradford). Someone capable of being a runner if injuries mount in a game, (perhaps lessening the need for an extra RB on the game day active roster).

FB = lead blocker, pass catcher, special teamer, runner
TE = lead blocker, pass catcher, special teamer, inline blocker

IMO, the team have plenty who fill the second category. But they would be better off if ONE of the four kept could fit the first category. And especially, if that player is a better lead blocker.

Harkey does a decent job leading backs into a hole up the middle straight on. Kendricks does a good job on those wham blocks while in motion. But, how often have we seen a lead blocker go into the hole hit his target and the defender actually go backwards.

Memphis Ram

Legend
and yet, true FBs are going the way of the non soccer style kicker.....they will be extinct before long

Because it's a passing league. However, unlike most teams in the NFL, word is, this is going to be a run first, play-action offense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't either.

But, I would like to see the Rams use a roster spot on a better lead blocker who ALSO has the ability to run the ball AND give defenses something to consider when a back splits out (instead of simply pinning their ears back going after Bradford). Someone capable of being a runner if injuries mount in a game, (perhaps lessening the need for an extra RB on the game day active roster).

FB = lead blocker, pass catcher, special teamer, runner
TE = lead blocker, pass catcher, special teamer, inline blocker

IMO, the team have plenty who fill the second category. But they would be better off if ONE of the four kept could fit the first category. And especially, if that player is a better lead blocker.

Harkey does a decent job leading backs into a hole up the middle straight on. Kendricks does a good job on those wham blocks while in motion. But, how often have we seen a lead blocker go into the hole hit his target and the defender actually go backwards.

While it doesn't satisfy your prerequisite of being a better led blocker, I think if they utilized more true 2-back sets, for example, Stacy and Pead/Cunningham, they could still accomplish the same thing. In some short yardage situations, having Stacy lined up in a FB position, and one of the other RBs in the tailback position, they can in theory force the defense to defend both the quick "FB" dive, or something to the RB off tackle or outside.

I do know that during the 2012 camp, they fooled around with Kendricks getting carries out of the FB position. He actually did ok with it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
While it doesn't satisfy your prerequisite of being a better led blocker, I think if they utilized more true 2-back sets, for example, Stacy and Pead/Cunningham, they could still accomplish the same thing. In some short yardage situations, having Stacy lined up in a FB position, and one of the other RBs in the tailback position, they can in theory force the defense to defend both the quick "FB" dive, or something to the RB off tackle or outside.

I do know that during the 2012 camp, they fooled around with Kendricks getting carries out of the FB position. He actually did ok with it.

Yeah, but minus the better lead blocker, teams that would more likely keep a slower MLB/ILB on the field may not which could lessen the overall impact, IMO. And I'm glad they haven't given Kendricks any carries in a real game as that's probably a fumble waiting to happen.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I suspect that Sneed and Fisher took the fullback off the roster because it was the only way to get Shotty to stop running the fullback dive on 3rd or 4th and short. We were pretty predictable with that one for a while there.

Having said that, while they probably don't end up carrying one on the 53 - I don't see the harm in bringing a FB to camp to compete - helps the defense prepare for the FB look and you never know - they may end up liking what they see enough to shuffle their roster plans.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
These "no true FB" offenses do play hell with Madden though. One roster I saw had Kendricks as an FB.

That said, whenever I start a franchise, the first thing I do is sign a true FB.

There are so few even in the land of Madden. The draft generator never creates a good one either so that is the one position where I end up inventing a player for the position. "Buster Layne" says hello. That, or using Bronko Nagurski.

I was disapointed the Rams didnt go after Jay Prosch in the draft. He looked good on the Auburn highlights we saw of Robinson and Tre, sealing off that last block for a big Mason run. He went to the Texans as the first FB off the board in the sixth at pick 211.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I don't want anyone off that list. Hell, I'm unhappy we have to cut some of the guys we'll have to cut. I hate that we'll have to leave either Reid, Roberson, Gaines or McGee off the team, so no CBs please. I hate that we might have to cut a guy like Travis Bond. I'm even sad we'll likely be ditching Brandon Washington; I miss him being this high-upside needs-motivation guy.

Even among WRs, I don't like that guys like TJ Moe and Austin Franklin are such longshots for the roster.

We have depth. Tons of depth. Really good depth, all over the field. And since there's no dominating WR (with more upside than Britt or Quick) or young Ed Reed on the FA market, I don't see any value in signing anyone currently available.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Top 10 available free agents
By David Steele

Free agency in the NFL began in March, and some players were on the market before that. Others landed there unexpectedly along the way (DeSean Jackson and Brandon Flowers, among others). Now, as training camps open, there are still a number of big names available ... probably at bargain-basement prices.

As it’s often been noted, late signings on the cheap have paid off as recently as last year — John Abraham, then 34 and a cap casualty in Atlanta, was picked up by the Arizona a year ago Friday and recorded 11.5 sacks for a 10-win team. A few players in that category are still out there, but the one who most bears watching is a young Pro Bowler waiting to be cleared after a major surgery.

1. TE Jermichael Finley

The entire league seems to be waiting for Finley and the Packers to make things official, but nothing is and it’s not clear if or when it will be. Last Wednesday he was scheduled to undergo another exam on his surgically-repaired neck, and the next day he sent the cryptic Tweet: “Let’s Try This Again. #GreenBay.” The team reports for camp Friday, so stay tuned.

2. LB Jonathan Vilma

Coming off of a season in which he played just one game, Vilma, 32, was getting interest during OTAs when linebackers seemed to be an endangered species. But as camps approach, the interest seems to have waned. That doesn’t mean another team in an emergency won’t bring him on, though.

3. WR Santonio Holmes

Holmes is also haunted by injuries — two years’ worth — to his foot and hamstring. He and his trainer insisted last month that he’s back to full health and expects to play this season. Holmes is only 30, and he caught 51 passes for eight touchdowns in 2011, the last season before his Lisfranc injury.

4. DE Jason Babin

The Jaguars’ release of him last month was a mild surprise since they had just re-signed him after he voided his contract. The team is clearly going young, and Babin is 34 — although he did have 7.5 sacks last year. Pass rushers generally are at a premium, so if he has anything left, he’ll likely land somewhere as a backup.

5. S Ed Reed

A future Hall of Famer who turns 36 in September, Reed is still waiting for the phone to ring. He made it clear earlier in the offseason that he wants to play again. But after a rough year coming off hip surgery, the interest has not yet surfaced — not even from his longtime coach, Rex Ryan, and the team with which he finished last season, the Jets.

6. LB James Harrison

Speculation that the Steelers, with whom he made his reputation (and won a Super Bowl and a defensive player of the year award) remains just that — speculation. The Steelers could use depth at outside linebacker, having re-stocked the inside and having lost LaMarr Woodley to free agency. But if it’s not the Steelers, Harrison might not get a job at all.

7. T Eric Winston

It simply is a bad look that a 30-year-old, well-respected veteran lineman is still out of work. He also happens to be the new president of the NFLPA. Winston’s reputation is pristine after his years in Houston, Kansas City and Arizona, so his continued unemployment remains a puzzle.

8. TE Dustin Keller

Ever since a tryout with the Patriots in May, there has been nothing but silence on the Keller front. Considering how the Patriots could use depth there (they also worked out Jermichael Finley), it’s not a stretch to believe there is still concern around the NFL about his progress from a grotesque knee injury last preseason.

9. G Travelle Wharton

The 33-year-old, who returned to the Panthers last season after missing all of 2012 in Cincinnati with a torn ACL, hinted at retirement back in April. Nothing has been made official, and the Panthers haven’t invited him back yet. Like many, Wharton is one training-camp injury away from becoming a prospect.

10. QB Josh Freeman

It’s hard to believe that Freeman was the incumbent starter for an NFL team at this time last year, and now he may be washed up. He lasted barely a month with the Giants as Eli Manning insurance this spring. He’s still only 26 and threw for 4,000 yards just two seasons ago, but has been cut three times since. The state of quarterbacking can’t be so strong that Freeman has no place in the league.

Ewwwww.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Pat Angerer signs with Falcons
Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptkxmdg2ogmxnti1zwi0nzuwzgi0mthhzde2mwi2zjg2-e1406060563431.jpeg
Getty Images

When the Falcons lost linebacker Sean Weatherspoon for the season, there were several veteran free agents mentioned as possible signings to shore up the team’s inside linebacker group.

Former Colt Pat Angerer was on that list and he worked out for the team on Tuesday. The workout apparently went well because Aaron Wilson of theBaltimore Sun reports that Angerer is the newest member of Atlanta’s roster.

Angerer ended the 2013 season on injured reserve after hurting his knee and required microfracture surgery to repair the injury. That kept him from shopping himself as a free agent this spring, but things have obviously progressed well enough to satisfy the Falcons.

Angerer, a second-round pick in 2010, played 54 games and made 39 starts during his time with the Colts. The Falcons have Paul Worrilow, Joplo Bartu and rookie Prince Shembo among the in-house options who will compete with Angerer to fill the starting linebacker jobs come the regular season.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Pat Angerer signs with Falcons
Posted by Josh Alper on July 22, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptkxmdg2ogmxnti1zwi0nzuwzgi0mthhzde2mwi2zjg2-e1406060563431.jpeg
Getty Images

When the Falcons lost linebacker Sean Weatherspoon for the season, there were several veteran free agents mentioned as possible signings to shore up the team’s inside linebacker group.

Former Colt Pat Angerer was on that list and he worked out for the team on Tuesday. The workout apparently went well because Aaron Wilson of theBaltimore Sun reports that Angerer is the newest member of Atlanta’s roster.

Angerer ended the 2013 season on injured reserve after hurting his knee and required microfracture surgery to repair the injury. That kept him from shopping himself as a free agent this spring, but things have obviously progressed well enough to satisfy the Falcons.

Angerer, a second-round pick in 2010, played 54 games and made 39 starts during his time with the Colts. The Falcons have Paul Worrilow, Joplo Bartu and rookie Prince Shembo among the in-house options who will compete with Angerer to fill the starting linebacker jobs come the regular season.

DAMN IT. I WANTED ANGERER.