Our young DB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You don't know Greg Reid.
After reading a lot of Rams message boards, I get it, y'all are partial to Mizzou, and I don't blame you. But, I have to disagree here. Unless G5 has totally changed his personality, he is not afraid to go after anyone, even when totally mismatched. Yes, he whiffed on a big play against Landry Jones when FSU played OU. He was not a match for Landry and jumped at the wrong time. The vast majority of the time, he will go after anyone, and he is a ball hawk.

Reid helped build the team that won the BCS championship game last year, even though he was not on the team.
Or maybe some of us have actually seen him NOW, and are basing our evaluations of what we have seen on the field, and not what you remember of him in 2011. He has not shown to be the same player at any point in THIS training camp. So instead of calling out the Mizzou followers here, maybe you should consider he is not the same player being 2 + years removed from any live action and TWO KNEE SURGERIES later.

He has shown to be willing to put a hit on guys, but his cover skills have NOT been good.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you and I have different definitions of "showing his willingness to tackle". Even on the kickoff return, all he did was slow the guy up long enough for the calvary to show up and get the guy down.
He was actually the one who saved the touchdown two different times don't care how the tackle looked at least he got it done. He obviously have to approve but he is willing to tackle that's the reason why he is on special teams, and he have to do that to make this team, you don't think he got noticed for making those tackles

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He was actually the one who saved the touchdown two different times don't care how the tackle looked at least he got it done. He obviously have to approve but he is willing to tackle that's the reason why he is on special teams, and he have to do that to make this team, you don't think he got noticed for making those tackles
Oh I noticed he made ONE TACKLE, and got in the way by grabbing the guy on the second. He is on Special Teams this week again, because McGee was out, which bumped up someone from the 2nd unit to be replaced by Roberson. The one thing I do agree with you on, is he HAS TO play them if he has any chance to make the 53 man roster. Which I still consider to be a long shot.

Also noticed him getting beat in coverage, which is supposed to be his strong suit, which lead to a PI in the EndZone. I guess I just am not as impressed with the like of Reid and Roberson that many are on here. They both has shown signs, but they still are NOT among the best 6 CBs on the roster at this point.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I noticed he made ONE TACKLE, and got in the way by grabbing the guy on the second. He is on Special Teams this week again, because McGee was out, which bumped up someone from the 2nd unit to be replaced by Roberson. The one thing I do agree with you on, is he HAS TO play them if he has any chance to make the 53 man roster. Which I still consider to be a long shot.

Also noticed him getting beat in coverage, which is supposed to be his strong suit, which lead to a PI in the EndZone. I guess I just am not as impressed with the like of Reid and Roberson that many are on here. They both has shown signs, but they still are NOT among the best 6 CBs on the roster at this point.

No they are not. But by skills they are. The fact that both are getting their football legs back some growing pains are to be expected. And that PI call was ticky tack. Even the announcers said that ball was uncatchable anyway. The point is that both have the skills to play the position and with the way our defense is setup their skills fit perfectly.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No they are not. But by skills they are. The fact that both are getting their football legs back some growing pains are to be expected. And that PI call was ticky tack. Even the announcers said that ball was uncatchable anyway. The point is that both have the skills to play the position and with the way our defense is setup their skills fit perfectly.
never said they don't. But until they pass up the other guys on the roster who have the same types of skills, (Woodard, McGee, Gaines) I just don't see them being anything more than PS guys. If one of them has a leg up, I would say its Reid, but I am still waiting to see this dynamic return guy I have heard so much about.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't include Gaines because to me I think he is the next man up. Reid and Roberson to me have more potential than McGee and Woodard. I think our young guys will be fine because mainly qbs won't have time to make long throws if they can be aggressive at the line they will have the opportunity to make plays which I think they can

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I know we were playing Cleveland but I thought they looked pretty good. Joyner is a player, love the hard hit behind the line. Who do you guys think gained ground in making the final cut assuming the news is the worst with Trumaine?

Aaaaaagggghhhhhjjh
We lost TRUMAINE 6 weeks

Putting my head down for extended nappy time

I'll see you Ram brothers tomorrow
Can't hang

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
CoachO. Now that Tru is likely on the IR designated to return, who likely makes it at corner in your mind? They likely keep a guy now that otherwise wouldn't have made it. Jj, Joyner, Gaines, then what? In your opinion.

Irish

Starter
Please, please, please let these guys play man. Since the first day you put on pads in pop warner, as a corner, you learn to cover a man, not a zone. Line up man to man, unleash the fury of hell that is our front 7, and take your chances on the back end. Yeah, Jenkins and Gaines and Joyner are going to get burned sometimes, but everyone gets burned sometimes. Man to man is the easiest thing to teach, and you let your athletes be athletic.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
CoachO. Now that Tru is likely on the IR designated to return, who likely makes it at corner in your mind? They likely keep a guy now that otherwise wouldn't have made it. Jj, Joyner, Gaines, then what? In your opinion.
I don't know if the Rams have actually used this designation yet, but they should be careful about using it as they can only use it once!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I doubt they use that designation on Johnson. With his projected time frame being 4-6 weeks, from August 23rd, that would put his return on or around Oct 1st. With the bye week in that time frame, not sure he misses more than 4 or 5 games. If they use the IR - return, he wouldn't be eligible to come off the list until week 6, and that's the soonest he can practice. Which puts him more in line with missing 8 games. Given his situation, I think they will keep him on the 53, let him come back when he is ready, and assuming he can start practicing around Oct, 1st, he misses 4 games.

That being said, depending on how they feel about Woodard after this weeks game, either he or Reid/Roberson get a reprieve.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was pleasantly surprised by the corners....Woodyard looked good late...Reid can still play to me...Nothing wrong with Roberson either....and I'm talking coverage here, I really don't like saying who can or can't tackle...corners miss tackles every game...I noticed some disguised coverages in a man/zone look from the starters....Tru should return pretty soon. The last area of concern should be this defense now....Cleveland wasn't much of a test, but Minnesota should have similar problems moving the ball through the air.

bcherod

UDFA
Name
bcherod
Or maybe some of us have actually seen him NOW, and are basing our evaluations of what we have seen on the field, and not what you remember of him in 2011. He has not shown to be the same player at any point in THIS training camp. So instead of calling out the Mizzou followers here, maybe you should consider he is not the same player being 2 + years removed from any live action and TWO KNEE SURGERIES later.

He has shown to be willing to put a hit on guys, but his cover skills have NOT been good.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. There is nothing wrong with liking your favorite college players.

I get it G5 is not up to speed. As to the two knee surgeries, the reason for there being two, is that the first one was not done properly and had to be redone. There was no play in between, but it showed up when he tried to do Pro Day in 2013.

G5's strengths are his speed and his hard nose hitting. He has been excellent as a cover 2 or nickel. He was a great punt returner, with over the top football instincts. Reid has better hands than Joyner, and was used in the wildcat a few times when he was at FSU.

I'm glad the Rams are giving him a look, but if he gets cut it is not the end of the world for me. But, if he makes the team, he will excite the fans as will Joyner. If Reid gets his form back, he can be electric. I am not foolish enough to hold my breath, though.

Both Joyner and Reid are said to be better in zone than in man, but that can come with a price.

TexasRam

Legend
I wouldn't mind seeing McGee as a surprise cut with Gaines and Reid making the team. Not sure about Roberson because I haven't seen the Cleveland game yet.

Reid Gaines and Joyner look promising.