Our Top 3 Draft Picks Looking Like Monster Hits

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Tavon and Alec are the headliners, but I think McDonald had the best opening game. Wow that kid can hit. When was the last time we had a safety that could hit like that. I feel like our top three picks can be big time players for us. Another draft like that and watch out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
FRO said:
Tavon and Alec are the headliners, but I think McDonald had the best opening game. Wow that kid can hit. When was the last time we had a safety that could hit like that. I feel like our top three picks can be big time players for us. Another draft like that and watch out.
He is going to knock some people out this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
And Matt Elam can't get on the field for Balt. and they need him desperately. They have scubs playing ahead of him.

Nice job by Fisher.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
And Matt Elam can't get on the field for Balt. and they need him desperately. They have scubs playing ahead of him.

Nice job by Fisher.
The McDonald pick was one the "experts" didn't like. Looks like a great third round pick to me.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
FRO said:
max said:

Nice job by Fisher.
The McDonald pick was one the "experts" didn't like. Looks like a great third round pick to me.

I will admit, i wanted other safeties over him and questioned the pick. Wanted to get two safeties in the first 5 rounds personally.

TJ looks like a freight train out there and i love it. I was wrong about him and thought he wasn't fluid and had was horribly stiff in the hips. He has looked really good thus far.

McCleod looks good but think he can do better, and hope he does.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
McDonald hits almost as hard as Toby Wright did. Let's just hope he doesn't wear his body out like Toby did.

I wanted Rambo. I felt free safety was a bigger need. I thought McD would be a SS.

jjab360

Legend
Elmgrovegnome said:
McDonald hits almost as hard as Toby Wright did. Let's just hope he doesn't wear his body out like Toby did.

I wanted Rambo. I felt free safety was a bigger need. I thought McD would be a SS.
Most plays we don't really have a FS and SS. Just left safety and right safety.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FRO said:
Tavon and Alec are the headliners, but I think McDonald had the best opening game. Wow that kid can hit. [hilite]When was the last time we had a safety that could hit like that[/hilite]. I feel like our top three picks can be big time players for us. Another draft like that and watch out.
Toby Wright.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:
FRO said:
Tavon and Alec are the headliners, but I think McDonald had the best opening game. Wow that kid can hit. [hilite]When was the last time we had a safety that could hit like that[/hilite]. I feel like our top three picks can be big time players for us. Another draft like that and watch out.
Toby Wright.
:nice:
Yep. 5'11" 212 lbs with speed and power. Drafted in the 2nd rd in '94

At 6'2" 217 lbs,TJ Mac has a chance to be that KO DB we've needed for so long.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
mojorizen7 said:
X said:
FRO said:
Toby Wright.
:nice:
Yep. 5'11" 212 lbs with speed and power. Drafted in the 2nd rd in '94

At 6'2" 217 lbs,TJ Mac has a chance to be that KO DB we've needed for so long.
And he'll probably put on about 10 lbs of muscle within a couple of years too.
If he takes the training programs seriously.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
FRO said:
max said:

Nice job by Fisher.

I like seeing draft picks from teams that underutilize players. USC during the Kiffen debacle has absolutely stunk at developing players. They do less with some of the best recruiting classes than almost all other DIV I teams not named Texas.

Oregon is another example for defensive players. Haloti Ngata has been a pro bowl level player almost his entire NFL career. Jairus Byrd tears it up as a DB. Kiko Alonso is putting up great stats as a LB. None of those guys had outrageous stats in college. What if they had played in a SEC defense......?

TexasRam

Legend
I will gladly eat some crow on my disapproval of the Mcdonald Pick. Don't get me wrong, one game is nothing but he looked dam good in game 1. I'll give it 4-6 games and hope I get my face stuffed with crow.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McD comes from an all pro father who was a monster hitter too. I had no idea until an article had mentioned his Dad.
He was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the second round (34th pick overall) of the 1987 NFL Draft.In his six seasons with the Cardinals Tim McDonald started 5 seasons.In those 5 seasons he accounted for 605 tackles,2.5 sacks,20 int,6 forced fumbles,7 fumble recoveries,and a defensive touchdown.His best statistical season,and perhaps his finest season ever as a Pro was in 1989 when he recorded a Team leading 155 tackles,7 interceptions for 170 INT return yards,1 fumble recovery and a INT returned for a TD.He was named to 3 Pro Bowls and named All-Pro twice while with the Cardinals. He signed as a free agent by the San Francisco 49ers on April 7, 1993.In 1993 McDonald would again perform at a high level being named to the NFC pro Bowl squad.During that season, he donated $2,000 for every 49ers victory to the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Bay Area, netting $22,000 for those organizations.In 1994 McDonald helped the 49ers win Super Bowl XXIX.That Season,McDonald recorded 76 tackles,2 Int,7 passes defensed,1 Forced Fumble,1 Fumble recovery,and 2 Defensive Touchdowns while being part of a San Francisco secondary that sent 3 players to the pro bowl,SS Tim Mcdonald,FS Merton Hanks,and NFL Defensive Player of the Year CB Deion Sanders.That season while teaming with Free safety Merton hanks, they would arguably as a tandem,become one of the best safety tandems in NFL history as they combined for 7 pro bowls and 5 All-Pro selections from 1994-1998 in 5 seasons respectively.McDonald continued his stellar play throughout his entire 49ers career until he retired after the 1999 season Being named to 3 pro bowls and named and 2nd team All-Pro twice.McDonald's Finest statistical season as a 49er was in 1998 as he tallied 133 total tackles,4 sacks,4 INT,15 Passes defensed,and 2 Fumble recoveries. McDonald was voted to the Pro Bowl six times in his career, three times with each team.Tim McDonald was known for being a great All-Around safety and one of the better tacklers and hitters at Strong safety during his playing career.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TexasRam said:
I will gladly eat some crow on my disapproval of the Mcdonald Pick. Don't get me wrong, one game is nothing but he looked dam good in game 1. I'll give it 4-6 games and hope I get my face stuffed with crow.
I agree after 1 game is way too early. When I went to camp he looked good, he looked good in preseason, looked good in the opening game. I wasn't super excited when he was picked, but I'm excited now. We needed a thumper.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think it's cool that he prefers 'TJ' to have his own identity but still wears 'McDonald Jr.' on his jersey to honor his heritage.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Tron seeing the same things in McD that I did:
I will admit, i wanted other safeties over him and questioned the pick. Wanted to get two safeties in the first 5 rounds personally.

TJ looks like a freight train out there and i love it. I was wrong about him and thought he wasn't fluid and had was horribly stiff in the hips. He has looked really good thus far.
I felt that way when we drafted him and I still do. I finally got to watch the game and while I liked the big hits, he still hasn't alleviated any of my concerns about his ability to play center field. Thank Bhudda we have McLeod handing that part of the D.

I was unimpressed with what he brought to the game in pass D. We'll see what the future holds in this regard.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
Tron seeing the same things in McD that I did:

I felt that way when we drafted him and I still do. I fianlly got to watch the game and while I liked the big hits, he still hasn't alleviated any of my concerns about his ability to play center field. Thank Bhudda we have McLeod handing that part of the D.

I was unimpressed with what he brought to the game in pass D. We'll see what the future holds in this regard.
Well, fortunately there's plenty of time for him to improve. He's done better than many expected, and brings an element to the defense that we've been lacking for some time. Relative to the FS/SS designation, I don't think it works like that with this defense. But if it did, then McLeod is more of the FS than McDonald is anyway. It was an auspicious start for both of them, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm at least encouraged now as opposed to how worried I was before the season started.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X looking at the bright side:
Well, fortunately there's plenty of time for him to improve. He's done better than many expected, and brings an element to the defense that we've been lacking for some time.

McLeod is more of the FS than McDonald is anyway.

It was an auspicious start for both of them, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm at least encouraged now as opposed to how worried I was before the season started.

I'm on board with all of that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
FRO said:
Toby Wright.

Lets not forget AWilliams. Even at the tail end when he was SS guys felt it when he was in on the play, he could hit.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Stewart has had some snot knockers too. Wiffed on a few too.

In the 3 games he was healthy.