Our running game is...well...we don't have one

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
What do u guys see in ganaway?? I haven't seen him run the ball once in 2 seasons....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Elmgrovegnome said:
You think Pead ran well tonight? I thought he missed the holes too often.

I didn't see much in the way of holes. There was one time where I got frustrated at him for bouncing it outside when he appeared to have room inside but for the most part, on the couple other players where I was initially mad, on replay, it showed that the hole didn't develop until the play was almost dead and there was nothing he could do.

The lanes just weren't really there.

It'll get ironed out imo. Richardson is the better runner right now but Pead is the better 3rd down HB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
fearsomefour said:
I could see the Rams keeping Richardson, Pead, Stacy, Ganaway and Cunningham and only keeping two QBs.

Given Pead's suspension, they probably will. For a week.

Richardson is the clear starter and a playmaker.

Pead is a 3rd down back who needsto do something on special teams as kick returning doesn't seem to be his thing in the NFL.

IMO, the Rams need a #2 RB. Maybe that's Stacy, Ganaway, or Cunningham. Or maybe a waiver wire pickup.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
fastcat said:
What do u guys see in ganaway?? I haven't seen him run the ball once in 2 seasons....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

He didn't get a shot to run the ball because we were behind and in the middle of what was essentially a two-minute drill. We didn't run the ball once on that drive. However he was fantastic in pass-protection, even more so than Pead, who was quite impressive in his own right. Ganaway deserves a shot with the number one O-line. I'm not saying he'll make the team, but there are some positives to take away from his game.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Haven't seen the whole ame yet, but the blocking looked piss poor last week, If there is one area on this team I am concerned about (every friggin year for that matter), its the OL. DR is our clear #1, and I thought he was our best option LAST year also. Would like to see more of Cunningham. That would be a nice 1-2 punch outta the backfield.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Rewatch the game, and you will see on MOST of Pead's carries someone coming UNBLOCKED either off the edge, of simply being "missed" to make the tackle.

Fisher made a comment regarding the FIRST play of the game, that if a certain WR makes his block, Pead (Fisher's words, not mine) "may have scored"! Go back and watch the play, and see Pettis looking for someone to block, and they guy he runs right past, makes the tackle.

On the SECOND play of the game, C. Matthews comes UNBLOCKED (as both Cook and Pettis run right past him to block the SAME GUY on the second level). He crashes down the LOS and makes the tackle for a 2 yard gain.

On the very next carry, Pead makes one move and the CB, crashes UNBLOCKED (by Givens) into the backfield and makes the tackle for a 2 yard gain.

On the Draw play, once again, UNBLOCKED from the edge, Cook and Pettis leave Hyde UNBLOCKED and he almost takes the handoff form Bradford.

Later, (11:57 left in the 2nd Qtr), Pead makes a nice jump cut, and Pettis (who had gone in motion), gives a TOKEN brush block to the OLB (Nick Perry) and then looks as if he is running a pass pattern, ON A RUNNING PLAY, only to have Perry crash down the LOS and tackle Pead after another minimal gain.

You can way what you want about Pead, but there aren't many RBs in football who are going to gain yards when guys come UNBLOCKED and get a clean shot IN THE BACKFIELD.

These are all things that will get addressed as they get closer to Sept 8th. But from what I can tell, they just haven't put in the time in the RUNNING GAME yet, given they just haven't been in FULL pads throughout the early weeks of camp. Expect this to change very soon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:
Sorry (not really) guys, there's not a chance in hell Pead doesn't make this roster.

His pass protection alone is enough to secure that spot. Two weeks in a row he's been great with the blitz pickups, and that was really the biggest concern with many with the departure of Jackson. They wouldn't be playing him often to get him going if his roster spot was up for grabs.

That being said, he didn't run poorly today, I thought he played with a purpose.

This is what I saw too. I finally got the chance to watch the game. I only saw Pead try to bounce a play out once. The rest was cut and go. He had some pretty decent runs when there was ANYTHING to run through. Our run blocking was not even decent. And there is not a RB on this squad that picks up the blitz better. Pead is not that big yet I saw him knock much bigger men of their line and was really the only thing preventing a sure sack.

Get over the hate for Pead. I have a feeling we are just going to see more of him.

A55VA6

Legend
RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
Sorry (not really) guys, there's not a chance in hell Pead doesn't make this roster.

His pass protection alone is enough to secure that spot. Two weeks in a row he's been great with the blitz pickups, and that was really the biggest concern with many with the departure of Jackson. They wouldn't be playing him often to get him going if his roster spot was up for grabs.

That being said, he didn't run poorly today, I thought he played with a purpose.

This is what I saw too. I finally got the chance to watch the game. I only saw Pead try to bounce a play out once. The rest was cut and go. He had some pretty decent runs when there was ANYTHING to run through. Our run blocking was not even decent. And there is not a RB on this squad that picks up the blitz better. Pead is not that big yet I saw him knock much bigger men of their line and was really the only thing preventing a sure sack.

Get over the hate for Pead. I have a feeling we are just going to see more of him.
I've been very hard on Pead, but I was impressed with him this week. The blocking was terrible, but I thought he did a good job and his pas protection was really good. Hope he can build from that performance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
kurtfaulk said:
jrry32 said:
I'm not overly concerned. Line looked only alright but you gotta consider that when it counts, we're going to be calling plays with more rhythm. They'll build off one another and we'll be game-planning more to attack the weak points of a defense.

Pead and Richardson both ran well today.

But we need to get Pead off Kickoff Returns, he sucks at it.

agree, pead is awful as a kick returner. not sure why they persist with him there.

he needs to concentrate on running the ball and finding the holes.

(think of your secretary).

:sly: @1:33

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbhbetwYFU[/youtube]

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last thing we need is defenses pinning back their ears and coming after Sam when they realize we don't have a real running threat. Richardson is the only one that I see who can keep linebacker honest, and he is marginal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram_of_Old said:
The last thing we need is defenses pinning back their ears and coming after Sam when they realize we don't have a real running threat. Richardson is the only one that I see who can keep linebacker honest, and he is marginal.

I don't think his (Richardson's) resume is marginal due to success in 2012 at this level. But I will agree we need a bruiser on this squad which is why I'm pumping Stacy as the #2.

While Stacy is not a typical bruiser, he is compared to Richardson... And more so than Pead. The only other back to put into this discussion is Ganaway and he's having a hard time seeing the field.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think or RB corps is better than just OK and we have no need for a "bruiser." I didn't see any plays that a bruiser would have helped us. We could easily have run it in from the two yard line but we just didn't want to do that. If we get good blocking from our O-line the running game will excel and if we don't it wouldn't even if we had SJ in the backfield.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
HitStick said:
Ahem....

TJ Yeldon - pick 1a in 2014

Yeldon's a true sophomore. Believe me, I'd love to have him (or Todd Gurley), but they're not coming out in 2014.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Memento said:
HitStick said:
Ahem....

TJ Yeldon - pick 1a in 2014

Yeldon's a true sophomore. Believe me, I'd love to have him (or Todd Gurley), but they're not coming out in 2014.

Are you sure he's was a true freshman last year?

I was not aware.

Bummer.