Our Run Defense Today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
It's honestly hard for me to make many conclusions about anything from that game....

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don’t think he’s mailing it in. The guy hasn’t participated in training camp or practiced in like 2 years. This guy is always spoken highly of within and outside the Ram’s organization. His body is obviously decimated by injuries but I guess the Rams still feel it’s worth it having him out there. I agree he looks terrible out there but I guess the coaching staff feels he’s still our best option. It is painful though watching guys run him over every week.
Not even running him over hes just plain missing tackles

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
That would sure make a ton of sense.

We KNOW Michael Brockers and he was a stud when we were losing and he's done whatever the coaches asked of him.

Him being dinged up makes 100% more sense than all of a sudden he can't play anymore or is mailing it in.

Agreed

I’m highly skeptical of “mailing it” theories on this team with this coaching staff.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If they bring him back in an effort to improve the run D, I'm going to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

OMG! Can’t believe I made that mistake.

But, it WAS posted before my nap. Lol.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Really glad they made the Fowler move, in the midst of a lot of things seemingly going down hill.

I concur I’d like to see Hager or Kiser play some downs to see if it helps.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I feel that Barron and Joyner along with Shu or Brockers will not be Rams next season. Look for the defense to have 3 or 4 new starters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barron has been a surprisingly bad tackler this year. He must be banged up.
Barron has been bang up for several seasons now.
...... we really need an ILB next to Littleton who can fill gaps. Barron used to be that guy, but he's just not playing like himself this year.
Honestly, I think I'd try Hager or Kiser next week. Ramik Wilson isn't the answer. Barron does not seem to be. Give somebody else a shot. I dunno. Wade sees these guys practice, so who am I to question him? I'm just frustrated with the lack of consistent play from the ILBs. And for fucks sake, Brockers, you need to wake up.
Wilson would do fine if we were seeing a dominate run offense like Seattle or the Cowboys in the playoffs ....but Ramik's coverge skills are bad & Barron is a step up still. Kiser would look like the ideal complete gap & hole filler inside but he is a pure Mike backer & Littleton is our star interior LB'er @ this time.

Bryce Hager would appear to be the better weak side ILB'er of the two. Hager's play has shown him to be a heady smart defensive player when called apon. Hager in well into his 4th season has 60 NFL games under his belt only 1 start but a half dozen finishes. Hager is tough & has never missed a game yet in the NFL. IMO its time to see what he can do now with four regular season games left. Not sure what Wade & Barry are waiting for here on Barron's poor performances.

Is the brain thrusts waiting to ensure the OLB/Edge set & fully functioning before making this major decision @ the Barron post? Might be but like you said Dante Fowler Jr.has given Wade/Barry the best performances yet @ that SS OLB/ER post. Looks set to me what you think?
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-the-juice-dante-fowler-brings-off-the-edge/
Great thread topic..Barron is the only player that exceeds Joyner on my disappointment meter. I think Barron’s body is failing him and he now is but a shadow of his former self. Sad, but thereit is.As others have suggested, I think inserting Kiser or Hager and moving LITTLETON over should be strongly considered down this 4 game final stretch. I mean, what would be the downside? Barron’s hurt feelings?

Now, this may be heresy to some, but I’m gonna put it out there, anyway. Sometimes it appears that AD, in his haste to get into that backfield, actually runs himself out of the play on run D. Not uncommon on pass rushers, I know, but his great speed can be used against him on some running plays. Just sayin’. How to improve run D from Brockers and Ebu? Man, I’m open to all suggestions.
Yes this should be our main topic at this time of the season now (y)

Wade has many options with fully healthy younger interior LB'ers under contract that can improve this defense in the interior middle of this weak run defense. However DC Wade does not have that @ the high safety position. So we are stuck with Joyner until this season is done.

Littleton started for Barron @ the WSILB post twice & finished several gms on the behalf of Barron in 2017. Littleton also has regular season playing time on the weakside during the 2016 season on a part time basis under Williams 43 D. It was Littleton's performances in the Barron position that caught Wade/Barry's attention last season to permit them to make the Ogletree trade. So there should be no concern about CL's abilities to play the playmaking post.

What would keep CL from calling the defense from the Barron post? They both flip flop from left to right & right to left each & every game anyway on the inside depending on the offensive lineup. Wade has four inside LB'ers under contract @ the moment. I just do not understand :confused:why Barron is getting so many snaps. Only giving way when strong safety Marqui Christian is inserted on highly probable passing downs.

What issues would there be if they tested the insertion of Rookie Micah Kiser or Bryce Hager on first down s with Littleton taking up the WSILB post?:bueller:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That would sure make a ton of sense.

We KNOW Michael Brockers and he was a stud when we were losing and he's done whatever the coaches asked of him.

Him being dinged up makes 100% more sense than all of a sudden he can't play anymore or is mailing it in.
Was the time that Brockers was a stud when we were losing playing NT in the 43 Defense next to Aaron Donald? I would think that if Brockers has a shoulder injury & is playing thru it until the season is over then lining him up @ the Nose close to AD would be an issue for him.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wilson would do fine if we were seeing a dominate run offense like Seattle or the Cowboys in the playoffs ....but Ramik's coverge skills are bad & Barron is a step up still. Kiser would look like the ideal complete gap & hole filler inside but he is a pure Mike backer & Littleton is our star interior LB'er @ this time.

Bryce Hager would appear to be the better weak side ILB'er of the two. Hager's play has shown him to be a heady smart defensive player when called apon. Hager in well into his 4th season has 60 NFL games under his belt only 1 start but a half dozen finishes. Hager is tough & has never missed a game yet in the NFL. IMO its time to see what he can do now with four regular season games left. Not sure what Wade & Barry are waiting for here on Barron's poor performances.

Is the brain thrusts waiting to ensure the OLB/Edge set & fully functioning before making this major decision @ the Barron post? Might be but like you said Dante Fowler Jr.has given Wade/Barry the best performances yet @ that SS OLB/ER post. Looks set to me what you think?
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-the-juice-dante-fowler-brings-off-the-edge/

Wade has many options with fully healthy younger interior LB'ers under contract that can improve this defense in the interior middle of this weak run defense. However DC Wade does not have that @ the high safety position. So we are stuck with Joyner until this season is done.

Littleton started for Barron @ the WSILB post twice & finished several gms on the behalf of Barron in 2017. Littleton also has regular season playing time on the weakside during the 2016 season on a part time basis under Williams 43 D. It was Littleton's performances in the Barron position that caught Wade/Barry's attention last season to permit them to make the Ogletree trade. So there should be no concern about CL's abilities to play the playmaking post.

What would keep CL from calling the defense from the Barron post? They both flip flop from left to right & right to left each & every game anyway on the inside depending on the offensive lineup. Wade has four inside LB'ers under contract @ the moment. I just do not understand :confused:why Barron is getting so many snaps. Only giving way when strong safety Marqui Christian is inserted on highly probable passing downs.

What issues would there be if they tested the insertion of Rookie Micah Kiser or Bryce Hager on first down s with Littleton taking up the WSILB post?:bueller:

If your going with Barron & Joyner ?? Marcus Peters has not looked all that well either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If your going with Barron & Joyner ?? Marcus Peters has not looked all that well either.
I would be in agreement with you that Peters has had an off season too.

I would add that 28 yr old FS Joyner was Francized @ $11.3 mil. which makes him the highest paid safety in the NFL for his services this season. Our 29 yr old ILB'er Barron is the 2nd highest paid 34 D inside LB'er will be paid 9.5 mil. for his services & has his on field performances have been trending downward & injured for the last 2 seasons. It's highly likely that both will not be wearing a Ram Uni in 2019. Replacements are either here now under contract to replace Barron or one will come by way of the draft. I would like to see what the Rams have now to help Littleton out instead of making his job harder.

The only 25 yr old Peters will be paid ultra low cost of $1.7 mil, plus he has 2 pro bowls 2015/2016 & Defensive Rookie of the year in his resume. There is a better chance he will trend to get better with veteran leader Talib back. There is a much better chance that Peters will be a Ram in 2019.

Last edited:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

Spot on Bonifay. I believe you and I discussed this very thing earlier this season. Would love to see Hager of Kiser get a run if even to prove they are no better at this stage. That is the only reason I can come up with as to why Wade has not made this move. What am I missing in Barron's performances that justify his continued inclusion? The guy balled out for us last year when not injured but this year, it seems the knocks have caught up with him. I wish him all the best but would prefer to see him in a backup role for the rest of the year if either Kiser or Hager can show something.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would be in agreement with you that Peters has had an off season too.

I would add that 28 yr old FS Joyner was Francized @ $11.3 mil. which makes him the highest paid safety in the NFL for his services this season. Our 29 yr old ILB'er Barron is the 2nd highest paid 34 D inside LB'er will be paid 9.5 mil. for his services & has his on field performances have been trending downward & injured for the last 2 seasons. It's highly likely that both will not be wearing a Ram Uni in 2019. Replacements are either here now under contract to replace Barron or one will come by way of the draft. I would like to see what the Rams have now to help Littleton out instead of making his job harder.

The only 25 yr old Peters will be paid ultra low cost of $1.7 mil, plus he has 2 pro bowls 2015/2016 & Defensive Rookie of the year in his resume. There is a better chance he will trend to get better with veteran leader Talib back. There is a much better chance that Peters will be a Ram in 2019.

Your spot on Bonified !!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
What do you think accounts for the improved run defense today? I’m sure there are many factors, but I will cite one aspect that I believe helped immensely...Fowler Jr. I thought he did a good job of setting the edge on his side. What say you?

A poor offensive opponent.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
As others have suggested, I think inserting Kiser or Hager and moving Ogletree over should be strongly considered down this 4 game final stretch. I mean, what would be the downside? Barron’s hurt feelings?

Ogletree isn’t even on the team anymore.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
IMO they made Brockers lose too much weight. He's not a finesse guy and still tries to bull rush.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fowler had 5 tackles & a sack last Sunday. Ebukam came back to his normal self after the KC game with two solo tackles. I can begin to feel & see the improvement from the LA Rams Edge Rushers (Ebukam/Fowler) going into week #14 can anyone else?

Now let see what we can do to get improvement from the weakside ILB post.
Rams like the “juice” Dante Fowler brings off the edge
Posted by Josh Alper

gettyimages-1061136618-e1543935736446.jpg

The Rams made a trade for Dante Fowler before the deadline in October with designs on giving defensive tackle Aaron Donald some help off the edge on the pass rushing front.

They gave up a pair of picks for the 2015 first-round pick and they’ve seen immediate returns on that investment. Fowler recorded his second sack in his four games with the Rams against the Lions last Sunday and he’s also forced and recovered a fumble since coming to Los Angeles.“You certainly feel him off the edge,” Rams coach Sean McVay said, via ESPN.com. “He’s got that juice that we talk about.”

Fowler had two sacks in seven games for the Jaguars and never played 50 percent of the defensive snaps in a game. He’s played at least 62 percent of the snaps in all four of his games with the Rams and that number won’t be dropping as long as he continues to provide a boost to their hopes of harassing quarterbacks.