Our OL looks good on paper but...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Before I go take my nap, and I'm already panicking about whether or not I turned on the electric blanket to heat it up, I'd like to bring up a point that no one seems to be talking about. Barksdale is a FA next year and will command big bucks. Those of you who don't want to draft a premier T this year and think we can do it next year should ask yourself an important question, are we going to suck so badly this year that we'll be in a position to draft one next year? Or will we have to spend shit loads of capital to trade up?

jjab360

Legend
Before I go take my nap, and I'm already panicking about whether or not I turned on the electric blanket to heat it up, I'd like to bring up a point that no one seems to be talking about. Barksdale is a FA next year and will command big bucks. Those of you who don't want to draft a premier T this year and think we can do it next year should ask yourself an important question, are we going to suck so badly this year that we'll be in a position to draft one next year? Or will we have to spend crap loads of capital to trade up?
Even though I like the two premier tackles in this draft, I'm not going to pretend like they're the only OTs in this draft, just like I wouldn't pretend Watkins is the only WR if I thought he was the better pick.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Two things Sum.

I didn't see that tweet and I question the validity of it. Not that he sent it but I think his info is wrong. maybe even a typo.

We had a thread here some time back where the experts (RODites of course) explained to us all that changing from one side to another wasn't a piece of cake and that some never could make the switch successfully. Until he plays at least one game at LOG I'm not buying it.

Why would we do that anyway? Both Guard positions are wide open. Keeping him at ROG means no adjustment for him and if you're thinking about Jones then why isn't your "He has played LT...and RG...he ought to be able to play LG just fine good for Jones too? Plus Jones has actually played LOG in college I believe. This just makes no sense to me.
Well, I wasn't making a case for Saffold against Jones. I was only speaking specifically of Saffold. I have no reason to believe Jones couldn't play LG or RG.

You asked why people are projecting Saffold to LG...I explained why. Don't assume what I haven't said.

1. Shane Gray STL Rams ‏@ShaneGmoSTLRams 13h
    #Rams went from very thin to a win-win in adding Saffold back, which opens up the draft. Insurance at tackle, locked in at right guar
  2. Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721 13h
    @ShaneGmoSTLRams Rams see him as a left guard.
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721 12h
Word is the Raiders plan was to play Rodger Saffold at left guard and have Menelik Watson at left tackle. Saffold will be LG for Rams

No typo.

I think you are worrying over something minor. Saffold has played on the left side of the line most of his career. I don't see a problem just because he will be playing guard.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Before I go take my nap, and I'm already panicking about whether or not I turned on the electric blanket to heat it up, I'd like to bring up a point that no one seems to be talking about. Barksdale is a FA next year and will command big bucks. Those of you who don't want to draft a premier T this year and think we can do it next year should ask yourself an important question, are we going to suck so badly this year that we'll be in a position to draft one next year? Or will we have to spend crap loads of capital to trade up?
One can obtain good or even great RTs without spending a lot of draft capital (man, we're all using that phrase a LOT lately, aren't we?) or free agency money. While some have drafted other positions earlier, LT is *the* premium OL position. And even there, we should know from personal experience that the first one drafted isn't always the best one.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
One can obtain good or even great RTs without spending a lot of draft capital
History has shown that great quarterbacks can be had for next to nothing (Montana, Warner, Brady, etc)

Will that change teams' drafting ethos? I doubt it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
History has shown that great quarterbacks can be had for next to nothing (Montana, Warner, Brady, etc)

Will that change teams' drafting ethos? I doubt it.
There's always going to be isolated examples at every position of those who showed they were WAY underdrafted (or like Warner, not drafted at all). But that doesn't change the reality that different positions in the NFL are on different tiers. If a high 1st round pick is playing for more than a year at RT, it's typically seen as a bad pick.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm good with Robinson or Matthews for that reason,and some.

However, now that we have Saffold,again, we can keep our options open to Watkins and Mack. Just having the choice is very exciting.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
But that doesn't change the reality that different positions in the NFL are on different tiers. If a high 1st round pick is playing for more than a year at RT, it's typically seen as a bad pick.
Now we're steering towards deeper philosophical waters, my friend.

Is perception the same as reality?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone else want to have insurance for Saffold and Long? IMO having Rodger be our swing OT doesn't make much sense due to his injury problems. My opinion may be unpopular, but I think a great scenario to filling out the line is adding Matthews/Robinson AND Yankey/Jackson.

Yankey/Jackson start at RG and Matthews/Robinson backup LT and LG. Barksdale becomes our swing tackle. So projected lineup goes (if healthy)

LT Long
LG Saffold
C Wells
RG Yankey/Jackson
RT Matthews/Robinson

As much as I like our three elder statesmen on the OL what are the odds that they all make it through 16 games?

Thoughts?

I think we'll definitely draft insurance. But I don't see us drafting Matthews/Robinson and then drafting insurance again in the 2nd round. If anything, I'd say if we draft Matthews/Robinson, they start at OG for us and then we draft an OT/OG type like Ja'Wuan James, Joel Bitonio, Billy Turner or Brandon Thomas in the 3rd/4th round.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think we'll definitely draft insurance. But I don't see us drafting Matthews/Robinson and then drafting insurance again in the 2nd round. If anything, I'd say if we draft Matthews/Robinson, they start at OG for us and then we draft an OT/OG type like Ja'Wuan James, Joel Bitonio, Billy Turner or Brandon Thomas in the 3rd/4th round.
Jrry, IMO you're as informed as anyone regarding the draft. Do you really think Bitonio makes it to the 3rd/4th round? I do not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry, IMO you're as informed as anyone regarding the draft. Do you really think Bitonio makes it to the 3rd/4th round? I do not.

I think it's a pretty deep class at the top so yea, I'd say it's possible. 4th round? Probably not to our pick. 3rd? Yea, I'd say so.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think it's a pretty deep class at the top so yea, I'd say it's possible. 4th round? Probably not to our pick. 3rd? Yea, I'd say so.
Great value there if that happens. I'll just have to see it to believe that one.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with this almost answer:
Even though I like the two premier tackles in this draft, I'm not going to pretend like they're the only OTs in this draft, just like I wouldn't pretend Watkins is the only WR if I thought he was the better pick.
Good to know that jjab but whose question is that answering? There will be OTs and WRS available as UDFAs soon too. So? I did say premier tackle right? I just woke up and my brain is still a little fuzzy but I don't get your point. Are you saying we can confidently wait until all the top Ts are gone a draft a franchise RT? That would be...an innovative approach that no other GM in the NFL is currently using. Take a look at the last 5 drafts. I looked at last years draft just a few days ago and no tackle was drafted after the #19 pick that didn't have a sucky year.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and that wasn't what you meant. Let me know if you would.

jjab360

Legend
Good to know that jjab but whose question is that answering? There will be OTs and WRS available as UDFAs soon too. So? I did say premier tackle right? I just woke up and my brain is still a little fuzzy but I don't get your point. Are you saying we can confidently wait until all the top Ts are gone a draft a franchise RT? That would be...an innovative approach that no other GM in the NFL is currently using. Take a look at the last 5 drafts. I looked at last years draft just a few days ago and no tackle was drafted after the #19 pick that didn't have a sucky year.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and that wasn't what you meant. Let me know if you would.
If you're implying that the only good offensive tackles in any draft are the ones at the top, you're wrong. Plain and simple. There are good offensive tackles that can be found later if you know what you're looking for, same as any other position. I could look up countless examples, but I wouldn't even think that necessary, and I'm still not sure if that's what you were trying to say.