Our Free Agents.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
Rodger Saffold RT, T UFA 25 $1,460,000
Chris Williams G UFA 28 $1,376,154
Darian Stewart S UFA 25 $1,000,000
JoLonn Dunbar OLB, LB UFA 28 $650,000
Kellen Clemens QB UFA 30 $585,000
Shelley Smith G RFA 26 $575,000
Matt Giordano S UFA 30 $555,000
Mike McNeill TE RFA 25 $555,000
Will Witherspoon OLB, LB UFA 33 $555,000
Tim Barnes C ERFA 25 $480,000
Austin Davis QB RFA 24 $282,352
Quinton Pointer S RFA 25 $169,411
Sammy Brown DE RFA 23 $28,235

Saffold and Dunbar are the 2 we need to get back for sure.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not so sure about veteran safety Darian Stewart here's how I see it. Currently Fisher has five on his master roster plus his favorite top reserve safety at the beginning of this season Matt Daniels that six. I just get a feeling that if given a chance Snead will target some of the more versatile prospects. Fisher like the versatile element more than most think. A added drafted rookie the return the promising 2nd season duo Davis & Daniels plus the two starting Mac duo.....leaves very little need to spend the valued cap $$ on aging non starting more costly Ram vets like Giordano & Stewart or like you said (fantasy) on a way over priced often injured UFA like Byrd.

While I dont disagree with this it seems Byrd is a favorite on the board in terms of FA to target, that is why I brought him up. Macdonald showed promise, Mcleod (to me) showed nothing and the other two young guys couldnt get on the field. Where is the projection in a very tough division? For me it was year three of the rebuild. The O line is in a state of sort of flux (whats new?), massive progress has been made in terms of the roster as a whole and D in terms of play makers. But, the NFC West is brually tough and does not stand to get easier. If the Rams run out a safety group with 2 second year players backed up by guys that are even greener, well, I hope we continue to be a run first (keep the D off the field) sort of team. It is a work in progress. I do agree with Fisher valueing versatility and how much they run the nickle speaks to this. It will be interesting to see how early and or often the Rams go DB in the draft. Retaining some vet experience is not a bad thing in my estimation. I dont want to overpay for Byrd or anyone else.

fearsomefour

Legend
Saffold and Dunbar are the 2 we need to get back for sure.

I dont disagree with this, but, retaining Smith and Barnes is nearly as important I think. Firstly, they will come cheaply enough, both have proven they can at least spot start in the NFL and particularly in the case of Barnes he provides depth at a spot where it is hard to find quality depth. If the Rams are able to retain Saffold then either Smith or Barnes is going to start the season playing (given Longs injury and Saffolds need to play LT). If Saffold goes the need to keep these guys is a must, without them the Rams are basically left with no depth inside behind two aging players (Wells and Dahl) and next to nothing for opening day at the T spot. If the Rams trade down from the two pick and end up with, say, 4 or 5 picks in the first two rounds I would probably invest 2 of picks in Oline starting with a T.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is my guess...

Chris Williams G UFA 28 $1,376,154 GONE
Darian Stewart S UFA 25 $1,000,000 BACK (AT LEAST FOR CAMP)
JoLonn Dunbar OLB, LB UFA 28 $650,000 GONE (EVERYTHING I'VE READ MAKES ME THINK RAY RAY GETS A SHOT)
Kellen Clemens QB UFA 30 $585,000 BACK
Shelley Smith G RFA 26 $575,000 BACK
Matt Giordano S UFA 30 $555,000 GONE
Mike McNeill TE RFA 25 $555,000 GONE (RAMS WILL LOOK FOR ANOTHER BLOCKER)
Will Witherspoon OLB, LB UFA 33 $555,000 GONE
Tim Barnes C ERFA 25 $480,000 BACK
Austin Davis QB RFA 24 $282,352 GONE
Quinton Pointer S RFA 25 $169,411 BACK (AT LEAST FOR CAMP)
Sammy Brown DE RFA 23 $28,235 BACK (AT LEAST FOR CAMP)

That's a pretty good list.

Me, two exceptions; I'd like Dunbar back...and I'd like to find someone to replace Shelly Smith.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
While I dont disagree with this it seems Byrd is a favorite on the board in terms of FA to target, that is why I brought him up. Macdonald showed promise, Mcleod (to me) showed nothing and the other two young guys couldnt get on the field. Where is the projection in a very tough division? For me it was year three of the rebuild. The O line is in a state of sort of flux (whats new?), massive progress has been made in terms of the roster as a whole and D in terms of play makers. But, the NFC West is brually tough and does not stand to get easier. If the Rams run out a safety group with 2 second year players backed up by guys that are even greener, well, I hope we continue to be a run first (keep the D off the field) sort of team. It is a work in progress. I do agree with Fisher valueing versatility and how much they run the nickle speaks to this. It will be interesting to see how early and or often the Rams go DB in the draft. Retaining some vet experience is not a bad thing in my estimation. I dont want to overpay for Byrd or anyone else.
This is exactly why I want to see them pick a FS and corner early as they need to start developing a long term solution now ... and I really do believe that even with youth at the position they'll be significantly improved from 2013 regardless of what they do with veteran depth.

Once that's done, the defensive core is in place and it's all upgrades, depth and minor adjustments here and there.

It will be interesting to see what they do with free agents and the draft, where the greatest concern to me is the perpetually changing offensive line. Hats off to Boudreau for keeping it together with all of the injuries and turnover, but that to me is what's been holding the offense back since forever.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pretty much agree with this. Rams wont have much ability to do anything with bringing in FAs this offseason. It is very important in my opinion that Smith, Barnes are brought back. The O line situation is very close to taking a major step backward. The Rams are going to have to clear about $7M to cover their rookie cap. With the cap going up a little bit, cutting Finnigan and Dahl and if Langfords deal can be redone the Rams would have to use most of that money to resign their own guys and set money aside for the rookies.

The Rookie cap is a non-factor. Demoff addressed this in the various season ticket luncheons LAST year, in that their approach is these $$$ are always found in the players that they replace on the 53 man roster. Given the way the cap is set up thru the off-season, he explained that the true cap is never really applied until they get down to that final week. And by then, when the rest of the cuts are made, there is no issue (now that the new CBA applies) with fitting in the rookie $$$.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I think you are underestimating the year of experience that "the other two young guys" got this year will be in FISHER'S mind. Cody Davis might be the most gifted of all the Safeties on the roster. But I think it became an issue, (especially once Finnegan went down), having that many inexperienced guys in the secondary.

When your starting safety (McLeod) is forced to slide into the Nickel CB spot, they were pretty much forced to insert a veteran (Giordano and then Stewart) in there as the extra DB.

While Stewart was the heir apparent to the starters job in training camp, once he struggled to stay on the field, they had very little reservation about turning the job over to McLeod. While being a 1st time starter, he has spent the previous year in the system, much the same as C. Davis will have when they get to camp NEXT year.

McLeod IMO, improved his tackling as the year went on, but he is much better as a depth guy, who can be a versatile and reliable replacement, and back to being a key ST contributor. For me, I think C. Davis has all the "measurables", size, speed, smarts and he might be the most consistent tackler of the current group.

It just becomes a question of how comfortable is he in the system, and can he be the guy paired with McDonald moving forward. The guy I don't see being brought back is Stewart. If, and I know its a BIG if, Daniels can ever make it thru a season healthy, he brings everything that Stewart brings, and more.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Jo Lonn Dunbar "gone"?I can't immage our defence without former Saint.Ray Ray is a "beast" but little bit out of controll.When there is
a penalty in ST his number is called.Is he ready?
Me too. I really would like him to come back. It's not hard to see how well our defense played with him vs. without him. I would also like to see Saffold come back, the rest meh

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That's a pretty good list.

Me, two exceptions; I'd like Dunbar back...and I'd like to find someone to replace Shelly Smith.
Keep in mind...that is how I think it will shake out...not my preference.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rookie cap is a non-factor. Demoff addressed this in the various season ticket luncheons LAST year, in that their approach is these $$$ are always found in the players that they replace on the 53 man roster. Given the way the cap is set up thru the off-season, he explained that the true cap is never really applied until they get down to that final week. And by then, when the rest of the cuts are made, there is no issue (now that the new CBA applies) with fitting in the rookie $$$.
yep i suppose so….have to be meeting the cap by certain dates. all of that said i dont see them jumping into fa much….both because of the economic approach and the development of young players.