Our defenses achilles heel, Philly's up tempo offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamSECUT

UDFA
So far, from watching all the training camps, they're saying that with one year in the system, that Philly's offense has an even faster tempo.
In my humble, unprofessional opinion, i'm thinking that would be the best way to combat our monster of a defensive line. Although, Oregon's biggest nemesis in college, was a physical Stanford front 7.
We have the depth to combat this problem, but, would we be able to substitute, or be stuck with base personnel?
Thoughts?

Debacled

Starter
Not worried about it, they can only run it so fast. These are all elite level athletes, its not like they are going to be playing marathon runners they will be getting gassed as well

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Im sure GW has some personell groupings in mind to combat Phillys fast tempo. But the best D against philly is a strong dominating run game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A good gage of how we may do against them, could be, last year the Cards lost to Philly 24-21 @ Philly. the Cards came to town on a 3 game Win streak, after beating Indy 40-11 @ Home. I think the Cards just suffered from a let-down! I believe when we meet up with them, after our Bye week, we'll kick butt!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
IMO, living and dieing by the blitz will be our Achilles heel. But hey, I think we'll be the best blitzing team in the league.

The fast pace offense is great as long as you're getting first downs. You're not burning much clock in that kind of offense. A sack and two incompletions after two fast first downs is almost a turnover in terms of clock management. Without much defense in Philly, good luck winning shoot outs every week.

Easily solved

2035220FYLRq4VE.gif

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Hard to run that up tempo offense when Nick Foles is going to get battered.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Up tempo only works if you are moving the chains. An up tempo 3 and out isn't all that scary. Plus, we match up very well against an Up Tempo offense because we have DL depth. Even if a team is able to get 75 offensive plays in against us - which they won't be able to - our starting front 4 would only see 45-50 of those at most - we are an effective 8 deep on the D Line.

Not only that - our offense is made to chew clock. When they take the field - they stay out there a while. Its the Eagles defense who will be gassed by the end of the game, not ours.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So far, from watching all the training camps, they're saying that with one year in the system, that Philly's offense has an even faster tempo.
In my humble, unprofessional opinion, i'm thinking that would be the best way to combat our monster of a defensive line. Although, Oregon's biggest nemesis in college, was a physical Stanford front 7.
We have the depth to combat this problem, but, would we be able to substitute, or be stuck with base personnel?
Thoughts?
If their base personnel has 2 TE's, then we'll probably be in a 4-3...and I'm cool with that. I doubt Chip's offense works as well without DeShawn Jackson. You can't lose players of that caliber and not expect a trickle down effect. From McCoy to the other receivers to the QB, it'll be a little different. Nothing is guaranteed in the big leagues. Film study will change a lot. Remember, Oregon never won a national championship.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The thing with that offense, is it's meant to wear out the defense. We have great depth on the line, so we can sub in guys whenever they do. They will be more tired than we will!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You never know what can happen. If Foles goes down, before our wk. 4, We may have to face that dreaded QB Mark Sanchez or their Feared new gunslinger Matt Barkley!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The thing with that offense, is it's meant to wear out the defense. We have great depth on the line, so we can sub in guys whenever they do. They will be more tired than we will!

This right here. Our D-line is so deep that we have Langford Carrington and Donald fighting for top of the depth chart next to Brockers.

Hayes and Simms for backup DE's, and the 4 DE package to really get after Foles.

I'm more worries about our secondary, but when the relentless pass rush never stops....well you get the idea.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Foles (obviously) does NOT like throwing INTs, and waits a bit too long too pull the trigger IMO.
Well, he's simply not going to have any time, so if we stop the run, I don't see them having a huge advantage.
They are a very good team however.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Philly is Week 5 after our bye week, and give Williams and Co. 2 weeks to prepare will be very big. However, Minnesota is Week 1 and at this point the focus... besides preseason. One game at a time.

Athos

Legend
It'll be speed vs. speed then.

But only D-line can sub in talent without missing a beat. Can their o-line? I bet not.

Can Foles release in under 4 seconds too? He holds the ball too long, he'll get brutalized.