Our Corners and the new rules

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
One of my concerns after two weeks is our lack or press coverage by our CBs. If you have looked across the league penalties are being called by the bushels. The emphases on illegal contact is going to change the way DB's can cover and what they can get away with. We have not played a lot of press coverage with our 1st teamers and my concern now is how are they going to know what is a penalty and what is not if we are playing off the ball to begin with. Unless the plan is to never play press coverage, I don't understand why we are not lined up that way more so they can learn in the preseason how the illegal contacts are going to be called.

Maybe you guys have heard things on the radio that I don't get to hear. I know they don't want to show too much but at the same time you have to use these games as teaching tools also.

Thoughts?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
One of my concerns after two weeks is our lack or press coverage by our CBs. If you have looked across the league penalties are being called by the bushels. The emphases on illegal contact is going to change the way DB's can cover and what they can get away with. We have not played a lot of press coverage with our 1st teamers and my concern now is how are they going to know what is a penalty and what is not if we are playing off the ball to begin with. Unless the plan is to never play press coverage, I don't understand why we are not lined up that way more so they can learn in the preseason how the illegal contacts are going to be called.

Maybe you guys have heard things on the radio that I don't get to hear. I know they don't want to show too much but at the same time you have to use these games as teaching tools also.

Thoughts?
I saw our outside corners play some press, but the TV angles aren't good to show that. In nickel, you don't really want to play tight press that often, because your coverage/responsibilities may change with motion, which you have to be able to see. It appears to me that we are working on responsibilities, trying to diagnose plays, and then break to meet the play.

You are right on the emphasis, and if we play 5 yds off, instead of 10, we can still make the bump, and read the quick one's in front of us. We don't want to give up home runs, but don't mind if they nickel and dime us in the time being. I expect to see more press in situations where we will actually use it, like when we blitz.

On my last thought, we have a lot of small corners, who are quick, and can run, but won't be able to win a long distance race without holding on long legged striders, who have a faster top end. Without pressure on the QB, we'd be giving up huge chunks...still gave some up, but it was because of missed responsibilities in some basic (easy to read) coverage for a top 5 QB who can see the whole field, and throw the entire field. I'll chalk those up to inexperience.

It will be interesting to see how the rules play out, and whether they are enforced against heavy handed teams like the Pats, and the Seahawks.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
New rules?

I thought it was just a case were the NFL is claiming that they are now actually going to enforce the rules that have always be in place. Ha.... I'll believe that when I see it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Thoughts?

Interesting topic, Boston.

I think your point is valid and echoed by others with all this vanilla talk.

Experienced teams can flip a switch come regular season. The Rams are not an experienced team.

Let's hope these coaches know what they are doing.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Wait and see how the D looks this week against the Browns. Vanilla or not, these guys should have a better showing than vs GB.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
not sure if you saw this earlier, but one of the things they have done in training camp, was to have the DBs, use tennis balls, holding them while in the 1 on 1 or 7 on 7 drills while in coverage, and then throwing them down when making a play on the ball. This was to keep them from grabbing guys off the LOS.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
not sure if you saw this earlier, but one of the things they have done in training camp, was to have the DBs, use tennis balls, holding them while in the 1 on 1 or 7 on 7 drills while in coverage, and then throwing them down when making a play on the ball. This was to keep them from grabbing guys off the LOS.

I hadn't seen this. That is good stuff, thanks for the heads up on that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I saw that...cool drill.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
New rules?

I thought it was just a case were the NFL is claiming that they are now actually going to enforce the rules that have always be in place. Ha.... I'll believe that when I see it.
Me too, brother. We heard the same shit after our Superbowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw that...cool drill.
Fisher got pissed at a reporter for asking the question about the balls.He was we do drills other teams don't know about.We would like to keep some things in house.