OT's still available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure we've lost Long. This could all be negotiating fodder. But if so, there are plenty of tackles out there to bolster our line;

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/?year=2013&position=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagen ... osition=46</a>

ScreenShot2013-03-15at52836PM_zpsb42f2a6c.png

ScreenShot2013-03-15at52855PM_zps9bb5f34b.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Name to watch; Bryant McKinnie.

Experienced.

Stop gap.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[tweet]312658573828190209[/tweet]

We are going after the best available.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think they shift to the draft. I still think the first 3 picks in some order will be OL, WR, S.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What about that Jason Smith guy. Was a 2nd overall pick, has to have some talent.

Wait...............Nevermind. :sick: :sick: :sick:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yamahopper said:
What about that Jason Smith guy. Was a 2nd overall pick, has to have some talent.

Wait...............Nevermind. :sick: :sick: :sick:
Yeah I am shocked that they had Jason Smith ranked that high.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
I think they shift to the draft. I still think the first 3 picks in some order will be OL, WR, S.

We can't shift entirely to the draft; outside of Saffold we only have two OT's on the roster... Barksdale and Nsekhe.

It would be insane to take that into draft day, IMO.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:

We can't shift entirely to the draft; outside of Saffold we only have two OT's on the roster... Barksdale and Nsekhe.

You're 100% correct.
Even with 2 picks in the 1st it's feasible that a RT capable of starting game 1 might not be on the board. Or worse a huge reach would have to be made in hopes of getting a player because they feel he might not be available in the 2nd rd.

Rams haven't missed out on much in pursuit of Long. Loadholt was staying in Minn. Would have had to way overpay to get him. Volmers back issues scare teams off. But he could play LT if he had too. Bushrod wants LT only. Not a upgrade on Saffold so why bother.
Winston is not a fit .
So eliminate Smith and go after anyone above Richardson on the list other than Brown.

They are cheap. Very little guaranteed cash so if a good T is available in the draft it's no big loss.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yamahopper said:
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:

You're 100% correct.
Even with 2 picks in the 1st it's feasible that a RT capable of starting game 1 might not be on the board. Or worse a huge reach would have to be made in hopes of getting a player because they feel he might not be available in the 2nd rd.

Rams haven't missed out on much in pursuit of Long. Loadholt was staying in Minn. Would have had to way overpay to get him. Volmers back issues scare teams off. But he could play LT if he had too. Bushrod wants LT only. Not a upgrade on Saffold so why bother.
Winston is not a fit .
So eliminate Smith and go after anyone above Richardson on the list other than Brown.

They are cheap. Very little guaranteed cash so if a good T is available in the draft it's no big loss.

And... What if Saffold gets hurt in camp? I realize you can go batty running scenarios, but we are paper thin. Someone(s) will be added.

Put me in the camp okay with bringing back Richardson and hope a rookie beats him out. If nothing else; he's solid depth with experience.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

F. Mulder

Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Yamahopper said:
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:

You're 100% correct.

Winston is not a fit .

And... What if Saffold gets hurt in camp? I realize you can go batty running scenarios, but we are paper thin. Someone(s) will be added.

Put me in the camp okay with bringing back Richardson and hope a rookie beats him out. If nothing else; he's solid depth with experience.

I will put you in that camp and duly note it! :p

Seriously, I get what you are saying and can see them doing Richardson or someone on the cheap as backup. I don't devalue the RT position at all but do think (and have seen a barrage of FAs, Mid-drafts, cast-offs) that a solid RT can be found and think the draft may be the way to go.

FWIW, I don't think the Long thing is dead. It is weird and unlikely to have a FA visit, leave, and then sign, but I get/got the vibe Miami wasn't over the moon for him to even let him leave. Now they are looking at a hometown discount and it may not add up to what the Rams offered. I don't see any other teams as serious contenders.

Like I said, unlikely but who knows?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Yamahopper said:
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:

You're 100% correct.

Winston is not a fit .

What you said is why Long was getting all the Rams love. He's a LT. Saffold was going to RT but would still be the backup LT.
There's guys on that list that can play a good RT and a passable LT for a short time. But long term have to change offense to protect them/

All 3 of the top LT guys will be long gone by 16 so you got Fluker maybe, but he's only a RT. Then have to pay $$$$$ next year to Saffold.

This isn't a big deal really. Sign and draft 1 each. Barksdale might surprise us.
This is where the Jason Smith pick starts to kill us.