OTAs in Oxnard helped Rams evaluate progress since move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
OTAs in Oxnard helped Rams evaluate progress since move

By Joe Curley of the Ventura County Star

[www.vcstar.com]

Veterans have scattered around the country, the rookies are completing their professional orientation and the Los Angeles Rams are once again packing up.

The team's three-month pit stop at Oxnard's River Ridge fields was declared a success Thursday, when the NFL team completed its unique organized training activities.

"For me, most importantly from an organizational perspective, this was a normal offseason," Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said. "Everybody can evaluate where the team is now versus where it was when we started the offseason program."

So where are the Rams today, as compared to when the team left St. Louis for Southern California in March?

"Considering everything that we've gone through," head coach Jeff Fisher said, "I feel like we accomplished a great deal through OTAs."

If the Rams are going to finally end their 12-year playoff drought, they are going to have to improve the worst passing offense in the NFL.

That's why general manager Les Snead packaged so many assets to move up to the first pick in April's draft to add quarterback Jared Goff.

The former Cal star made his first steps as a professional during the team's time in Oxnard.

"He's done a nice job here over the last week or so," Fisher said. "We've moved him up. He's gotten some reps with the first team. ... I think he's flourished in that environment."

Part of that process is being able to compete against the first-team defense and be able to bounce back from a misread or an interception.

"It's definitely different for us and me as a rookie, seeing so many looks right now," Goff said. "But I think, in the long run, it's going to be very beneficial and something I'll look back on and be thankful I saw all of that early on."

Asked Thursday if Goff was on track to start the regular-season opener in San Francisco, Fisher turned away the question.

"We're going to coach him to be successful," Fisher said. "We're not going to put him in with a chance to fail, that's the most important thing in developing a young quarterback."

Hammering the point home, Fisher then named veteran Case Keenum the starting quarterback entering training camp, which starts July 30 in Irvine.

"Case is our starter right now," Fisher said. "Case needs first-team reps."

But quarterback isn't the only position the team needs to improve if it's going to perform better than last in the league in passing rating (74.1), completions (273), touchdown passes (11), first downs (241) and total offense (297.6 yards per game).

The Rams have taken steps to improve the receiving corps, using four of their six draft picks on potential targets. Although rookie tight ends Tyler Higbee and Temarrick Hemingham spent much of the OTAs open to the media rehabbing injuries, rookie receivers like Pharoh Cooper, Michael Thomas and Westlake High product Nelson Spruce had their moments in camp.

"I expect that he'll be a household name at some point because he's a good player," Fisher said of Cooper.

Receiver Tavon Austin and tight end Lance Kendricks figure to be focal points of the passing attack. Austin was called a "special playmaker" by offensive coordinator Rob Boras. Kendricks, who started 12 games last year, is poised for an even bigger role with the team moving on from Jared Cook.

The offensive line is young and has the opportunity to grow together, although its growth was slowed during OTAs since starters like Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown and Rodger Staffold were in various stages of injury rehabilitation.

"We kind of learn from each other and we know what to expect from each other," Brown said. "Moving forward, we'll know how to handle those situations when we face (them) again."

The defense, especially the defensive front, remains the strength of the team.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is optimistic of the unit being even better in his third season with the team.

"It's been a very good camp," Williams said. "You can see how much farther ahead we are then possibly on the other side of the ball because we're not inventing new things.

"We're getting faster and faster in what we're doing. We're getting a few guys moved around in some spots. I'm really pleased at this point in time."

Adding defensive end Quinton Coples and defensive tackle Dominique Easley to a strong front that already included Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn added strength to strength.

"This team could be really special," defensive end William Hayes said. "We just have to continue to keep pushing forward and trying not to have any down days."

Williams said he was especially pleased with Alec Ogeltree's transition to middle linebacker and he praised defensive backs Lamarcus Joyner, Coty Sensabaugh, EJ Gaines and Marcus Alexander, who will be important to plugging the holes left by the free-agency departures of safety Rodney McLeod and cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

"We're going to be fast, I will tell you this," Williams said. "We're going to be one of the fastest teams in the league."