OTA's day 6!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These are just flying through and I'm loving that the team shares all of this with us. Myles does a good job on the recaps and the interviews Sarina does are entertaining as well.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Inside-OTAs-Day-6/017ab6a0-2d35-4224-a04b-89bed143d581

1) The offense began practice with more quick passes on Thursday. Quarterbacks and receivers were working on rhythm and timing routes off of play action in the backfield. That continues through individual drills, where wideouts received more quick passes.

2) Later in individual drills, quarterbacks and wideouts worked on deep corner routes. The ball shouldn’t hit the ground in situations like this where the offense is going against air. And for the vast majority of throws, it didn’t. A few times, Head Coach Sean McVay mocked rushing the passer as the QB made his drop back.

3) In group offensive drills, the offense worked on red zone passes. One of the interesting aspects of these drills is that everyone in the play ends up catching a ball — even if the QB doesn’t look his way. Coaches and other quarterbacks behind the line of scrimmage help fill the gaps once the play’s signal-caller has let his pass fly.

4) Outside linebacker Justin Lawler seems to always be around the ball with a chance to get his hands on it. That was the case early in 11-on-11 drills when he got to a swing pass at the same time as a receiver. Lawler didn’t make the interception, but assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Barry praised Lawler’s timing on the sideline.

5) During the first 11-on-11 period, quarterback Jared Goff made a pair of nice downfield passes. The first went down the seam to wideout Cooper Kupp for what would’ve been a big gain. The next was deep down the middle for wide receiver Robert Woods, and it would have gone for a touchdown off play action.

6) The club finished the 11-on-11 period with red zone work. On one play, Goff didn’t initially have a receiver open, scrambled to his right, and hit Woods in the front corner of the end zone for a touchdown.

7) Los Angeles had two fields going for 7-on-7 work. The first and second units were on one field, with the rest of the club on the other. That’s one of the luxuries of having 90 players. Plus, McVay emphasizes being able to get the most out of every minute during the offseason program. That’s one way to do it.

8) During that 7-on-7 period, Goff fired a nice red-zone pass up the right sideline to tight end Gerald Everett. The offense was able to take advantage of a size mismatch on the Everett, who reached up and snatched the ball down on the run in the end zone for a touchdown.

9) The Rams used their next 11-on-11 period for the young players on the roster — those that might not usually receive regular reps. Rookie running back John Kelly took the first handoff of the period over to the right side for a nice run outside the tackles. Quarterback Luis Perez also made a nice pass to wide receiver LaQuivionte Gonzalez on the right side for what would have been first-down yardage.

10) The Rams finished practice with a jog through on both fields. The offense went against a scout defense and the defense a scout offense to close the second week of OTAs.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Jared's down field throws are really impressive, I know there isn't a rush in his face but he is throwing dimes.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Three things are coming through when reading the beat writers reports.

1) Play action is gonna be emphasized this season and it’s gonna be deadly.

2) Looks like McVay is polishing his quick passing game. Gonna be a mutha to defend, too.

3) The passing O is miles ahead of where it was last year. It sounds as if it’s miles ahead of the D, too. Yeah, it’s sometimes against air, but sometimes it’s not.

And I don’t mean to imply that I’m the least bit worried about our D. I’m definitely not. I’m just thinking that this O is loaded for Bear this year. Last year was just a prelude to what McVay/Goff are about to unleash.

TexasRam

Legend
The offense is going nowhere unless that Oline stays healthy. Especially at tackle.

But if we somehow manage another healthy season up front then I expect Goff’s second full year to be awesome.

Psycho_X

Legend
Keep seeing Lawler's name mentioned as making crazy good plays in OTAs and always being around the ball. Seems primed to be this years diamond in the rough.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Two-Weeks-Into-OTAs-Lawler-Taking-Reps-with-First-Team-Defense/2c9aac86-f610-4b64-86f3-7e7baabe57bb

Two Weeks Into OTAs, Lawler Taking Reps with First-Team Defense

It’s not often that a seventh-round draft pick is thrust into the first-team lineup just one month into the offseason program. But such is the case for the Rams’ final draft pick, Justin Lawler, who is up for a tough challenge during the team’s OTAs.

“It’s been going good. I’m picking up the defense slowly,” he said this week. “As you can see we’ve had some injuries, so I’m going and kinda thrown in with the ones.”

The injuries Lawler referred to include Morgan Fox and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, who suffered a season-ending knee injury and a foot injury that required surgery, respectively. Both injuries occurred in the offseason program.

With both out for the remainder of the offseason, Lawler has been asked to step up in their place — something that may have surprised the rookie at first, but was not entirely unexpected.

“I knew they were thin [and] that’s why they drafted three of us,” Lawler said. “You never wish that upon anybody, but that’s football. It’s next man up. I get hurt, hopefully not, but the next man’s gotta play. That’s football and that’s the business we’re in.”

Through six OTAs, Lawler has been taking reps with the ones as the club’s strongside linebacker. While at SMU, he played the majority of his time on the weak side, representing yet another transition for the young player.

But with the help of linebacker’s coach Joe Barry, Lawler is hopeful that he will be able to not only learn the terminology and scheme, but also to improve his technique at a new position.

“I have to drop a lot more. So, the route combos, the motions, just the communication overall, that’s been the toughest to pick up,” he said. “I’ve got to get better as a pass rusher. Joe B always says that we’re paid to rush their quarterback and that’s something that I’ve gotta refine.”

Fortunately, Lawler says he has found a mentor in second-year outside linebacker Samson Ebukam — who has experience on the strong side from his first season with the franchise in 2017.

“He’s helped me out a lot — just in the huddle. Since I’m going and I’m already in the huddle with him, he kinda just says ‘hey, remember this’ or gives me little tips,” Lawler said. “So, he’s been a huge help, just kinda having someone in my pocket to go to on the field.”

And while it may seem daunting to be competing with and against some of the club’s top players, Lawler believes he is up for the challenge. The outside linebacker said he is happy to be “thrown into the fire” early on, recognizing that it will only help him down the line.

“That’s the good thing is I’m seeing it now. I’m making mistakes, but I’m trying not to make the same one twice and so it’s good to see it,” Lawler said. “I’m asking them to be patient with me as I pick up the defense, but it’s going well. I’m just getting better everyday, that’s my goal.”

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Nice to see Hemingway out there. I look forward to him getting some key catches and RZ TD's this year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Well, Fox was running with the one's before he was hurt and I'm sure not everyone is there. Taking nothing away from Jerry's grandson as he played a similar defense at SMU, which gives him an edge and I do believe he has some upside so we shall keep an eye on him during training camp and preseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's a big deal for Lawler to sieze an early lead like that on the depth chart. He must have the right combo of things they want, i.e. some rush ability while being stout on the strong side. Undoubtedly he'll have to work that contain, but from where he was taken to slide into that role already means something.

Can't wait to attend camp this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Who the heck is Lawler.....
kaufman2.jpg

Ram65

Legend
8) During that 7-on-7 period, Goff fired a nice red-zone pass up the right sideline to tight end Gerald Everett. The offense was able to take advantage of a size mismatch on the Everett, who reached up and snatched the ball down on the run in the end zone for a touchdown.

Good stuff. I was wondering if Everett will be an End Zone target this year. With no Watkins the TEs are the height/size mismatch receivers. Everett should step up and hope McVay gets creative with the red zone play calling. Rams need TDs over FGs.

Last edited: