OTA Day Six Recap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
OTA Day Six Recap
Posted Jun 13, 2014

Webb_60_60_091813.jpg
Jonathan WebbWebsite Intern

tempAP34485397289--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Don’t tell Alec Ogletree about the notion of a sophomore slump. The second-year linebacker won’t have any of it, and the very mention of backing off his rookie season pace is simply dismissed out of hand.

“I really don’t think about it that much,” Ogletree said. “(Linebackers) Coach (Frank) Bush already said, ‘We don’t need you having any sophomore slump.’ I’m not even thinking of it that way, but I definitely want to have a better year than I had last year.”

Ogletree has certainly set the bar high for himself. Following a rookie season that saw him break teammateJames Laurinaitis’ team rookie record by piling up 155 tackles, Ogletree sees no reason why he won’t be able to keep the momentum going.

“I definitely raised the expectations for myself, just as far as trying to be better than I was last year,” Ogletree said. “Going into this year, I feel a lot more comfortable with the scheme that we’re using, and just going out there and flying around and making plays. I’m looking forward to playing fast and making plays.”

Ogletree has reaped the benefits of an offseason for the first time since his second year of college, as last year’s pre-draft preparations tended to wear on the then-21-year-old linebacker. His production saw a spike in the season’s second half, tallying at least 10 tackles per game over the final six weeks, likely a direct indicator of his improved familiarity with the Rams’ defensive personnel and system.

In light of last year’s adjustment from the college game to the NFL, this year’s set of adjustments appear comparatively simple, and largely beneficial. Working in Ogletree’s favor has been the adjustment to a more aggressive defensive scheme, led by coordinator Gregg Williams. The change in scheme better place Ogletree in position to harness the pass-rushing nature that saw him accumulate six sacks over his final two college seasons, as well as creating additional mismatches for DE Robert Quinn, who lined up on the same side as Ogletree for much of last season. Ogletree looks forward to the change in philosophy.

“I think he’ll bring a more aggressive style, and that will not only benefit me, but the whole team,” Ogletree said. “When we can put pressure on the quarterback from all different angles, that’s where we want to be.”

temp201400610_RamsOTA_085--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have really high hopes for Alec, I think he is going to be a star on this defense sooner rather than later

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
That Jonathan Webb has been a website intern for ages now. I thought you guys had abolished slavery?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That Jonathan Webb has been a website intern for ages now. I thought you guys had abolished slavery?

We follow a simple rule where I work: hire slow, fire fast.

The Rams apparently hire slow!