OT Terron Armstead?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
One of the fastest risers in the 2013 Draft thanks to his incredible combine is OT Terron Armstead. At 6'5" and 306 lbs he ran 4.65 & 4.71 forties (pretty good for a TE or OLB but almost unbelievable for an OT). He also had 31 reps in the bench and supposedly did very well in the skill drills as well. After watching a little of his video highlights he looked very good on the field as well. Although, he didn't play at a major college (Arkansas-Pine Bluff) he looked like he stayed with his blocks, he seemed to move very well and he showed a lot of aggressiveness. From what I have read many think he will now jump up to the 2nd round. If you were the Rams would you consider drafting him and if so how high?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can anyone explain to me why an O-lineman's 40 time matters?
I can see it for maybe a pulling guard or something, but they don't typically run more than 10 yards.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
I can see it for maybe a pulling guard or something, but they don't typically run more than 10 yards.

He had an incredibly fast ten-yard split as well; 1.68. For a comparison, that's as fast as Nick Perry's (the defensive end with one of the quickest ten-yard splits last year).

Armstead's going to be a very high riser because of that athleticism, but he needs a ton of work on his technique, leverage, and all of the little intricate parts of being an O-lineman before he'll ever amount to anything more than a Combine freak. I personally don't want him; he reminds me way too much of Jason Smith for my liking. Similar height, weight, strengths, and flaws, although Armstead's issues might actually be worse than Smith's when he was coming out of college.

iced

X said:

I remember Matt Khalil running down field this season (atleast 20 or 30 yards), all the way to the goal line or within 10 yards of it trying to block for someone

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
X said:

I remember Matt Khalil running down field this season (atleast 20 or 30 yards), all the way to the goal line or within 10 yards of it trying to block for someone

Yeah, but that's not why you look at an OL's 40 time... Eh?

I suspect it's got more to do with athletic values and quickness.

Then again, I'm guessing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
X said:

Yeah, but that's not why you look at an OL's 40 time... Eh?

I suspect it's got more to do with athletic values and quickness.

Then again, I'm guessing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
I'm wondering why there was a RB (or worse a WR) who was trailing Kalil for 30 yards. :shifty:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
It just attests to his athleticism, and backs up what you see on tape. I don't see Warmack(5.5 40 yd) much on the third level, in fact, he just stops, and the only time I see him on the second level, it's because that was his assignment. I like my guards more athletic, and I would pick Cooper over him now. Scouts watch that 10 yard split, which attests to quickness off the line, which is very important as you know. Just the 40 time, scouts and coaches don't really care if it's in a nutshell.

Armstead, I said in another thread, has some serious technique issues. He doesn't even know how to release off the line--which foot goes first, etc. It looks like he wasn't coached at all. Now, if he was, and it didn't take, that is a serious issue. His time, and his movement in the drills made me look at his tape, but I was disappointed. Jason Smith progressed very slowly, and was still having major technique issues after being with us a couple of years.... that is when I stopped backing him. Why couldn't he learn, why couldn't he improve his kick slide in the offseason? Oh well.