OT: Can the Eagles Dump Foles Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The problem with Foles is the stint he had with the Rams seriously damaged his credibility. Remove his time as a Ram and the subsequent KC back up he's been a decent QB thats just walked into someone else's shoes and gone on to win Super Bowl MVP. If he was as bad as what some people say the Eagles wouldn't have progressed in the Post Season.

I'm sure the Eagles are now doing some serious investigation into Wentz and his injury / rehab. Do you go into next season without your SBMVP and hope that Wentz comes back 100% and doesn't get injured again??

I'd keep him around even if for just the 1 year.

This was n the press a few days ago too:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...als-acl-injury-worse-than-originally-thought/

Super Bowl 2018: Carson Wentz reveals ACL injury worse than originally thought
The Eagles quarterback actually suffered multiple injuries in his left knee

It's now been more than six weeks since Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz was lost for the season after suffering a left knee injury in a Week 14 win over the Rams.

At the time, it was believed that Wentz had only suffered a torn ACL, but apparently, the injury was slightly more serious than that. During an interview on Friday, Wentz revealed that he also tore his LCL during the Eagles' 43-35 win over Los Angeles.

"After we went in there and everything, it was actually the ACL and the LCL," Wentz said, via the Philadelphia Inquirer. "I'm still feeling confident with it. The rehab -- it's the same type of progression and everything. It's gone great so far."

The interview on Friday was Wentz's first time meeting with the media since he originally suffered the injury back on December 10. As if the LCL tear wasn't bad enough, NFL.com reported in mid-December that Wentz also had a partially torn IT [iliotibial] band, and that he had to have some meniscus damage cleaned up during his Dec. 13 surgery.

Despite the fact that his injury was worse than anyone originally thought, Wentz doesn't believe that will affect his recovery timeline.

"I don't think so," Wentz said, via NBC Philadelphia. "I think, again, I'm very confident in talking with trainers and everything that the rehab schedule doesn't change a whole lot. It's just something we have to be careful with. I'm feeling confident with it and I said it in the video I posted right after the injury. I 100 percent believe I'll be back better than ever, stronger than ever, with no looking back."

So what exactly is Wentz's recovery timeline? Our Ryan Wilson took a look at that this week, which you can read by clicking here. Although Wentz didn't get into specifics about training camp or any part of the preseason, he did say he definitely wants to be on the field for the Eagles' regular season opener in 2018.

"My goal is to be out there Week 1," Wentz said. "The timetable stuff, I wish I knew just as much as you guys wish you knew. It's just such a fluid process, and we'll just see what happens."

No matter when he gets back, there's one thing that won't be changing when he returns: his playing style. Wentz made it clear on Friday that he's going to continue to play quarterback the way he's played it his entire life.

"I am who I am. Injuries happen. Injuries aren't going to change me," Wentz said, via ESPN.com. "Obviously you guys want to talk about, 'Are you learning to protect yourself?' We ... talked about that all season long, and that will continue to grow and develop, but as far as playing aggressive and being the player that I am, I won't change."

For now, Wentz is going to be the Eagles' biggest cheerleader as they get ready to play the Patriots in Super Bowl LII.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the Rams released Foles, first thing I thought was “That guy is gonna win Super Bowl MVP”

fisher's offenses will go down as the worst offenses in nfl history.

3 qbs under his archaic thumb floundered but when real coaches with real offenses took them under their wings they all flourished. two led their team to the playoffs and the other was the superbowl mvp.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Maybe people put too much focus and importance on the quarterback position for what is one of the best teams sports played in the world.

Maybe it's not about Wentz vs. Goff but rather one team vs. another.

Like TB12, every quarterback is a product of the system they play in, admittedly some more than others.

With the Rams out, I was really pulling for Keenum or Foles to win it all.

That said no way should anyone sane pay Foles MVP quarterback money.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Good coaching and scheme fit is a big part of any players success.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, but the guy did it when many others couldn't. He made throws that I don't remember seeing when he played for us, which probably comes from coaching too. But on the biggest stage, he won the d@mn thing against Tom Brady.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe people put too much focus and importance on the quarterback position for what is one of the best teams sports played in the world.

Maybe it's not about Wentz vs. Goff but rather one team vs. another.

Like TB12, every quarterback is a product of the system they play in, admittedly some more than others.

With the Rams out, I was really pulling for Keenum or Foles to win it all.

That said no way should anyone sane pay Foles MVP quarterback money.

Agreed on the above. I'm really happy for Nick, so much better to see him win that game than another Brady victory and more Tom worship in the media when it's also about all the other guys on that team too.

Truth is a QB is one of 11. The most important of the 11, yes, but still look how good his protections were, which allowed him to settle in quickly and play what was the game of his life. Peterson had a great scheme drawn up, called a fine game, and the players executed it most importantly, to include the OL giving Nick time and him then making some throws that had me sayin "Woah!" But yeah, isn't it funny that in a game where the other QB had "Tom Brady" time in the pocket he looked like Tom Brady? Amazing.

Anyway really glad I tuned in to this Super Bowl, as it was a fine game with an even finer ending. And re: Nick, they don't need to move him, but it does avoid some problems like averting a QB controversy (even though I think those are overplayed in terms of impact to the team, as all players need to compete for their roster spots & jobs) and taking care of a player who stepped up and won you a ring. I wouldn't go after the best offer necessarily, either, but rather would do like KC did and let the player influence the decision.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eagles fans are still all about Wentz. They would not be happy if Foles were the starter over their steamboat Carson Wentz.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One thing to remember is the Patriots pass rush sucked this year. Foles does not do well under steady pass rush pressure. So teams with bad Olines need not inquire about Foles.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing to remember is the Patriots pass rush sucked this year. Foles does not do well under steady pass rush pressure. So teams with bad Olines need not inquire about Foles.
He beat the Vikings, didn't he? *shrugs (and us)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Nick Foles, quarterback, Philadelphia. He did everything imaginable to make the world forget he is a backup quarterback. He went 28 of 43 for 373 yards and three touchdown passes, but the stats do not tell the story here. On the game’s biggest stage, Foles went toe-to-toe with the five-time champion Brady, even one-upping the league MVP by hauling in a pass (for a touchdown) after Brady dropped a similar opportunity earlier in the game. Foles was named the Super Bowl MVP and is now headed to Disneyland. What a story."
~Peter King, MMQB

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He beat the Vikings, didn't he? *shrugs (and us)

The Eagles have a great offensive line. They kept Foles clean enough for him to make plays. Plus Pederson tailored the offense for Foles to get rid of it faster. How well did Foles handle pressure when he played for the Rams?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Eagles have a great offensive line. They kept Foles clean enough for him to make plays. Plus Pederson tailored the offense for Foles to get rid of it faster. How well did Foles handle pressure when he played for the Rams?
how well did Case or Jared for that matter? How good would Tom Brady play if he was getting killed every play?
No Qb likes pressure.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Philly is fortunate. Turned Bradfraud into a mid first round pick (yes this actually happened, somone gave up a first for Bradfraud). Now will get value from Foles.

Thing about Foles is he's a free agent after next year, if Philly is going to get a pick for him, would need to trade him this spring. Although he'd be an insurance policy for Wentz, I'd imagine an in season trade for a free agent to be QB would produce low value.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Wonder if Jeff Fisher will have anything to say about the 2015 Ram season starting QB & his coaching staff involvement in the making & building of this years SB wining MVP Nick Foles?

Who would have thought that the Ram had a SB MVP QB on its 2015 team?:shocking:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wonder if Jeff Fisher will have anything to say about the 2015 Ram season starting QB & his coaching staff involvement in the making & building of this years SB wining MVP Nick Foles?

Who would have thought that the Ram had a SB MVP QB on its 2015 team?:shocking:
Yeah, that's why we went and got Nick! We knew we could develop him

You're welcome Pederson
~Fisher in Montana

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Philly is fortunate. Turned Bradfraud into a mid first round pick (yes this actually happened, somone gave up a first for Bradfraud). Now will get value from Foles.

Thing about Foles is he's a free agent after next year, if Philly is going to get a pick for him, would need to trade him this spring. Although he'd be an insurance policy for Wentz, I'd imagine an in season trade for a free agent to be QB would produce low value.

That wasn’t true for Garopollo and he didn’t just lead his team to a Super Bowl win.

I could see them holding on to Foles until they are sure Wentz is back and then trading him for a first.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Super Bowl MVP is fine but ultimately it's not reality. If a player does stupid things (Santonio Holmes) or just isn't a bonafide starter (Malcom Smith) there's no gaurentee.

That said, Philly would be smart to let him stay as a backup, hell there's an off chance he could retire. Remember he didn't even want to play anywhere except for Andy Reid. Who knows.

Not sure they could afford him past 2018. As it is they are currently like $6M OVER the 2018 cap. That could grow I assume with SB bonuses paid out.

Then consider that Wentz will get paid in 2 more years, then how do you keep a back up QB making $5-8M a year or more, past 2018, plus Wentz, when their cap is already a problem now.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Then again maybe he would be content to take less money and be the Frank Reich to Wentz's Jim Kelly role.