OT: 49ers and Hue Jackson. Hope they don't hire him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
I'll be pissed if he does....

The coaching talent in the NFCWest.... Sans well...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Way better coordinator than head coach so far, but I love his offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They are going to hire somebody and he's going to be better than Jim Tomsula, I like Hue Jackson too, but if he is the next Head Coach of the Whiners I will not like him anymore and wish him nothing but an unsuccessful tenure.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
@MountainRam

You don't have to write OT in the thread title. If it's about the NFL or the Rams it's not off topic in this section. Unless of course you have a different meaning for OT. :sneaky:

FRO

Legend
I was hoping they hired Linehan or Spags. Hiring Hue would suck for us. Why do we have to be the team that gives a guy a 5th year with the previous 4 being losing seasons.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My primary concern is who Fisher hires as OC. If he does that right, it's not going to matter who the whiners have as head coach. Not concerned in the least with Jackson going there. This means the whiners hiring DeFillipo would actually be more damaging to the Rams, particularly if he's that OC upgrade we have needed for so long.

My secondary concern with the whiners is that Goff will not get by them in the draft. Kid wears 16 for Montana and grew up a whiners fan. The whiners are poised to cause us far more problems in that respect given their QB need IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bummer.
I really like Jackson.
Would love to see him with the Rams as the OC if not the HC.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I really hope they go with Chip so he can purge whatever talent they have left and bury them into the ground even deeper.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I hope they hire Bill Walsh again. Cuz, he's dead. See?
That would suck for them. :fighting:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More and more signs are pointing at Hue to SF. And that's bad. I think he's going to be a really good coach. Will get the most out of the talent he's given.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
More and more signs are pointing at Hue to SF. And that's bad. I think he's going to be a really good coach. Will get the most out of the talent he's given.
.I just hope that whomever they hire likes Kap and let's another QB fall.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.sfexaminer.com/as-49ers-examine-kelly-jackson-next-up/

On a candidates list otherwise short of starpower, the 49ers have found a lightning rod in the embattled Chip Kelly.

The deposed Philadelphia Eagles coach has sent feelers that he wants back in the NFL, and in the 49ers he has found open ears. Kelly is one of four candidates known to have spoken with the organization about its head coach vacancy.

Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, the former Raiders head coach, is set to be interviewed by 49ers officials Sunday in Cincinnati. The Bengals have a playoff game at home against Pittsburgh the night before.

Kelly comes off a tumultuous season filled with controversy, one that concluded with questions about his leadership and talent evaluation skills.

On Dec. 29, Kelly was relieved of his duties with one game left in the regular season, his third with the team. The Eagles had consecutive 10-6 records before they dropped to 6-9 and out of the playoffs this season.

After Kelly was terminated, team owner Jeffrey Lurie said of his successor, “Looking for somebody who interacts very well and communicates clearly with everybody he works with and comes in touch with.”

While Kelly did not have the title of general manager during his Eagles tenure, he had the final word on personnel matters. The question is whether Kelly and general manager Trent Baalke can form a successful partnership in Santa Clara, where Baalke and former coach Jim Harbaugh clashed before Harbaugh left after the 2014 season. CEO Jed York has said Baalke and the new coach will have to find a happy medium in making personnel decisions.

Former Eagle DeSean Jackson had more criticism for Kelly when the current Washington Redskins and former Cal wide receiver told TheMMQB.com in a Friday story, “When you ruin a team like that, you do things to peoples’ families, you release people, you trade people, you get rid of good players who build something with the community, with the fans, with the kids — to have a guy come in and change up the team like that, I just believe in karma.

“I don’t have any bad words to say about [Kelly] as far as what he feels he needs on his roster. But the guys that were on that roster created something special, from Jeremy Maclin to LeSean McCoy to Trent Cole to Todd Herremans and myself and Brandon Boykin — it goes on and on and on. When we were there, we were a brotherhood. So for everyone to go their separate ways and to see how it all ended up, it’s a very sad thing.”

Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo also met with the Niners. Like Jim Tomsula, who was fired by the team last week, he has no previous experience as an NFL head coach.

Buffalo Bills assistant Anthony Lynn met with team officials on Thursday, but he is no more than a long shot for the position. Lynn fulfills the requirement of the Rooney Rule, which stipulates that at least one minority candidate be interviewed for the position.

That the 37-year DeFilippo was on the list could be an indication that additional changes are in store for the coaching staff. While the Browns were a distant 25th in total offense this season, they ranked ahead of the Niners in most categories with comparable talent. All assistants on Tomsula’s staff — including offensive coordinator Geep Chryst and quarterbacks coach Steve Logan — remain on the 49ers’ payroll until the new coach has time to assess them, York said.

DeFilippo has experience with quarterbacks, another area where the Niners came up short this season. Previously, he served as quarterbacks coach for the Raiders (2007-08, 2012-14) and New York Jets (2009).

DeFilippo also has a link to high places. He hails from Youngstown, Ohio, home of the York family. He and Jed York are Notre Dame products.

The front office also has had ongoing talks with former Denver Broncos coach and Niners offense coordinator Mike Shanahan, who, along with Kelly, is unemployed.

The Niners had talks with nine candidates before they settled on Tomsula one year ago.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Kelly wants 9ers job due to Kaep, who is a far better fit for his offense than any QB he had in Philly.

Might happen and if it does might affect whether they go QB at 5.