Orlando Pace Offers Advice to Rookie Linemen, Talks Adjustment to NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Three-time All-Pro and long-time St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace joined Prime Time with Joe Roderick and Andy Hanselman on Tuesday. Pace talked about the Rams’ offensive-line-heavy draft class, the team’s first-round selection of running back Todd Gurley and rookies having to adjust to the NFL game.

Listen to Pace Interview

===============

What was your reaction when the Rams took Todd Gurley No. 10 overall?

"Really surprised. I liked what Tre Mason did last year. I thought they had a pretty good running back corp. Especially with Gurley and his ACL injury, you never know guys are going to be (after that). I think he's going to be a Pro Bowl guy for years to come, but you still want that impact player right away."

The Rams took four offensive linemen in the draft. What do you think the biggest thing they'll have to learn or adjustment they'll have to make?

"It's the speed of the game. The big thing is...(when they're in college), once or twice a year you face a guy that's going to make you work the entire game. In the NFL, week in and week out, there's guys that have to feed their families, that you have to block. It's not so much how big or strong they are, it's how quick you can catch on with your technique. Guys are constantly trying to set you up and counter-move you and those type of things. You have to learn how to recover, because somebody is going to be you and you have to be athletic enough to recover and still make the block."

What would you attribute to the top-10 picks throughout history who end up being busts?

"It's the speed, but pass rushers are getting so much better now. In college, there's a lot of guys who can get away with being physical because they're bigger than everybody else. But in the League, it just doesn't work that way. You have to be technique-conscience and sound."

What are your concerns with the Rams' offensive line?

"The thing that concerns me with the Rams offensive line is all these guys could be great players at some point. But there's just too may holes to fill when your whole right side could be rookies. Coach (Paul Boudreau) really has his work cut out for him. Just to teach hard three or four of those guys how to play the position and they don't have enough experience so hopefully they bring in a veteran guy in who can help bring these guys along."

More on offensive line's lack of experience:

"You never know how guys are going to react once they're in the trenches. Being a young guy, how will they respond when they have a bad? I'd like to see them at least pick up a couple veteran linemen."

What are you going to look for in Greg Robinson in his second year at left tackle?

"He has to really focus on his technique. He can make all the blocks. He just has to work on getting better. This is a big offseason for him. Now you're in the pros, this is your second year, you have experience. You're the second pick, so you have expectations. You just want to see guys get better...so they don't have to worry about him as much."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...o-Rookie-Linemen-Talks-Adjustment-to-NFL.aspx

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yup... maybe THE best.

His assessment is not all that glowing... Coach (B) has his work cut out for him? He just might...
If anybody can do it, it's Paul. Though he might have to call up Pace to come whip them into shape too. While they're at it they can bring down Holt and Bruce again.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What are your concerns with the Rams' offensive line?

"The thing that concerns me with the Rams offensive line is all these guys could be great players at some point. But there's just too may holes to fill when your whole right side could be rookies. Coach (Paul Boudreau) really has his work cut out for him. Just to teach hard three or four of those guys how to play the position and they don't have enough experience so hopefully they bring in a veteran guy in who can help bring these guys along."

I'm still hopeful that they move Saffold back to RG.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Sometimes it's easier to coach newbies, rather than get Vets in, you know old-dog, new-tricks etc. I'm sure coach Bou will be able to hold them into the players he wants at the positions he wants ;) However, if we picked up (at the right price) Barksdale, Blalock or even Long, to add experience and depth to our line, I wouldn't complain.