Orlando on Firings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
PRESSBOX.jpg

01-03-2012 Segment 5, Orlando Pace
Former Rams O-lineman Orlando Pace chimes in with his take on the Rams' firings.

[mp3]http://media.kfns.com/Podcasts/1949/01-03-12_Segment_5.mp3[/mp3]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice posting job, man. Looks like I did it. :sly:

I just got done listening to that and was going to post it too. I didn't care for Orlando's narrow view on the coaching hire when he said, "I'd ask the Steelers what they look for in a coach and try to do that." Herp. The Steelers look for a guy who can handle being a coach for 15 years. Then they ride the wave accordingly. Plus they have an uber strong structure from top to bottom and make an effort in getting him the players he needs. Not to mention the identity they've had for decades now. I'd emulate THAT before I asked them what they look for in a coach.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Well, I admit it, I copied you :p

Also, as painful as it has been all season, I just love listening to Orlando, and appreciate his brutal honesty. He's one of the few pro football players I can actually see hanging around over dinner and talking with, and not just about football.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:

I just got done listening to that and was going to post it too. I didn't care for Orlando's narrow view on the coaching hire when he said, "I'd ask the Steelers what they look for in a coach and try to do that." Herp. The Steelers look for a guy who can handle being a coach for 15 years. Then they ride the wave accordingly. Plus they have an uber strong structure from top to bottom and make an effort in getting him the players he needs. Not to mention the identity they've had for decades now. I'd emulate THAT before I asked them what they look for in a coach.
Orlando Pace = Not a good nfl executive

Ask your competitor how he does business? Really?

I say Pepsi asks Coke for the recipe for Coke, and AMD asks Intel for some schematics.

I completely respect Orlando when talking about football - ie Technique. But his analysis is often very shallow.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
steferfootball said:
X said:

I say Pepsi asks Coke for the recipe for Coke, and AMD asks Intel for some schematics.

I completely respect Orlando when talking about football - ie Technique. But his analysis is often very shallow.
X, it sounded like that idea just popped into his head as he spoke. I don't think he really thought it through. On his thought though, seems to me that they "groom coaches", and a lot of successful organizations have done that throughout the past.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
steferfootball said:
X said:

X, it sounded like that idea just popped into his head as he spoke. I don't think he really thought it through. On his thought though, seems to me that they "groom coaches", and a lot of successful organizations have done that throughout the past.
Yeah, I noticed the interviewers let that one skate on by. Didn't even comment on it. The Steelers didn't groom Tomlin though. They got him from the Vikings.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
steferfootball said:
X said:

Competitors hire each other's staff all the time via headhunters and other means, being one method they rely upon to gain intelligence on the competitor's strategies and tactics. Also, the staffs that run those companies all go to the same schools and attend the same seminars, hence, knowledge is most definitely shared across competitors. So, Orlando's comments are not out-of-line by any means.

I have no idea how you can conclude that Orlando would not be a good NFL exec. Seems to me he has all the business acumen and personality to operate any business he desires. Further, his straightforward manner is extremely refreshing.

As far as his comments about the Steelers, I interpret that to mean him saying: find out how the successful organizatoins operate and copy their model. What's wrong with that, as that is exactly what SK seems to be trying to do, albeit, he's trying to emulate the Belicheat model.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
steferfootball said:
X said:

Yeah, I noticed the interviewers let that one skate on by. Didn't even comment on it. The Steelers didn't groom Tomlin though. They got him from the Vikings.
And they know how to steal! I remember now that Childress gave Tomlin a huge break. Tomlin was an incredibly fast riser, he must be something special, and because of guys like him, I'm glad that the Rams have not ruled out hiring a coordinator.

steferfootball

Starter
interference said:
steferfootball said:
X said:

Competitors hire each other's staff all the time via headhunters and other means, being one method they rely upon to gain intelligence on the competitor's strategies and tactics. Also, the staffs that run those companies all go to the same schools and attend the same seminars, hence, knowledge is most definitely shared across competitors. So, Orlando's comments are not out-of-line by any means.

I have no idea how you can conclude that Orlando would not be a good NFL exec. Seems to me he has all the business acumen and personality to operate any business he desires. Further, his straightforward manner is extremely refreshing.

As far as his comments about the Steelers, I interpret that to mean him saying: find out how the successful organizatoins operate and copy their model. What's wrong with that, as that is exactly what SK seems to be trying to do, albeit, he's trying to emulate the Belicheat model.
That is more synonymous with hiring a coach from the Steelers organization. Not asking them what they do.

I conclude that about him because he doesn't strike me as a particularly bright guy. I'm not saying he is dumb, but that is how he comes across to me. When he talks about personnel decisions for example, I just don't find him to be insightful. Aside from that, how many former nfl players have become successful nfl GMs? I'm genuinely interested in knowing, Matt Millen is the only player-exec that comes to mind.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
steferfootball said:
interference said:

That is more synonymous with hiring a coach from the Steelers organization. Not asking them what they do.

I conclude that about him because he doesn't strike me as a particularly bright guy. I'm not saying he is dumb, but that is how he comes across to me. When he talks about personnel decisions for example, I just don't find him to be insightful. Aside from that, how many former nfl players have become successful nfl GMs? I'm genuinely interested in knowing, Matt Millen is the only player-exec that comes to mind.
Execs, Board members, etc. across all companies talk all the time. Just look at the cross-pollination of board members in board rooms across America - the same names show up all over the place. What Orlando is talking about is not as far fetched as you think. If SK called Rooney on the phone, Rooney would be very open in that call. This is a club, and it would be seen as rude for one club member to snub another club member who seeks a cordial discussion about how they generally go about business.

Also, I think you confuse Orlando's speaking style with his discussions points. He's certainly no politician, but what he's been suggesting all season is the direction that the Rams now seem to be following. For example, he advocated cleaning house about 2-months ago, perhaps earlier, and suggest putting Fisher at the top of the HC candidate list. I posted that interview on this forum, so it can be searched for an confirmed. So, who cares if he didn't go to the Demoff school of public speaking, I'm more interested in the message, which he nailed weeks ago.

ON EDIT: Funny, I'm just listening to today's Demoff interview and he just said (around min 35) about "stealing" ideas from other organizations around the league. While Demoff's articulation of that message was quite a bit different than Orlando's, the message was almost identical. So, should Demoff NOT be a Rams exec given your logic?

steferfootball

Starter
interference said:
steferfootball said:
interference said:

Execs, Board members, etc. across all companies talk all the time. Just look at the cross-pollination of board members in board rooms across America - the same names show up all over the place. What Orlando is talking about is not as far fetched as you think. If SK called Rooney on the phone, Rooney would be very open in that call. This is a club, and it would be seen as rude for one club member to snub another club member who seeks a cordial discussion about how they generally go about business.

Also, I think you confuse Orlando's speaking style with his discussions points. He's certainly no politician, but what he's been suggesting all season is the direction that the Rams now seem to be following. For example, he advocated cleaning house about 2-months ago, perhaps earlier, and suggest putting Fisher at the top of the HC candidate list. I posted that interview on this forum, so it can be searched for an confirmed. So, who cares if he didn't go to the Demoff school of public speaking, I'm more interested in the message, which he nailed weeks ago.
I'm not confusing anything with anything. I don't consider him insightful. Not because of his speaking style either.

So he wanted to clean house and hire a big name coach. Most (or at least many) pundits have been suggesting the same thing for quite some time. Heck, I could probably find a post from the PD that would say the same thing. :ww:

Also OT: This commentator in the Bulls-Hawks game has a little more than a man crush on Derick Rose. He is flat out rooting for the Bulls.

superfan24

Starter
steferfootball said:
interference said:
steferfootball said:
interference said:

I'm not confusing anything with anything. I don't consider him insightful. Not because of his speaking style either.

So he wanted to clean house and hire a big name coach. Most (or at least many) pundits have been suggesting the same thing for quite some time. Heck, I could probably find a post from the PD that would say the same thing. :ww:

Also OT: This commentator in the Bulls-Hawks game has a little more than a man crush on Derick Rose. He is flat out rooting for the Bulls.

LMAO I just finished watching the game too. Are you talking about Stacey King? He is the MAN in Chicago. Or did you watch it on league pass or something? What a game. GO BULLS

steferfootball

Starter
superfan24 said:
steferfootball said:

LMAO I just finished watching the game too. Are you talking about Stacey King? He is the MAN in Chicago. Or did you watch it on league pass or something? What a game. GO BULLS
NBA TV.
I didn't realize who it was. But that was obnoxious. Like could you imagine Troy Aikman yelling "Tony Romo MVDP!!! Most Valuable Dominant Player" whenever Romo throws a td? Actually that'd be halarious. :lol:

It really was a great game, fun to watch.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
steferfootball said:
interference said:
steferfootball said:
interference said:

Well, we'll just agree to disagree then. Just to repeat, from where I sit, Orlando is one of the astute analysts I've heard, and I'd do business with him anytime.