Orlando Brown?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Just curious, IF, OT Orlando Brown is available when the Rams pick (Doubtful, but I have seen some Mock Drafts that have him falling to the Rams and even further down!) would you take him? I don't know much about him other than he played for Oklahoma and he is HUGE and he has great bloodlines! Personally, I think I would take him but I really don't know much about him or any of the other Draft prospects for that matter!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He's more of a RT prospect than a potential replacement for Whitworh imo. If the Rams like Havenstein going forward, then I doubt he's high on our radar.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can you say no to the Son of Zeus? As I recall, people said the same thing about his pops (more of a RT). Yet, Zeus was a quality LT until Tripleshit forced him to take years off.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Normally those 6'8 have too "heavy feet" to play on the left side.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Normally those 6'8 have too "heavy feet" to play on the left side.

Yet, a lot of those long, massive, strong people stick at LT after being told they couldn't. Just off the top of my head, there's Jared Veldheer, Jared Gaither, Max Starks, King Dunlap, Cordy Glenn, Marcus McNeill, Alejandro Villanueva, Bryant McKinnie, etc. Hell, Big Whit measured in at 6'7" 334 pounds coming out of college and put up pedestrian numbers at the Combine. I bet he could show the Son of Zeus the way to drop some of the bad weight and improve his athleticism.

Regardless, the key question is if the big OTs are quick enough to stop the inside move. If they're long and not slow as molasses, they can force the guy to take a long loop and run him past the QB (while being very difficult to bullrush). They just have to be able to take away that inside move if the edge rusher uses it.

I'd say the only big downside is that those huge guys don't seem to last as long. It seems like they tend to run into injury issues (especially back problems) in their late-20s and early-30s.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet, a lot of those long, massive, strong people stick at LT after being told they couldn't. Just off the top of my head, there's Jared Veldheer, Jared Gaither, Max Starks, King Dunlap, Cordy Glenn, Marcus McNeill, Alejandro Villanueva, Bryant McKinnie, etc. Hell, Big Whit measured in at 6'7" 334 pounds coming out of college and put up pedestrian numbers at the Combine. I bet he could show the Son of Zeus the way to drop some of the bad weight and improve his athleticism.

Regardless, the key question is if the big OTs are quick enough to stop the inside move. If they're long and not slow as molasses, they can force the guy to take a long loop and run him past the QB (while very difficult to bullrush). They just have to be able to take away that inside move if the edge rusher uses it.

I'd say the only big downside is that those huge guys don't seem to last as long. It seems like they tend to run into injury issues (especially back problems) in their late-20s and early-30s.
Let us not forget another 6'7" LT named Orlando.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let us not forget another 6'7" LT named Orlando.

I didn't include him (and a few others such as Solder and Ogden) because he was incredibly athletic, so I don't think anyone really questioned if he could play LT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Rams talk themselves into an OT at 23 I'll get behind it and understand why they did it. And then I'll hope it works out.

But man. I'd be irked, gotta be honest. The tackles in this draft are iffy as F and at 23 we'd be getting a backup who is probably graded below at least a few defensive types. Teams are still gonna take them, they're that important. Just hope it's not the Rams, at least early on.

My fear is the Rams go after Williams to play OG for them, and with hopes of him being a swing guy. But he won't beat out Brown and isn't anywhere near good enough to unseat Havenstein. He'll sit on the bench. At least with an interior type that can play Center we get a starter out of the deal.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If the Rams talk themselves into an OT at 23 I'll get behind it and understand why they did it. And then I'll hope it works out.

But man. I'd be irked, gotta be honest. The tackles in this draft are iffy as F and at 23 we'd be getting a backup who is probably graded below at least a few defensive types. Teams are still gonna take them, they're that important. Just hope it's not the Rams, at least early on.

My fear is the Rams go after Williams to play OG for them, and with hopes of him being a swing guy. But he won't beat out Brown and isn't anywhere near good enough to unseat Havenstein. He'll sit on the bench. At least with an interior type that can play Center we get a starter out of the deal.

Agree on this class having a limited amount of quality off the shelf starter ready LT's. I'd prefer the trade down scenario where we move down into the 2'nd round this season and pick-up an additional 2'nd round pick in 2019 that we could potentially use to trade up higher for a LT in next years draft. Maybe we could still pick up Billy Price with this years 2'nd depending on that shoulder injury. jmo.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd pass on Brown because he would be a first round pick that could end up on the bench for the first two years of his contract. That is a big waste of a rookie contract that should be saving cap space for five years.

The Rams are close enough to being Super bowl contenders that I am hoping for a more immediate impact player from round one, especially with no second round pick. Now if they traded back to round 2 then take a tackle like Colton Miller then okay. I loved Jrry's idea of taking Toth late in the draft. He has a two year commitment to fulfill with the Army but will be NFL ready the same year Whitworth's contract expires. He looked very good at the Senior bowl. That way they could land more immediate help even if they traded back to round 2, by taking a corner, nose tackle, edge rusher, or inside linebacker.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'd pass on Brown because he would be a first round pick that could end up on the bench for the first two years of his contract. That is a big waste of a rookie contract that should be saving cap space for five years.

The Rams are close enough to being Super bowl contenders that I am hoping for a more immediate impact player from round one, especially with no second round pick. Now if they traded back to round 2 then take a tackle like Colton Miller then okay. I loved Jrry's idea of taking Toth late in the draft. He has a two year commitment to fulfill with the Army but will be NFL ready the same year Whitworth's contract expires. He looked very good at the Senior bowl. That way they could land more immediate help even if they traded back to round 2, by taking a corner, nose tackle, edge rusher, or inside linebacker.

Agreed on this line of thinking as well, I want an impact player on defense in the first. I understand the need to take a tackle there but like you said they could just be sitting on the bench for a year or two. Would rather take one in the 2nd or 3rd day that they think they can develop in a year to be a starter and if that doesn't work out go all in on tackle next year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
He just ran a 5.86 40 and did 14 reps in the bench at the combine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/orlando-browns-combine-off-to-a-slow-start/

Orlando Brown’s Combine off to a slow start
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2018

ap_180607681943082.jpg

AP

Orlando Brown is clearly hoping teams value his game tape more than his combine testing.

The Oklahoma tackle just put down a ponderously slow 5.86-second 40-yard dash on his first attempt. He’ll get another try, but it’s not as if he fell down and tied his shoes and got up and finished the 40, so it’s probably not likely to get much faster.

This comes after he underwhelmed scouts yesterday by managing just 14 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press. For comparison’s sake, running back Saquon Barkley did 29. Granted, players with shorter arms have an easier time with the bench press, but the number is alarming for a guy who is going to have to push people away from him.

The son of the former Ravens tackle said yesterday he wasn’t sweating the lift.

“Personally, I didn’t stick to my routine, my breathing routine. That’s the lowest number I’ve done. I’ll redo it at my pro day,” Brown said, via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “Keeping it real, all my numbers will be held against me. I’m an offensive tackle and all my numbers are going to be compared to the other offensive tackles. That’s just the reality of it.”

The 6-foot-7, 345-pounder is actually smaller than he used to be, as he was 415 pounds in high school — which set him on a certain path to follow his father to the NFL.

“I’ve been fat my whole life,” he said. “I wish I was fast. If I was fast, 6-2, I’d probably be playing [defensive back], but God blessed me. … It is what it is. I don’t necessarily try to live up to his expectations.”

At least he has a sense of humor about things, and it’s not as if he’s not talented. He’s projected as a first-rounder because of his rare size and long arms, and he was an All-American last season.

UPDATE 9:34 a.m. ET: Brown improved to an unofficial 5.77-second 40 on his second attempt. Still very slow.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would be just fine with Snead selecting a Tackle but he better have the word Nose in front of the Tackle.;)

Little Zeus would be a nice gift if he fell to us.
Maybe ....Kromer is in a bad way @ reserve OT at the moment so there is a very big need. Kromer could also still be interested in moving Havenstein back to Right OG too. Thus when Saffold departs the less costly Jamon Brown would flip back to his natural left side @ LG.

The negative press about the Orlando Brown's weak bench is nothing new those extra long arms must move that 225 a much further distance than all those short arm players & that always seems to missed in these situations. If you put Brown on the incline bench he would most likely come out close to the top of all the prospects.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IF, OT Orlando Brown is available when the Rams pick (Doubtful, but I have seen some Mock Drafts that have him falling to the Rams and even further down!) would you take him?
No...
Guy has some of the worst movement-skills of a alleged 1st round talent.....I mean....his combine is how he plays....could he turn into a player? Maybe....but he's not better than Havenstein....
The negative press about the Orlando Brown's weak bench is nothing new those extra long arms must move that 225 a much further distance than all those short arm players & that always seems to missed in these situations. If you put Brown on the incline bench he would most likely come out close to the top of all the prospects.
Not just his bench Boni....and a lot of guys have long arms....dude looks like he hates the gym....and loves the table...the dinner table...moves poorly in games too...you could put him on an incline...a decline...in a pool...with cement weights....he'd test poorly...and personally, I wouldn't want him protecting my QB.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm skeptical about the Rams taking anybody who has questions about their work ethic. Hard workers improve - players without that ethic often have trouble lasting through their first contract. No thanks, in other words.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Damn, overlooked this thread when I posted the results of Brown's combine stuff in the other one. Mods if you need to delete it or whatever please do so.

Anyway, I have said before I don't like this OT class and still don't. But the more I watched his cutups the more I figured Brown would go before 23 due to OT need around the league, as he just takes care of business and neutralizes rushers. People can question the level of edge rushers he saw week to week in general in the Big12, but the dude does the job.

This is a really big development. If he slides out of day one consideration, that further hurts a weak position group. Still think some team in the 20s will grab him up, but man it's interesting.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Game tape is far more important than combine numbers. I doubt that anyone slipped out of the first round because of his bench press or 40 time, the opposite is true though. Coaches and scouts can become enthralled with a players athleticism and overvalue him as a football player. The interviews might be more important than the combine. Sitting down with a player and finding out what he knows about football and learning more about his character and personality.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Any Tackle that had to slim down 70 pounds from their HIGH SCHOOL weight scares the hell out of me. My guess is that he has weight issues his entire career and though I hate to say it, it may be his heart than makes him slow and hate the weight room. I have nothing against the kid but I want big and strong with good feet. I don't want big fatty that was able to handle college kids.