Oregon Ducks players will be disciplined for 'No means no' chant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/01/oregon_players_will_be_discipl.html#incart_m-rpt-1

PASADENA -- The Oregon players who taunted Florida State and quarterback Jameis Winston after the Ducks' Rose Bowl win Thursday will be disciplined, Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich said in a statement.

Video shot by numerous media organizations, including the Oregonian, showed several Oregon players chanting "No means no" to the tune of the "Warchant" used by Florida State fans and mimicking the iconic Seminole Tomahawk chop. The gesture was an apparent mocking of Winston and the sexual assault accusations that have followed the former Heisman Trophy winner over the last two seasons.

"We are aware of the inappropriate behavior in the postgame," Helfrich said. "That is not what our program stands for, and the student-athletes will be disciplined internally."

The players doing the chanting in the video are sophomore linebacker Torrodney Prevot, redshirt freshman running back Kani Benoit, sophomore receiver Chance Allen and redshirt freshman safety Tyree Robinson.

Winston was accused by a woman of raping her in 2012, but has never been charged. After long court proceedings, Winston was recently cleared of violating Florida State's student code of conduct.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Classless. Choosing a National stage after a resounding win to ridicule an opponent about a personal matter, that they really cannot be certain about is poor sportsmanship.

The field should be for football. Freedom of speech is fine but there are better opportunities and timing for voices opinions.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Classless. Choosing a National stage after a resounding win to ridicule an opponent about a personal matter, that they really cannot be certain about is poor sportsmanship.

The field should be for football. Freedom of speech is fine but there are better opportunities and timing for voices opinions.

It will be interesting to see what punishment those players receive. It would be nice to see them stay home for the Championship Game! That would make a statement from their Coach and from their school!

I'm confused, players from an FSU game being punished for their actions? :confused: That can't actually be right can it?

Oh right they were playing against FSU, I get it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have heard worse chants at a high school game. FSU wasn't exactly classy either as most of the team did a mad dash to the locker room without congratulating any one from the other team. One of the few players to stay out and congratulate Oregon was Winston.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Call it classless all you want... but they had a point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Call it classless all you want... but they had a point.

The only point that I can see is that they were classless. What evidence do they have? How can they be sure that the girl didn't agree to have sex and only changed her mind after the fact? How can they be sure she wasn't trying to take advantage of him because of who he was?

They are probably right in their assumptions but that does not make them certain. So they were wrong.

The only point that I can see is that they were classless. What evidence do they have? How can they be sure that the girl didn't agree to have sex and only changed her mind after the fact? How can they be sure she wasn't trying to take advantage of him because of who he was?

They are probably right in their assumptions but that does not make them certain. So they were wrong.

As there wasn't anything approaching a legitimate investigation there isn't any proof of anything. I'm not sure why someone would put themselves through all the shit she's been put through by FSU fans, but that's not really proof of anything.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As there wasn't anything approaching a legitimate investigation there isn't any proof of anything. I'm not sure why someone would put themselves through all the crap she's been put through by FSU fans, but that's not really proof of anything.

Like I said, they are probably right. However I recall a runningback for PSU that had rape allegations. He was the star of the team and ended up being kicked off. the case drug on a few years and finally a friend of the victim admitted it was all a set up because he was a star player. The case looked legit enough for PSU to feel they had no choice but dismiss the kid.

After that I am never too quick to judge these matters.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

There are false accusations in these kind of things... but there is too much smoke around this idiot for there not to be fire of some sort there.

Like I said, they are probably right. However I recall a runningback for PSU that had rape allegations. He was the star of the team and ended up being kicked off. the case drug on a few years and finally a friend of the victim admitted it was all a set up because he was a star player. The case looked legit enough for PSU to feel they had no choice but dismiss the kid.

After that I am never too quick to judge these matters.

Some people lie, not conducting an investigation based upon that fact isn't the way to go.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Exactly why what the Oregon players did is wrong. Winston could be innocent.
He could be innocent. That's why he's not in jail.

If he thinks those Oregon players were wrong to say what they said, he can try suing them for slander.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He could be innocent. That's why he's not in jail.

If he thinks those Oregon players were wrong to say what they said, he can try suing them for slander.

So, are you saying that if he doesn't sue, that he is admitting guilt? Maybe he old just turn the other cheek and figure he will soon be making more than what he could ever get fom a few college students and save himself the hassle of the process. And figure the discipline handed down by Oregon and embarassment is punishment enough. Some could even say if Winston sued that he would come across as petty and vindictive. It is best for him to walk away.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
So, are you saying that if he doesn't sue, that he is admitting guilt? Maybe he old just turn the other cheek and figure he will soon be making more than what he could ever get fom a few college students and save himself the hassle of the process. And figure the discipline handed down by Oregon and embarassment is punishment enough. Some could even say if Winston sued that he would come across as petty and vindictive. It is best for him to walk away.
I'm saying if it bugs him that much, that's how he could handle it. That's all. And that he doesn't have a right to be shielded from such comments just because it can't be proved that he's guilty.

Innocent until proven guilty is for the courts alone.

Not sure why you're putting so much effort into defending this guy. Even if he is innocent of the rape, he's still a pretty dumb kid and almost sure bust.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We will never know.

Unless something similar happens in the future and he's found guilty.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm saying if it bugs him that much, that's how he could handle it. That's all. And that he doesn't have a right to be shielded from such comments just because it can't be proved that he's guilty.

Innocent until proven guilty is for the courts alone.

Not sure why you're putting so much effort into defending this guy. Even if he is innocent of the rape, he's still a pretty dumb kid and almost sure bust.

I am not defending him persay. I worked with young delinquents for several years and got mixed up in a situation where someone was accusing the guys under my charge of doing something wrong. They didn't do it. I was there and I know they didn't do it. However the opinions of some stuck up bitches won out and 9 months of working with the two guys went down the tubes. Why? Because they were wrongfully accused and everyone around accepted it as the truth.

I also had a guy break into my home a year ago. He is finally coming up for trial this month. The State Police have piles of evidence against him yet he still roams the street. We run into him at school events. His girlfriend gives my wife dirty looks. He is very smug. Now I know that he is going to go to State Prison for at least 5 years. I know the guy. He should pay for what he did, but under his circumstances I also feel for him. He was a nice guy and a very hard worker. But he made some mistakes early in his life that will haunt him forever. He is doomed to never have a stable life. Nobody hires felons around here. He was 18 when he made those first mistakes. Now his desperation has him making them again.

I just have a problem with anyone feeling good about any of it. Those kids at Oregon have no idea what they are doing. And they were laughing and smiling. Sure, if Winston is that bad maybe he deserves it. But we don't know that he is. Either way there is no place in reveling in the failures of men. If anything it is just sad.