Opponent Breakdown; Jets Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Opponent-Breakdown-Fitzpatrick-Marshall-and-the-Jets-Offense/73e3904e-95ee-45cc-a071-d90e548f38a4

When it comes to the Jets’ offense, much of this week’s focus — if not this entire year’s focus — has been on the team’s quarterback situation.

After a career year in 2015, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a one-year deal with the Jets on the eve of training camp, immediately re-claiming his status as the team’s starter. Last year, Fitzpatrick completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 3,905 yards with 31 touchdowns to 15 interceptions. His strong performance helped drive New York to a 10-6 record in Todd Bowles’ first year as head coach.

This year, however, has not gone nearly as well. Fitzpatrick has been particularly turnover prone in 2016, tossing a league-high 13 interceptions. He threw six picks against the Chiefs in the Jets’ 24-3 loss in Week 3. He eventually lost his starting job to Geno Smith in Week 7, but Smith suffered a torn ACL in the middle of his Week 7 start against Baltimore.

In the two games since, Fitzpatrick has earned the backing of Bowles, though the quarterback has completed just 53.2 percent of his 62 passes for 421 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Fitzpatrick, however, did suffer an MCL sprain last week against the Dolphins. While Fitzpatrick has been limited in the Jets’ first two days of practice, Los Angeles is still expecting to see him rather than second-year quarterback Bryce Petty behind center on Sunday.

“We don’t know what the status of the quarterbacks are, but we expect to see Ryan,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said early in the week. “And we expect to see him at his best, because this is an important game for them.”

“Right now, we’re still expecting Fitzpatrick to play. He got hurt and came back into the game, and finished out the game,” middle linebacker Alec Ogletree said. “But we’re going to prepare how we prepare every week and get ready to play our style of football.”

That brand includes wanting to force more turnovers. In the Rams’ current four-game skid, the club has only one takeaway — a fumble early in the matchup with the Giants in London.

“I think our biggest thing now is just creating more turnovers, and being able to help our offense out and give them more offensive possessions,” Ogletree said.

If there were ever a favorable matchup for Los Angeles to do just that, it would be this one. The Jets have the most giveaways in the league at 19 — 14 interceptions and five fumbles. They also have the No. 31 turnover differential at -11.

As Ogletree put it, the defense wants to do its part to put the other side of the ball in better position to score.

“If we can do that as a defense, I think that will help us be a much better defense,” Ogletree said.

Perhaps Fitzpatrick’s best offensive weapon is wide receiver Brandon Marshall. The well-traveled wideout, now in his 11th NFL season, has caught 40 passes for 585 yards with just two touchdowns. This after making 109 receptions for 1,502 yards with a league-leading 14 touchdowns last year. It may have to do with the play of Marshall’s quarterback, but he’s caught a career-low 46.5 percent of his targeted passes so far this season.

Still, at 6-foot-4, he can pose significant problems for a defense.

“We’ve played guys his size,” safety Maurice Alexander said. “Our corners, they’re very confident and they compete very well. So, we’re just going to play him as we do every week.”

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Rams smell blood on D......this is their chance.....Rams 27-13.
Then the boad will be happy and we will talk bout our playoff chances ;)

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Nick Mangold, Jets starting Center, has been ruled out for Sunday's game. Looking for Aaron Donald to have a big game. Fitzpatrick will make mistakes when pressured and Rams DL should be able to wreak havoc.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams smell blood on D......this is their chance.....Rams 27-13.
Then the boad will be happy and we will talk bout our playoff chances ;)
This^ is exactly the way I see it, including the 27-13 score!!(y);):D:yess:

ram007

Starter
Don't underestimate Jets in this game. They playing at home and it's a 11 am game after a cross country flight.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Is it a bad thing that I go into every game expecting us to lose?

I can only imagine if I feel this way, how do the players feel?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This can be our yearly blow out game where we all get excited and hope for the playoffs . Jets secondary has been very bad and we should have some Recievers breaking open down the field and as long as keenum can get them the ball I see us winning

ThePhunami

Me so Horny

At least youre not a fair weather fan. Win or lose you hope for the best. I never understand people who say they love their team but curse them during a losing season.

We're going to win this one boys!

fearsomefour

Legend

The players are probably only concerned with what they can try to control....winning their assignments, being in their pregame plan ect.
Different level as a season progresses and gets lost....the top tier guys are probably making vacation plans by end of December....the mid level guys are making offseason training plans at the team facility....to bottom 10 guys are talking to their agents about who might need their services next year....
who knows? At some point I am sure it is just the job you have.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/conservative-game-plan-by-jets-fails-against-rams-111616

Conservative game plan by Jets fails against Rams
By Richard Rodgers/FanSided via The Jet Press/Nov 16, 2016

The New York Jets went into their Week 10 matchup against the Los Angeles Rams with a very conservative game plan. The result of this was far from good as New York lost in what was a completely dismal performance.

For a good portion of the 2016-2017 NFL season to this point, the coaching staff of the New York Jets has been criticized for being way too conservative in games. There have been many in-game situations where the Jets have decided to play it safe instead of taking a shot to try and win the game.

Nothing changed at home against the Rams in week ten as the team continued to play with this conservative approach. Quarterback Bryce Petty was given very few opportunities to really take shots with the football. The team stuck with a game plan consisting of a large amount of rushes, and some short and simple passing plays.

At this point in the season, being conservative just doesn’t make much sense for the Jets because they have almost nothing to lose. Coming into the game at 3-6, it wouldn’t have hurt to have given the offense a chance to make more explosive plays down the field.

While easing Petty into the game wasn’t a bad idea in any way, limiting him throughout the game to such an extent just didn’t make sense. In such a low-pressure situation, the Jets needed to get more of a feel for what they have in their second-year quarterback.

Not only did their game plan keep them from getting a good evaluation on Petty, but it also hurt the offense as a whole. With simple draw plays, handoffs, and short underneath passes being the majority of the offense, they became very predictable as a whole. This allowed the Rams’ defense to have a great day with ease.

This conservative style of play on offense has been something that the Jets have stuck with since the early parts of this season. You have to wonder whether this approach has hurt them as much as any shortcomings from the players have.

Limiting Petty didn’t accomplish anything against the Rams just as being conservative has not accomplished anything for the Jets all season. Going forward, they must take a different approach on offense in order to open things up and get a better evaluation of their quarterbacks.

This article originally appeared on