Opinions on Davis after this game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Wow all the he is what we thought he was and he is a backup talk. I guess the honeymoon is over huh. It's funny how one game really one half makes or break basically a rookie passer. There was a lot wrong with a lot of different areas and the 9ers do have a good defense. We have been screwed by refs and lack of experience in the backend. I know the record is depressing but season isn't over and reinforcements are on the way
I'd like to have the optimism you have, I just don't! The ref's will continue their bs and the team won't be able to overcome that!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
The fact that he took responsibility for the loss after the game (which shouldn't all be on him) makes me like him even more.

I really hope he keeps putting it together. I'd love for him to be able to be the guy for the Rams going forward.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So the guy has nearly identical stats that Bradford had against the 49ers last year and he's not the guy? But Bradford still was? I swear some of you have no choice but to blame the fucking QB. He didn't make very good decisions but I think I remember 4 or 5 times that he had a clean pocket to step up and throw into. Guys, maybe our team just plain sucks. And has always and will always suck. Because we are the Rams and why the fuck not.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Austin Davis is the man. Love the kid. He's got guts and with more experience could be really good for this team

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Unsure about the long term effectiveness. He needs protection. We have high draft choices performing worse so he is not our highest priotity of problems to address

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
So the guy has nearly identical stats that Bradford had against the 49ers last year and he's not the guy? But Bradford still was? I swear some of you have no choice but to blame the freaking QB. He didn't make very good decisions but I think I remember 4 or 5 times that he had a clean pocket to step up and throw into. Guys, maybe our team just plain sucks. And has always and will always suck. Because we are the Rams and why the freak not.
I was ready to run Bradford out of town after the Dallas and SF games last season. The coaches stuck with him, as coaches are wont to do, and he turned it around in a big way before tearing his ACL. I have no question in my mind that Davis will continue to start. I just don't see a lot of good in his play... I see a lot of "scrappy" and playing above his talent level, which we in STL tend to love. That said, I see him as the Rex Hudler/Joe McEwing of QBs.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In the end, all of that doesn't matter. It's all about what he can do on the field. Thus far, the results are mixed...but not bad.

Don't think he's bad at all, just not a franchise guy to build a team around. I think what we see is what we get, and we probably shouldn't expect much more from him. I like his mindset though, looks to extend plays, looks to push the ball downfield, etc.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think you can say he's terrible after one mediocre game. Likewise, I wasn't ready to say he was a good player after a few successful starts.

I'd like to see how his numbers look in another 4 or 5 games before I really start to form an opinion.

ausmurp

Starter
Yup. I couldn't believe Bailey tried to cut *behind* the DB on that missed TD opportunity.
Across the face, dude. Across the face.

Exactly. Bailey makes the right move there and Davis is back to being the future QB for the Rams. Guys his play did not lose us this game. OL and DL lost us this game for the most part. Quick couldn't get open either, which was a huge disappointment. Next week will be hard but after that I expect to see near pro bowl numbers from Davis, and when that happens we'll all be back to saying he is the future and we don't need to draft a QB.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Love his moxie. Love that he gets fired up after good plays. Players seem to respond to his enthusiasm.

Really love the fact that he spreads the ball around. I think at one point last night he hit 8 different receivers.

Don't like the way he gets rattled with the blitz. Although how could you blame him with the way this offensive line is playing.

Don't like the fact that he's late with throws over the middle at times. They usually result in picks.

His arm strength on those throws outside the hashes scares the hell out of me. He really floats them, and I keep waiting for a pick six to happen. In fact, he had one throw last night that was almost an INT. DB broke on it and almost got it.

He rushed some deep throws last night that were way off the mark. Have to believe he was a bit rattled by the pressure.

It's tough to fully evaluate him with the O line playing the way it is.

AZRamsFan93

Davis is our best option right now. I like the kid, but I don't think he has the athletic ability to ever sustain as a top tier QB in this league.

We need to start over next year.

AZRamsFan93

Exactly. Bailey makes the right move there and Davis is back to being the future QB for the Rams. Guys his play did not lose us this game. OL and DL lost us this game for the most part. Quick couldn't get open either, which was a huge disappointment. Next week will be hard but after that I expect to see near pro bowl numbers from Davis, and when that happens we'll all be back to saying he is the future and we don't need to draft a QB.
After next week the Rams play @Chiefs, @49ers, @AZ, home versus Broncos....

You expect Pro Bowl numbers from AD in those games - after what we saw last night?

I don't.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
My opinion hasn't changed much. He had a very good first half, despite the fact that the OL didn't have a good game in either half. Considering he was only making his 4th NFL start, his performance wasn't that bad, and he certainly isn't what lost this game for us.

ausmurp

Starter
After next week the Rams play @Chiefs, @49ers, @AZ, home versus Broncos....

You expect Pro Bowl numbers from AD in those games - after what we saw last night?

I don't.

I don't think the Chiefs and Broncos will give us that much trouble on offense...maybe he will struggle again against the 49ers in SF. Cards don't scare me at all, I've watched every game they've played but they just don't scare me.

RamsesIII

UDFA
IMO, the defense lost the game. Regardless, I saw a quarterback with talent and mechanics problems. I'm sure Davis & the coaches will do their best to improve his play, and hopefully they will be successful. In the meantime, the defense is the main area of concern for me. I did see some impressive things from our rookies, though. Maybe they grow up in a hurry.

AZRamsFan93

I don't think the Chiefs and Broncos will give us that much trouble on offense...maybe he will struggle again against the 49ers in SF. Cards don't scare me at all, I've watched every game they've played but they just don't scare me.
I think that the Chiefs and Broncos pass rushers will be all over Austin Davis.

The Cards are one of the best teams in the NFL. They have - IMHO - the best defensive coordinator in Todd Bowles and one of the best head coaches in Bruce Arians. They scare me.

Athos

Legend
Always find it interesting that there are no complains about Davis when he lights up SF in the 1st half, has a beautifully drawn play to Cookie that he executes with perfection, and that Cookie turns into a huge gainer into should have ended up as a FG or TD but is called back due to corrupt officials....

And boom, things fall apart a bit due to game plan and suddenly people pipe in like RT. Most of the blame seems to fall on Davis' head, or he's making bad decision again, or blah, blah, blah.

JJ got himself burned, Schotty changed the game plan to archaic lunacy and the wise choice of throwing everything 20 yards downfield, no more run game, and suddenly the D, once again, can't hold a lead, and Davis is once again forced into a 1 minute drill to score a TD to tie the game.

Davis isn't Luck. Time to stop pretending he is. But he's not a dumpster diver QB either. Or at least, hasn't played like that. So many times I saw the WRs give up on routes or quit while Davis was trying to extend things in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Is it Davis' fault for not picking up the blitz? Or is it the O-Line, TE's, RBs, coaches, etc, not helping him and taking the pressure off doing everything? He's not fucking Peyton Manning out there who can direct everything like a maestro in an orchestra.

He's made a lot of big plays. And made mistakes. What I've seen from the rest of the team, however, is just a lot of mistakes with not much good.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Davis is fine and this thread is going much the way of many other threads about various QB's the Rams have had. Last night was clearly not a case of the team playing well and Davis making mistakes and holding them back.

See if this sounds familiar: QB was running for his life, getting sacked because of poor protection, receivers were running bad routes and dropping passes and the playcalling was questionable.

Why should Davis excel under those same poor conditions that Bulger, Bradford, et al have struggled?