Only 1 out of 111 NFL players brains didn't show brain damage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When this game inevitably degrades into flag football, I will terminate my fandom of the sport. It's inevitable, and it's a shame. But at this point I watch far more NHL than I do NFL now. My primary sports are NHL, MLB, and the Rams.

I am, however, disgusted at the way the NFL has changed to reviewing everything and the outcome of every game hinging on the refs. It's sickening to me at least, that and the absolutely asinine amount of commercial breaks for the greedy POS owners. I've mentioned before that I don't even listen to Sirius NFL any more due to the sheer amount of advertisements, it's beyond ridiculous compared to other sports channels.

But anyway, once this sport goes full touch football I'm out. Just my .02 cents.

I showed your post to my son and he said he hears it every time we watch a game together.:rant:

bnw

Pro Bowler
It seems as the size of those involved and the speed of the game increases, you risk a higher chance of getting concussed, no? Not many Pop Warner players getting concussions. Same with middle school and with school players. Once you hit the college and professional levels, though, brain trauma in general (not necessarily just concussions) definitely seems more prevalent.
No doubt about it.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Sitting around and doing nothing will eventually kill you

There are Hazards with any endeavor
True but this issue is one of work place safety. Just because they can be paid a lot doesn't absolve the owners from doing what they can to make the work place safer for those working.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda read that as "9 out of 10 people who went to the doctor for a cold were indeed sick."
Yep. selection bias is a problem here...because those predisposed to think the NFL game is dangerous to brains will have their ideas confirmed..while not really considering the total number of NFL players in the last 60 years, nor that mostly concerned former players or family members donated the brains for study. There is no way to get a truly representative sample, unless forcing family members to donate players brains across the board.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Yep. selection bias is a problem here...because those predisposed to think the NFL game is dangerous to brains will have their ideas confirmed..while not really considering the total number of NFL players in the last 60 years, nor that mostly concerned former players or family members donated the brains for study. There is no way to get a truly representative sample, unless forcing family members to donate players brains across the board.

True but that doesn't matter when dealing with work place safety. Work place safety eliminates reasonable risk.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Historically boxing has addressed the issue by having

True but that doesn't matter when dealing with work place safety. Work place safety eliminates reasonable risk.
When will they do something about soccer? Lots of concussions in that sport too, but because soccer mom's exist, that isn't on the radar as much. As I have said, remove helmets from American football, and the problem will fix itself generally. Players won't be leading with their head so emphatically if they think the probablity is great they will hurt themselves

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Agree 100%. Your suggestion could be researched easy enough. Look at the brains of those that played in the days of the leather helmet and those who played rugby.

Rugby is the prime example. You still have gruesome collisions, but players are definitely more protective of themselves in general.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
I think people just need to accept that this is an inherent risk of the game. The NFL should fess up and settle for the past and then make incoming players sign a waiver while clearly spelling out the risks of playing football. If they still choose to play, then it's on them.

No different than smoking cigarettes, we all know that there is an inherent risk of lung cancer for doing so, but we also know that the ultimate responsibility lies with the smokers themselves.

Agree... this is likely the only opportunity for these people (including boxing and UFC) to make this kind of fame, have this much fun and fame. Knowing all this there are still tons of kids putting on their junior high, high school, college and pro helmets. They are making an informed choice and I hope the lawsuits end.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
True but this issue is one of work place safety. Just because they can be paid a lot doesn't absolve the owners from doing what they can to make the work place safer for those working.

Almost every rule change in the last 30 years falls under two categories.

Improve player safety and help the passing game.

It's never going to be "safe" until they strip off the uni's and play in the same gear rugby or soccer players do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/news/boomer-esiason-all-nfl-players-probably-have-cte-w496664

Former Quarterback Boomer Esiason: 'All NFL Players Probably Have CTE'
"If I died tomorrow and my brain was ... researched and it was found that I had CTE, which, most likely I have," former NFL player says
By Sam Blum

boomer-esiason-nfl-football-cte-players-6c8903cf-9162-4035-b97c-c8e4aa8e3cfa.jpg

Eric Canha/AP

Boomer Esiason played 14 seasons in the NFL until 1997. On his WFAN radio show, 'Boomer and Carton,' the former quarterback discussed the recent study about the high incidence of degenerative brain disease among NFL players' brains and said he – and every other player – probably have it.

Esiason was discussing the findings of Boston University School of Medicine and the VA Boston Healthcare System's study that 110 out of 111 former NFL football players who donated their brains to science showed signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), per USA Today.

"If I died tomorrow and my brain basically was taken and researched and I was found to have CTE, which I most likely have … I think all football players probably have it," Esiason said.

In July, Esiason's remarks were echoed by Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who referred to the study when saying it might be his final season playing football. "This shows there's nothing to mess with," he said of the study to the Tribune-Review. "If you want to mess with your brain, you can't put a new one in. You can't have a brain transplant. If you want to mess with your brain, go ahead. I'm not going to."

The NFL maintains its position that more conclusive research is needed about the incidence of CTE among football players. However the league is currently paying out a $1 billion lawsuit to former players and wives of deceased former players. The suit, filed in 2011, said the league didn't warn former players about the dangers of concussions.

Esiason indicated that the studies, lawsuits and awareness will make football better moving forward.

"The more we learn about our brains, the better it is for the guys who are playing today," Esiason said. "The good news for the guys who are playing today, especially those who are playing for a long period of time, is they get paid a hell of a lot more money than we did. They have much better benefits and retirement benefits than we do."

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I would not be surprised if 31st 5% or more of all males that played sports of any kind or rode/rides motorcycles would also show signs of CTE.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wonder who was the 1 player who's brain showed no damage??? Kicker? Punter?

bnw

Pro Bowler
I wonder who was the 1 player who's brain showed no damage??? Kicker? Punter?
According to FOX news today only the kicker position was free of CTE though that 1 out of 111 I do not know.