Only 1 out of 111 NFL players brains didn't show brain damage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Researchers examined the brains of 111 former NFL players. Only one didn’t have CTE.
BY RICK MAESEThe Washington Post
JULY 25, 2017 10:38 AM

Researchers studying the link between football and chronic traumatic encephalopathy found that 99 percent of the brains donated by families of former NFL players showed signs of the neurodegenerative disease, according to a new study published Tuesday.

In all, researchers from Boston University School of Medicine and the VA Boston Healthcare System examined 202 brains that belonged to men who played football at all levels and were later donated for research. They found CTE in 177 of them - 87 percent.

While they found evidence of the disease across all levels of play, the highest percentage was found among those who competed at the highest level; all but one of the 111 brains belonging to ex-NFL players were diagnosed post-mortem with CTE.

“Obviously, this doesn’t represent the prevalence in the general population, but the fact that we’ve been able to gather this high a number of cases in such a short period of time says that this disease is not uncommon,” said neuropathologist Ann McKee, the researcher credited with some of the most high-profile CTE diagnoses. “In fact, I think it’s much more common than we currently realize. And more importantly, this is a problem in football that we need to address and we need to address now in order to bring some hope and optimism to football players.”

McKee cautions that the study has some limitations and doesn’t attempt to pinpoint a CTE rate. The brains studied were mostly donated by concerned families, which means they weren’t random and not necessarily representative of all men who have played football.

“A family is much more likely to donate if they’re concerned about their loved one - if they’re exhibiting symptoms or signs that are concerning them, or if they died accidentally or especially if they committed suicide,” she said. “It skews for accidental deaths, suicide and individuals with disabling or discomforting symptoms.”

While the study isn’t focused on causality, McKee says it provides “overwhelming circumstantial evidence that CTE is linked to football.”

The NFL pledged $100 million for concussion-related research last September - $60 million on technological development, with an emphasis on improving helmets, and $40 million earmarked for medical research - and in a statement a league spokesman expressed appreciation for the latest study.

“The medical and scientific communities will benefit from this publication and the NFL will continue to work with a wide range of experts to improve the health of current and former NFL athletes,” said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy. “As noted by the authors, there are still many unanswered questions relating to the cause, incidence and prevalence of long-term effects of head trauma such as CTE. The NFL is committed to supporting scientific research into CTE and advancing progress in the prevention and treatment of head injuries.”

The study marks the largest CTE case series ever published. The research was drawn from a brain bank established and maintained by the VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston University School of Medicine and the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

The 177 brains found to have CTE belonged to former players who had an average of 15 years of football experience. In addition to the NFL diagnoses, the group included three of 14 who played at the high school level, 48 of 53 who played in college, nine of 14 who competed semiprofessionally and seven of eight who played in the Canadian Football League.

“To me, it’s very concerning that we have college-level players who have severe CTE who did not go on to play professionally,” McKee said. “That means they most likely retired before the age of 25 and we still are seeing in some of those individuals very severe repercussions.”

The researchers distinguished between mild and severe cases of CTE, finding the majority of former college (56 percent), semipro (56 percent) and professional (86 percent) players to have exhibited severe pathology.

The impact of concussions and head trauma meted out on the football field has been an active area of study in recent years. And while much of the research has highlighted the potential long-term dangers posed by football, JAMA Neurology published a study this month that showed not all former players suffer from cognitive impairment.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania looked at Wisconsin men who graduated high school in 1957, comparing those who played football in school and those who didn’t. The men were assessed for depression and cognitive impairment later in life - in their 60s and 70s - and the research found similar outcomes for those who played high school football and those who didn’t.

That study also had its limitations, and the authors noted that the game 60 years ago is different in many ways from the present-day high school football experience, from playing style to equipment to the rule book.

The Boston University study doesn’t necessarily reflect the same era of football. According to the researchers, the vast majority of the brains studied belonged to players who played in the 1960s or later. In addition to examining the brains, researchers interviewed family members and loved ones of the deceased former players and found that behavioral and mood symptoms were common with those who suffered from CTE, including impulsivity, signs of depression, anxiety, hopelessness and violent tendencies.

While the disease can currently only be diagnosed post-mortem, the researchers urge for a wide-ranging longitudinal study to better understand the impact head trauma has on football players across all levels.

In the meantime, the brain bank has about 425 donated brains at its disposal, including those from men and women who played a variety of sports, as well as military veterans, with many more pledged.

“It’s not an inert study,” McKee said. “This is a very large resource that will advance research in many directions. . . . The whole point is to advance and accelerate our knowledge of CTE in order to aid the living people who are at risk for it or who have it.”

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/latest-news/article163489718.html#storylink=cpy

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
New helmet be damned. Physics will not be denied. Workplace safety will demand much more than a new helmet. This game will not in the future resemble the game we now know. GUARANTEED.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think they know it's only a matter of time as every couple years more research will eliminate alot of these variables leaving a definitive conclusion that they just can't get around. In the meantime, they'll announce newer high tech helmets but in 15 years, our teams will be wearing fat sumo wrestling suits, which, of course, ill watch for at least a few games because it'll be hilarious.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The brains studied were mostly donated by concerned families, which means they weren’t random and not necessarily representative of all men who have played football.

I kinda read that as "9 out of 10 people who went to the doctor for a cold were indeed sick."

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think people just need to accept that this is an inherent risk of the game. The NFL should fess up and settle for the past and then make incoming players sign a waiver while clearly spelling out the risks of playing football. If they still choose to play, then it's on them.

No different than smoking cigarettes, we all know that there is an inherent risk of lung cancer for doing so, but we also know that the ultimate responsibility lies with the smokers themselves.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
New helmet be damned. Physics will not be denied. Workplace safety will demand much more than a new helmet. This game will not in the future resemble the game we now know. GUARANTEED.
I Pray I don't live to see this^ Day!! The game has changed too much already. It has always been a tough Brutal Sport and I don't want that to Change!!

Violance.jpg

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I think people just need to accept that this is an inherent risk of the game. The NFL should fess up and settle for the past and then make incoming players sign a waiver while clearly spelling out the risks of playing football. If they still choose to play, then it's on them.

No different than smoking cigarettes, we all know that there is an inherent risk of lung cancer for doing so, but we also know that the ultimate responsibility lies with the smokers themselves.

The reason as to why CTE is more common at the highest level is obvious to me... I mean, we have 350lb lineman running under 5 40's, guys like JJ Watt, Clowney, 200lb cornerbacks and safeties launching themselves... The players have just gotten bigger, stronger and faster. I don't think any perceivable protection can protect the brain from that.

Remove the shell on the helmet and shoulder pads and concussions go down I bet. People will be less reckless with their bodies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The reason as to why CTE is more common at the highest level is obvious to me... I mean, we have 350lb lineman running under 5 40's, guys like JJ Watt, Clowney, 200lb cornerbacks and safeties launching themselves... The players have just gotten bigger, stronger and faster. I don't think any perceivable protection can protect the brain from that.

Remove the shell on the helmet and shoulder pads and concussions go down I bet. People will be less reckless with their bodies.

It's more the cumulative effect though. Guys who played in the NFL also played in college and high school and probably jr. high and pee wee.

They have been hitting and getting hit for 20 plus years in some cases. Literally hundreds and hundreds of hits by the time a player is in their late 20's.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When this game inevitably degrades into flag football, I will terminate my fandom of the sport. It's inevitable, and it's a shame. But at this point I watch far more NHL than I do NFL now. My primary sports are NHL, MLB, and the Rams.

I am, however, disgusted at the way the NFL has changed to reviewing everything and the outcome of every game hinging on the refs. It's sickening to me at least, that and the absolutely asinine amount of commercial breaks for the greedy POS owners. I've mentioned before that I don't even listen to Sirius NFL any more due to the sheer amount of advertisements, it's beyond ridiculous compared to other sports channels.

But anyway, once this sport goes full touch football I'm out. Just my .02 cents.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It's more the cumulative effect though.

It seems as the size of those involved and the speed of the game increases, you risk a higher chance of getting concussed, no? Not many Pop Warner players getting concussions. Same with middle school and with school players. Once you hit the college and professional levels, though, brain trauma in general (not necessarily just concussions) definitely seems more prevalent.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Wonder what the results would be if they tested from a pool of people who never played football at all.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It seems as the size of those involved and the speed of the game increases, you risk a higher chance of getting concussed, no? Not many Pop Warner players getting concussions. Same with middle school and with school players. Once you hit the college and professional levels, though, brain trauma in general (not necessarily just concussions) definitely seems more prevalent.

It's both but the doctors have said it's a cumulative issue and not related to concussions directly. While concussions do effect it what they call sub-concussive impacts/hits seem to be doing the real damage because thee are so many of them.

Wonder what the results would be if they tested from a pool of people who never played football at all.

Holy shit a 'Cake sighting!!!!!

How are you???

fearsomefour

Legend
yeah, probably right.
There were a bunch of kids about 12 years old playing organized flag football at the fields where I exercise the other day. This is in lue of regular tackle football. Has not taken over but is making a dent. They looked terrible by the way. Just running streaks. I feel sorry for these kids if they get to high school and want to play football.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

^^ this this this.

These guys know the risk involved with playing football. Just like a boxer knows the risk when he gets into a ring. The other guy is trying to take your head off. I agree the NFL should take a stand and own up to the past and have their currently players sign waivers (which they might already).

bnw

Pro Bowler
I kinda read that as "9 out of 10 people who went to the doctor for a cold were indeed sick."
True. The sample was no doubt skewed by families believing their loved one had some brain damage.

bnw

Pro Bowler

Agree 100%. Your suggestion could be researched easy enough. Look at the brains of those that played in the days of the leather helmet and those who played rugby.