Ongoing stadium negotiations thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
In order to keep all of the stadium talk threads in one place on the forum, we have decided to form a megathread for all stadium related discussion as for it to be accessible and quick rather than having to look all over the forum for info. I have merged all of threads from the announcement of the arbitrators decision. All of the discussion has been posted in chronological order.

- Lesson

Gh9lwI4.png

c25e2ab0e6a947519699c7c.png

3gLxTCB.png

fD1RuYQ.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Dome, CVC Update

Arbitrators pick Rams plan for Edward Jones Dome

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/blog/2013/02/arbitrators-pick-rams-plan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/blog ... -plan.html</a>

The St. Louis Business Journal has learned that arbitrators have selected the St. Louis Rams' proposal for upgrades to the Edward Jones Dome.

The decision is a major victory for the team, which proposed a plan estimated to cost some $700 million that would see the stadium undergo significant structural changes.
Read the arbitrator's full report below.

The St. Louis Convention and Visitor Commission will now have 30 days to decide whether to accept the decision of the arbitrators and move forward with a plan to fund the upgrade or to reject the decision, which would allow the Rams to break their lease starting in March 2015.

The panel of three arbitrators ruled in favor of the Rams' proposal after determining that the Edward Jones Dome had structural deficiencies that would not make it possible to attain first-tier status without tearing out the concrete seating bowl.

The dimensions and footprint of the Edward Jones Dome were not sufficient to support the oversized cushioned seats and leg room that is standard in recently built NFL stadiums.

If the CVC and its sponsors, the state of Missouri, the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County, decline to fund the $700 million plan, the St. Louis Rams would go on a year-to-year lease starting in March 2015.
It is expected that the CVC will not be able to agree to the plan within 30 days given the large amount of money at stake.

Because of the Hancock Amendment, Missouri’s constitutional amendment that prohibits tax increases without a vote of the people, any plan calling for more investment than the modest, $124 million CVC proposal will likely require a vote. The city and county passed hotel taxes to pay for the Dome and have some wiggle room to divert more money from that tax to the stadium, but nothing approaching the $300 or $400 million that would pay for just half of what the Rams asked for in their proposal.

ARBITRATION'S REPORT (PDF FILE)

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It will all be resolved soon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Lesson said:
It will all be resolved soon.
Maybe. Or, it could end up being a year-to-year thing.

Again, doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I just hope everyone (on both sides of the map) is cognizant of how the other half feels about this situation. LA dudes miss their Rams, STL dudes want 'em to stay.

Transplanted dudes don't really give a shit where they play. We're like Switzerland. :mrgreen:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Ouch! That is not only a name for one of my fabulous sauces :7up: (heh heh - blatant plug - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pigfeathers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pigfeathers.com</a>) but also for the level of the smack down the CVC received in that decision.

Now before anyone accuses me of any LA speak, I still think this ruling will pave the way for a long term residency in St Louis by our Rams. My thought is that they will remain in St Louis but that Chrystler plant location is going to be your top tier location and in the long run, the city of St Louis will be happy for the "loss". Tailgating, new shops, a first class facility, and an owner that is able to pull it off.

IMO - This is good news for St Louis and Ram fans.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Tony Softli

Statement from Rams COO Kevin Demoff "The St. Louis Rams are pleased with the Arbitrators' First-Tier award. The independent decision acknowledges that significant improvements are required to put the Edward Jones Dome on equal standing with most National Football League stadiums and to enhance the fan experience. The Rams are hopeful that the Convention and Visitors' Commission will implement the arbitrators' decision and work toward achieving First-Tier status by the March 1, 2015 measuring date as set forth in the parties' lease."

about a minute ago

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

This ruling doesn't surprise me - at all.

I mean, the Rams lease calls for a first tier facility; which proposal achieved that? The Rams.

We all knew that.

Anyone surprised? Come on.

So it's on to the next stage. Which no doubt will lead to the CVC rejection. Again - anyone surprised that would happen?

No.

It's a process and the Rams knew this. St. Louis knew this.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Stay or move, either way the Rams gets a great stadium which is going to look awesome.

I'm sure they'll work it out and the Dome will get the upgrades needed, but if they don't and they do move, LA will give them a nice home. Staples Center is great, my girlfriend always remarks how beautiful it is compared to when she went to Blues games at Scottrade, I'm sure Farmers field will be the same.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

bluecoconuts said:
Stay or move, either way the Rams gets a great stadium which is going to look awesome.

I'm sure they'll work it out and the Dome will get the upgrades needed, but if they don't and they do move, LA will give them a nice home. Staples Center is great, my girlfriend always remarks how beautiful it is compared to when she went to Blues games at Scottrade, I'm sure Farmers field will be the same.

I used to go to Lakers and Kings games in the GW Forum. I loved that venue but when I got to go to a few Laker games in Staples? Fuhgetaboutit. Very cool.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/02/02012013192743.mp3[/rp3]

Robert Litz - Friday, February 1, 2013 - (Currently Playing)
Senior Vice President and Director of Arbitration of USA&M gets into the Ram's Stadium details with Stully.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=12598&type=s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 598&type=s</a>

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Hope they stay in STL.

LA Rams...it just doesn't feel like a Hollywood team.

That said I'll stay a Rams fan. If LA fans can still be fans when they left, I can do the vice versa.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

It's time and after reviewing the options IMO the older Chrysler Plant in Fenton, MO offers the best site for many reasons. You can surround that venue with hotels, restaurants and a fun park and enhance the fans experience.

Stan is a visionary and this new Retracable Dome Stadium called "Sam's Club Park" and when Sam Bradford is done, it will be the house that Sam built! This will be the biggest attraction to hit St. Louis since the 1904 world's fair and the Arch!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

den-the-coach said:
It's time and after reviewing the options IMO the older Chrysler Plant in Fenton, MO offers the best site for many reasons. You can surround that venue with hotels, restuarants and a fun park and enhance the fans experience.

Stan is a visionary and this new Retracable Dome Stadium called "Sam's Club Park" and when Sam Bradford is done, it will be the house that Sam built! This will be the biggest attraction to hit St. Louis since the 1904 world's fair and the Arch!

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Word is, exploratory steps have taken place.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

St. Louis Rams fans split on fate of the team

[5]2135411049001[/5]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/article/360492/6/Fans-react-to-arbitrators-siding-with-Rams-in-lease-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/article/3604 ... lease-deal</a>

ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - St. Louis sports fans are split when it comes to guessing what will happen next if the Rams terminate their lease with the Edward Jones Dome in 2015.

Eileen Frank thinks the franchise will move to another city.

"I think the Rams will be gone then, I'd like them to stay," she said.

Henry Mittler disagrees, saying, "I think they're going to build a new stadium and go to a year-to-year lease until they get a new stadium built."

The Chief of Staff for the St. Louis City Mayor's Office, Jeff Rainford, says it is highly unlikely the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission will make the $700 million in upgrades required to make the Edward Jones Dome a first-tier facility.

After the ruling by arbitrators Friday, if the CVC does not make these improvements to the stadium the Rams can terminate their lease with the Edward Jones Dome in March of 2015.

If the Rams leave the metro area permanently, Rainford says it will not hurt the downtown economy. He said it could be a fiscal positive because the stadium could be used to book more conventions if the Rams leave.

"Because the Rams are there we can't get any big, large conventions in St. Louis because the Rams schedule comes out one year in advance and most of these conventions are three years in advance," he said.

The ruling about the Rams lease is just one step in a long process. However, Mayor Slay says if keeping the Rams ever means a tax increase, the residents of St. Louis will get their say in the voting booth.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim

Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
<a class="postlink" href="http://m.nbcsports.com/content/rams-win-stadium-arbitration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://m.nbcsports.com/content/rams-win ... rbitration</a>

The mayor’s office calls it only a step in a broader process, but the Rams have now moved one giant leap closer to possibly bounding out of St. Louis.

A panel of three arbitrators have agreed that only the upgrades to the Edward Jones Dome proposed by the Rams will put the stadium among first tier of all NFL stadiums.

The lease agreement signed by the Rams in 1995 guarantees that, by 2015, the stadium will be among the top 25 percent in the league. With the parties unable to agree on a plan for making that happen, arbitration was used to determine whether the Rams’ proposal (which would cost more than $700 million), the Convention and Visitors Commission’s proposal (which would cost $124 million), or some other possibility in between would push the stadium into its proper place.

“We now have clarity,” mayor Francis Slay’s chief of staff Jeff Rainford told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “The Rams will hopefully let everyone know what they really want, and we’ll see what we can do to help.”

They should want that to which they’re entitled — a first-tier stadium. And if St. Louis won’t give them the one the arbitrators say the Rams should have, the Rams will be allowed as of 2014 and every year thereafter to break their lease.

But it doesn’t mean they’ll move to Los Angeles or London or anywhere else. The end result could be a new stadium built in the St. Louis area.

The outcome depends directly on the manner in which the Rams use their leverage. Right now, the Rams have plenty of it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
KD to comment on the Dome News in 10 mins.

[tweet]298102118227783680[/tweet]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Re: KD to comment on the Dome News in 10 mins.

I tuned in but missed Kevin's comments. Can someone please post what he said. Thx.