One week in, Fisher likes what he sees/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
One week in, Fisher likes what he sees
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d0489633-f238-5e6e-9657-abbd69bc9fa6.html

With a week of training camp under their belts and the Lindenwood scrimmage come and gone, the focus shifts and the intensity ratchets up for the Rams this coming week.

“It’s a week already?” said linebacker James Laurinaitis. “You just lose track of days. I don’t even know what day it is anymore.”

Beginning with Friday’s preseason opener in Oakland, the Rams have a game every week — with the exception of their bye in mid-October — for the next 21 weeks. The team departs Thursday for the West Coast and will be gone for a week, following up the Raiders’ exhibition opener with three days of practice in the Los Angeles area — including two days of sessions with the Dallas Cowboys.

So far, so good says coach Jeff Fisher.

“We haven’t played anybody else yet, and I’m not going to put a lot of stake in the first preseason game, but I’m pleased with where we are,” Fisher said.

In particular, Fisher said he was pleased with the decline in practice penalties compared to last year in camp.

“That’s a point of emphasis for us,” Fisher said. “We’re not having the false-start things — the frequency of them that we’ve had over the years. And then, just the discipline things down the field with the contact, and the holding, and the hands to the face. All those things that we emphasize. So that’s encouraging for me.”

Fisher made those comments prior to Friday’s work at Lindenwood, and perhaps he spoke too soon. The Rams brought in some college referees to work the Lindenwood session, and gave them plenty of reason to throw their flags Friday.

There were numerous false starts and offsides penalties, and overall it was a sloppy practice before a crowd estimated at 4,000. There were also lots of dropped passes, many more than have been seen on the practice fields earlier in camp at Rams Park.

After couple of the drops, and what was generally sputtering work by the offense, a “boo” or two could be heard from the fans at Harlen C. Hunter Stadium, home of Lindenwood’s NCAA Division II Lions.

Fisher, in a good mood to begin with Friday after the contract extension for quarterback Nick Foles, gave the Rams an “E” for effort at Lindenwood.

“I just saw a lot of hard work, a lot of focus, a lot of concentration,” he said. “We executed well, protected each other. Didn’t have any physical issues out there. We just practiced hard, and it was a good night.

“It was great to have the fans. It was a really good group of people that were out, and I’d like to think they saw some good things.”

As usual, Foles saw lots of things from the Rams’ defense. Perhaps spurred on by the stadium setting and extra fans, the defense — particularly the pass rush — looked even more menacing than usual.

Obviously, full contact with the quarterback isn’t allowed in practice, but Foles has gotten plenty of work operating with hands in his face, defenders coming at him and the pocket collapsing.

That’s a byproduct not only of the talent on the defensive front, but also the blitzing schemes of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams — schemes which are worked on with, uh, regularity on the practice field.

Foles has no complaints.

“It’s awesome,” he said. “It’s great for a quarterback. It’s great for our offense to go against pressure like that. As a quarterback, your eyes have to really see what’s going on. You have to recognize it.

“It’s a lot of different looks. It’s great for me. It’s great for our young O-line, and great for our receivers for their route-running. We’re helping them out, they’re helping us out, and that’s what you want. We’re sharpening each other up.”

That young O-line Foles referred to saw a lot of defensive tackle Aaron Donald on Friday, usually running by them into the backfield. The NFL’s defensive rookie of the year was a blur, be it stuffing running plays or harassing Foles.

“I’m just trying to do my job, you know,” Donald said, almost with a shrug. “Trying to work together. We’re out there getting each other better.”

The troubles with the defensive front notwithstanding, Fisher likes what he’s seen from the team’s young blockers so far in camp.

“You can look at our right tackle (Rob Havenstein) and right guard (Jamon Brown) right now, and they look like they’ve been here for a while, and that’s good,” Fisher said. “That’s good to have that feeling inside that you have confidence in both Rob and JB that they can line up and play. And it shows with the pads on.”

With the exception of cornerback E.J. Gaines, who may have a plantar fascia (foot) issue, the Rams are in good shape injury-wise so far. They’re a little light at the moment at corner because Brandon McGee is sidelined again with a foot injury that plagued him during the OTAs in June. But it could be a lot worse.

Foles is getting the playbook down as the Rams go through their second installation of the offense; the first came during OTAs. And to anyone watching the Lindenwood practice, it is clear that Foles is quickly developing a rapport with tight end Jared Cook. He looks his way often.

“He’s making me look good out there with the catches that he’s making,” Foles said. “He has a great feel when he’s running routes. He’s got a big catch radius. He’s a guy that we’re gonna have to get the ball to, but we’re gonna spread the ball around.

“We have a lot of playmakers on offense, and the guys are doing a really great job. We’re still getting comfortable. We’re still bonding, so that’s what camp’s about.”

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Our 1st game is against that Sea defense so they need to get the playbook down and be ready. Our defense should come out in mid season form with all the starters returning and playing in the same system.This team might be young but we have alot talented players entering their prime.The summer of 2015 is when I'll remember that this team finally turned that corner and started dominating the league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The summer of 2015 is when I'll remember that this team finally turned that corner and started dominating the league.

(y)

It sure feels like things have come together.

RamzFanz

Damnit
(y)

It sure feels like things have come together.

It really does in a lot of ways. This is a season with far fewer question marks and a LOT to be impressed with. I'm personally loving what I see in the D line (of course), Quick, Bailey, Cook, Britt, Jenkins, Mannion, Mason, and the O line rookies. Foles right now is a wait and see for me but I could write a whole page on the good things I've seen too. Keenum is looking better too.

You can already feel the shift in attitude from commentators and other teams' fans.

I'm craving a preseason game to see our QBs.

Last edited:

iced

wish i shared your guys' optimism

really worried about the offense

RamzFanz

Damnit

I'm not too worried. The biggest questions are the center and will Foles settle in. Plenty of time for that to happen. Personally, I have no other worries about the O at all.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am trolling some online Seahawk friends pretty hard, so Fish & Co better save my @ss! ;)

Seriously, if we can smash Seattle in the mouth, it might resonate throughout bthe season. Russell Wilson needs to be running for his life, but not escape. We need to run the ball effectively, and just gut stomp them. We can do this.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Well, I for one agree with you. I know many are expressing optimism for a great beginning and that's perfectly understandable. At the same time, I find it hard to imagine that this offense will execute at a high level initially. I believe that there's just too many moving parts to expect precision and sound execution without more reps (time) and real game experience. I'm hopeful that by mid season they will be in rhythm and playing relatively error free (within reason).

I hope I'm wrong, but at this moment, I'm pessimistic that they can get the fast start anticipated. The first 5 games will certainly let us know just what this group is made of. If they can keep every game competitive and come out at 2-3, I'll be encouraged.....of course, there's always the 99 thingy. ;)

Of course, anything can happen between now and then.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm feeling good about the o-line...Which was my biggest concern of this season...Esp. the work of Brown & Havenstein...sounds like a law firm....

RamzFanz

Damnit
At the same time, I find it hard to imagine that this offense will execute at a high level initially. I believe that there's just too many moving parts to expect precision and sound execution without more reps (time) and real game experience. I'm hopeful that by mid season they will be in rhythm and playing relatively error free (within reason).

That's certainly a fair concern. I hope it happens faster and that the beginning of the season is saved by the defense if there's trouble.

When you think about it though, it's possible they are just fine or good enough early on. I only say that because Foles is an upgrade, the rest of the O are game tested vets familiar with the system except the right side of the o-line. But they look good with the exception of the wait and see on the choice of center.

It's certainly not a given, and I'm on the fence about Foles so far, but I think the O is coming along. The skill players are all playing good and several are playing really good. The penalties have to stop though.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
That's certainly a fair concern. I hope it happens faster and that the beginning of the season is saved by the defense if there's trouble.

When you think about it though, it's possible they are just fine or good enough early on. I only say that because Foles is an upgrade, the rest of the O are game tested vets familiar with the system except the right side of the o-line. But they look good with the exception of the wait and see on the choice of center.

It's certainly not a given, and I'm on the fence about Foles so far, but I think the O is coming along. The skill players are all playing good and several are playing really good. The penalties have to stop though.

Certainly excellent defensive play can make a difference, especially early on. My pessimism stems primarily from the strength of schedule involving 3 playoff teams and Arizona on the road doesn't exactly leave me with confidence....but we will see, anythings possible.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Certainly excellent defensive play can make a difference, especially early on. My pessimism stems primarily from the strength of schedule involving 3 playoff teams and Arizona on the road doesn't exactly leave me with confidence....but we will see, anythings possible.

Yeah, tough games. True that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp. I want to see the OLine and Foles gel in some pre season action before I change my mind. I see too many Rams fans who threw in the towel after the draft because they would have done it differently. I like the direction Fisher/Snead have taken our team but I've hyped myself up too often before seeing it on the field, hence the caution.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll let you know how I feel on September 12th.

Waaaaay to much to evaluate before then.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It really does seem like we start out with a tough schedule early on every year. I totally agree with you, that's really the biggest concern I have overall.