One Thing Kurt Said that Stretched the Truth...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I was 8, I had just moved to SoCal and I definitely remember watching that 1976 Rams team. I also knew other guys from around the league. As kids, we liked to play football more than watch it, so I didn't really know everyone until I I got a massive present, a box each of football and baseball cards and those cases that had slots for every team (still have them).

I was more into baseball and by then I knew every starting lineup for every major league team and most of the pitchers including relievers.

Still, for those who discover something they really love early enough, those memories will stick.

And as Fatbot mentioned, sports was different then and often we relied on word of mouth about who was great. I mean in many markets, a year would go by and you'd probably see less than half the league play, even on the "national" games. Most of us only got glimpses on the sports highlight segment after the 11 o'clock news or during Monday Night Football at halftime (Howard Cosell was the best at that).

So, unless evidence to the contrary is presented, I totally believe Kurt.

Plus, it's Kurt, so... 'course I'm gonna believe him!

Why are you guys getting so defensive about this?

I had no problem that he made the speech in the way he did, but you yourself said that you remembered at 8 years old the 1976 Rams team. I said that Kurt himself would be aware at around 8 years old, which is actually events from 1979 and later. There is nothing wrong with being a fan of historical figures..I am a fan of the Fearsome Foursome....I remember Merlin Olsen first hand, but not so much Lamar Lundy, Roosevelt Grier, and Deacon Jones. It feels like I watched them with memory and understanding, but that was more due to NFL films than actual memory, because I was too young and probably not helped that my Dad was just a casual fan.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey! Kurt Warner has a great life!

They just inducted him into the NFL Hall of Fame for crying out loud.
I think dear old Dan was directing that at me, Soul Surfer...Just in a very passive-aggressive way.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Earl Morral was the Colts QB that day.
When did Unitas go in?
You are right. I guess I was talking that season. I liked Earl too. They were rocking the flat tops back then.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I knew that. You just have to be specific in these things.

Leave no room for error. : )

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are right. I guess I was talking that season. I liked Earl too. They were rocking the flat tops back then.
I "remember" from NFL Films that Morrel did one helluva job that year, and seemed to earn the right to finish the season and playoffs over Unitas...But Johnny Unitas was the star, so...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think dear old Dan was directing that at me, Soul Surfer...Just in a very passive-aggressive way.
I knew that. You just have to be specific or some dumbass like myself will misunderstand what you're saying.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Poor Kurt has to stretch the truth every time his wife asks him, "How does my hair look honey?"

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I sure as heck remember Johnny Unitas. Many Rams fans do not realize that the Baltimore Colts and 'ol bow legs was our greatest rivalry outside of that stench of a team that shall not be named from the northern bay area.

It was Roman Gabriel vs. Johnny U.......Deacon Jones vs. Bubba Smith......Maxie Baughan vs. John Mackey....Tom Matte vs. Merlin Olsen......Ken Iman/Tom Mack/Joe Carollo vs/ Mike Curtis........George Allen vs. Don Shula.
Heh.....those games were so intense that it came into my family room through the black and white TV set. You just knew that every play was significant and one mistake could make all the difference. Points were hard to come by with that loaded Colt defense and our own Fearsome Foursome.

It was, gentlemen, football at its finest.

And very soon we are going to get back to playing games with that intensity....that significance. I believe that we will see that this year.

~ArkyRamsFan~

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Yeah, i loved the speech...But one set of statements kind of stuck with me, and now I know why

Kurt Warner, born in Burlington, Iowa on June 21, 1971.
Johnny Unitas retired after the 1973 season
Joe Namath retired after the 1976 season (w/ the Rams)
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl X in 1976
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII in 1979
NFL films.....

Anyway, stories get compressed and details get omitted so a story flows....Still a great speech.
Yes, I noticed the same....a lot of 'voice' inflections and manipulation

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I "remember" from NFL Films that Morrel did one helluva job that year, and seemed to earn the right to finish the season and playoffs over Unitas...But Johnny Unitas was the star, so...

Let's not forget his 72 season with the Dolphins. :cheers:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yeah, i loved the speech...But one set of statements kind of stuck with me, and now I know why

Kurt Warner, born in Burlington, Iowa on June 21, 1971.
Johnny Unitas retired after the 1973 season
Joe Namath retired after the 1976 season (w/ the Rams)
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl X in 1976
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII in 1979

Kurt was talking about the "jersey" he'd wear outside, imitating the exploits of the greatest QB's in the game. The way I heard it was that it was after a game seen on Sunday. He said that he put their names on his back, most of the great ones from the 70's...Staubach, Stabler, Johnny U., and Broadway Joe. He said also that one QB's name that he never put on his back was Steeler's QB Terry Bradshaw, because of the two Super Bowl losses by the Cowboys to them.

I can't believe that he remembers seeing any of the above before about 1978. He only ever saw games by Johnny U. and Broadway Joe (when they were great) on NFL films. Stabler's greatest year was in 1977 in winning the Super Bowl with the Raiders, maybe Kurt remembers it? I don't believe he remembers Super Bowl X in 1976, unless on NFL films.....

Anyway, stories get compressed and details get omitted so a story flows....Still a great speech.

In that article I don't read the Kurt said he "remembered" the two loses. Just that he was butt hurt because the Cowboys lost them.

Funny Kurt was a big Cowboys fan and Troy Aickman was a big Rams fan.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In that article I don't read the Kurt said he "remembered" the two loses. Just that he was butt hurt because the Cowboys lost them.

Funny Kurt was a big Cowboys fan and Troy Aickman was a big Rams fan.
I was going off the HOF speech...but yeah, Kurt the Cowboy and Troy the Ram..lol

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
"a lot of 'voice' inflections and manipulation" Not quite sure what this means?
If you listen to Kurt he spoke with great measure and alot of emphasis---like when you teach a 9-12 year old something new. Or, like an Actor. If I 'read' what Kurt said, I may have like his speech. BUt, it only seemed real when talking about his mom/T Green and a few other things in the 36 minutes I heard.

I guess some actors 'over act', right? Kurt was 'over' emphasizing...as if everything he said was so important,and so amazing....it wasn't. Everyone has a story who made it in sports.

Love Kurt; but 'hearing' him sound like a fake and trained public speaker was a bummer--if I read the transcript, I would have had happier thoughts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IDK @LoyalRam I seem to remember quite a bit from my youth and have amazed family members with that ability over the years. I still remember Rams vs. Giants game in December of 1970 George Allen's last regular season game as Head Coach of the Los Angeles Rams and I was four.

Have a great recollection of the 73 Rams and I was only 7 and Hank Aaron's 715th Home Run April of 1974 against Al Downing and the Dodgers (that's why I remember) and till this day can tell you every Dodger that was on the field when Aaron hit it. So some do have the ability to store those memories, however, as my wife says ask me if I have watched a certain movie before and I couldn't tell you.

Last edited:

bnw

Pro Bowler
If you listen to Kurt he spoke with great measure and alot of emphasis---like when you teach a 9-12 year old something new. Or, like an Actor. If I 'read' what Kurt said, I may have like his speech. BUt, it only seemed real when talking about his mom/T Green and a few other things in the 36 minutes I heard.

I guess some actors 'over act', right? Kurt was 'over' emphasizing...as if everything he said was so important,and so amazing....it wasn't. Everyone has a story who made it in sports.

Love Kurt; but 'hearing' him sound like a fake and trained public speaker was a bummer--if I read the transcript, I would have had happier thoughts.
I get what you're saying. I was a bit put off by his trying to get a laugh at times which for the most part fell flat. He had the teleprompters but probably wasn't comfortable with them since his work in the media has always been commentary.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK @LoyalRam I seem to remember quite a bit from my youth and have amazed family members with that ability over the years. I still remember Rams vs. Giants game in December of 1970 George Allen's last regular season game as Head Coach and I was four.

Have a great recollection of the 73 Rams and I was only 7 and Hank Aaron's 715th Home Run April of 1974 against Al Downing and the Dodgers (that's why I remember) and till this day can tell you every Dodger that was on the field when Aaron hit it. So some do have the ability to store those memories, however, as my wife says ask me if I have watched a certain movie before and I couldn't tell you.
Oh I have other memories from around 4-5 years old, but few about sports. I do remember watching the 71-72 Lakers during that magic season and those early Dodger teams I remember this throw by Ferguson in the 1974 World Series

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RekGF1J1OKA

In football, the game seemed more difficult to follow somehow....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Johnny U did go in after Earl wasn't getting the job done. He guided the Colts to their only TD in a 16-7 loss.

And Shula did not make that mistake again in 72 after Earl Morrall had taken over and guided the Dolphins with Bob Griese injured to a 14-0 record, Shula opted for Griese in the Super Bowl with the Dolphins defeating George Allen and his over the hill gang Redskins 14-7.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
O and those early Dodger teams I remember this throw by Ferguson in the 1974 World Series

Yeah, I remember that World Series, Dodgers could not hit their way out of a paper bag. 4 games to 1 to the Amazing's back then.