One Thing Kurt Said that Stretched the Truth...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, i loved the speech...But one set of statements kind of stuck with me, and now I know why

Kurt Warner, born in Burlington, Iowa on June 21, 1971.
Johnny Unitas retired after the 1973 season
Joe Namath retired after the 1976 season (w/ the Rams)
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl X in 1976
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII in 1979

Kurt was talking about the "jersey" he'd wear outside, imitating the exploits of the greatest QB's in the game. The way I heard it was that it was after a game seen on Sunday. He said that he put their names on his back, most of the great ones from the 70's...Staubach, Stabler, Johnny U., and Broadway Joe. He said also that one QB's name that he never put on his back was Steeler's QB Terry Bradshaw, because of the two Super Bowl losses by the Cowboys to them.

I can't believe that he remembers seeing any of the above before about 1978. He only ever saw games by Johnny U. and Broadway Joe (when they were great) on NFL films. Stabler's greatest year was in 1977 in winning the Super Bowl with the Raiders, maybe Kurt remembers it? I don't believe he remembers Super Bowl X in 1976, unless on NFL films.....

Anyway, stories get compressed and details get omitted so a story flows....Still a great speech.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm 7 years older than Kurt and I can't for sure say that I remember seeing/knowing Johnny Unitas' play on Sunday. I was young so I used to get confused with the horseshoe helmet of the Colts and the Cowboys...Don't know why..I DO remember throwing battles on thanksgiving Day between Griese and Namath....Of course I remember the Rams, but when I was very young, I got confused with the bolts and the horns! (late 60's). I really started getting aware of who was who, in about 1972 (8 years old)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm 7 years older than Kurt and I can't for sure say that I remember seeing/knowing Johnny Unitas' play on Sunday. I was young so I used to get confused with the horseshoe helmet of the Colts and the Cowboys...Don't know why..I DO remember throwing battles on thanksgiving Day between Griese and Namath....Of course I remember the Rams, but when I was very young, I got confused with the bolts and the horns! (late 60's). I really started getting aware of who was who, in about 1972 (8 years old)
I hear ya. I remember Unitas playing in SBIII. I was kinda a Colts fan then but that's right around the moment I became a Rams fan.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other team's helmet that would screw with my brain when young, was the redskins helmet...I remember seeing that spear head like symbol sometimes and then the Indian-head picture. Sometimes I thought I was watching like the Florida Seminoles vs the Eagles game...lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of the great writers practice this^^! ..
* Mark Twain
* Me!
* Homer:homercrawl:
Sorry, my college edumacation cursed me with critical thinking skilz!

bnw

Pro Bowler
Yeah, i loved the speech...But one set of statements kind of stuck with me, and now I know why

Kurt Warner, born in Burlington, Iowa on June 21, 1971.
Johnny Unitas retired after the 1973 season
Joe Namath retired after the 1976 season (w/ the Rams)
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl X in 1976
Steelers vs Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII in 1979

Kurt was talking about the "jersey" he'd wear outside, imitating the exploits of the greatest QB's in the game. The way I heard it was that it was after a game seen on Sunday. He said that he put their names on his back, most of the great ones from the 70's...Staubach, Stabler, Johnny U., and Broadway Joe. He said also that one QB's name that he never put on his back was Steeler's QB Terry Bradshaw, because of the two Super Bowl losses by the Cowboys to them.

I can't believe that he remembers seeing any of the above before about 1978. He only ever saw games by Johnny U. and Broadway Joe (when they were great) on NFL films. Stabler's greatest year was in 1977 in winning the Super Bowl with the Raiders, maybe Kurt remembers it? I don't believe he remembers Super Bowl X in 1976, unless on NFL films.....

Anyway, stories get compressed and details get omitted so a story flows....Still a great speech.
KW doesn't lie! Everyone knows it takes 6 years for broadcast TV on the coasts to reach Iowa.:rant:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sorry, my college edumacation cursed me with critical thinking skilz!
You must have gone to College back East! I went to College in California where we are .. Free Thinkers ... more Liberal with our interpretation of facts placed before us!! Plus I did a lot of ..

Smokin'.jpg
and ...

Story teller.jpg

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
KW doesn't lie! Everyone knows it takes 6 years for broadcast TV on the coasts to reach Iowa.:rant:
My television is just finished broadcasting week 4 of the 2011 NFL preseason. Rams went 4-0!!! Can't wait for the season opener against the Eagles. I have a feeling this is our year. *No spoilers please!*

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I can't believe that he remembers seeing any of the above before about 1978...
Heh funny it prompted a post, as I don't really think every line from a HoF speech is intended to pass today's rigorous "fake news fact check" standards... I was born around the same time as Kurt so can relate to his experience pretty much doing the exact same thing as a kid. Hard to explain the '70s in football fandom without waxing nostalgic. There just wasn't 24/7 media access to your team & players, so kids actually could have sports heroes that were larger than life, and in many ways guys like Staubach actually were. You didn't have to see Namath that given Sunday to have heard of his legend and slap his name on your jersey. There was a huge divide between the '70s and when so much changed about the game and being a fan starting in the 1980s. In short, I'll give him a pass instead of a pinocchio.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm 7 years older than Kurt and I can't for sure say that I remember seeing/knowing Johnny Unitas' play on Sunday. (8 years old)

So hey @LoyalRam, does that mean Goff's whole ordeal with Joe Montana is stretching the truth as well? Just teasing you Loyal ;)

April 9, 2014 Cal QB Jared Goff: I Wear 16 for Joe Montana

A man tried sneaking into a Cal football practice last year until a member of the athletic program stopped him in his tracks.

“‘Can I help you?’” the official recalled asking the man. “His back was turned to me.” And then Joe Montana turned around. The San Francisco 49ers Hall of Famer was in Berkeley to visit a family friend on the squad, but he hasn’t yet met the Golden Bears starting quarterback.

So tell us why you wear No. 16 in honor of the 49ers No. 16?
When I was little, for my fourth or fifth birthday, my dad got me a Joe Montana jersey. I didn’t know who Joe was, but when I started playing football we had our number choices and 16 was available. That’s when I was 7 years old. The next year, I wore 16 again. I’ve worn it my whole life.

But you wore No. 9 for spring practices last season – why?
We had a player on the roster that was wearing 16, but he transferred a few months later. So when he transferred, I jumped on it.

Now that you’re older, do you still look up to Montana?
I’ve got some signed memorabilia from him in my room, and I see clips from back of the day. I like to watch guys that are good at the position and take stuff from their game. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, all those guys as well as Joe Montana.

What about Montana’s game do you try to incorporate into your own?
He was deadly accurate, and I try to be. Another thing was his presence on the field. I try to emulate that, too.

Have you met him?

He came to a couple practices last year, but I’ve never met him. If I could ask him anything, I’d ask him to tell me stories or offer some little tips on playing the position. It’d be more cool just to be in his vicinity.
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2...-Montana/61366d74-fc83-4ff0-9bc8-7beb4fb8b1a4

TJgrXuFAyTVEVC17wKltrFBdvDYFEDQnEo6NTWZDqoJKuyaV4j3ty0P0-X2fjlSdmyHW3_7xcmIZHxOeSEeFYdFJU0i_ZEZE1zt5rEIhuTXsWsdUfURd8IjOgkqXkgRY4SUKAC4uEN9NXHcUW5YGgUCHa-R4TM0e4av4s7H7RWd82PwMfeU=w530-h270-p

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heh funny it prompted a post, as I don't really think every line from a HoF speech is intended to pass today's rigorous "fake news fact check" standards... I was born around the same time as Kurt so can relate to his experience pretty much doing the exact same thing as a kid. Hard to explain the '70s in football fandom without waxing nostalgic. There just wasn't 24/7 media access to your team & players, so kids actually could have sports heroes that were larger than life, and in many ways guys like Staubach actually were. You didn't have to see Namath that given Sunday to have heard of his legend and slap his name on your jersey. There was a huge divide between the '70s and when so much changed about the game and being a fan starting in the 1980s. In short, I'll give him a pass instead of a pinocchio.

For one, I said that he stretched the truth, I did not call him a lying pinnocchio. Two, I said that he omitted information/compressed memories so his story would flow better.

What, I don't remember that period being 7 years older? You are preaching to choir about the lack of 24/7 access, but he did in fact leave the impression that he watched his 70's hero's in games and then pasted their names on his jersey, imitating their play in the yard. Did I question that he might have had "larger than life" hero's? You mentioned Namath, and I said that Kurt could not have watched him play on a Sunday AND paste his name on his back playing football in the yard. Namath was a sore knee back up in 1976 and a sad shadow of himself on the Rams. Even then, I doubt Kurt Warner could have taped/pasted Namaths name one his jersey at 5 years old when he may not have been able to spell. he certainly never watched Unitas, unless it was a historical tape.

I posted the original post in good natured way...don't act like I called Kurt Warner a liar.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When I was 8, I had just moved to SoCal and I definitely remember watching that 1976 Rams team. I also knew other guys from around the league. As kids, we liked to play football more than watch it, so I didn't really know everyone until I I got a massive present, a box each of football and baseball cards and those cases that had slots for every team (still have them).

I was more into baseball and by then I knew every starting lineup for every major league team and most of the pitchers including relievers.

Still, for those who discover something they really love early enough, those memories will stick.

And as Fatbot mentioned, sports was different then and often we relied on word of mouth about who was great. I mean in many markets, a year would go by and you'd probably see less than half the league play, even on the "national" games. Most of us only got glimpses on the sports highlight segment after the 11 o'clock news or during Monday Night Football at halftime (Howard Cosell was the best at that).

So, unless evidence to the contrary is presented, I totally believe Kurt.

Plus, it's Kurt, so... 'course I'm gonna believe him!