One Starter Every NFL Team Must Replace in 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Los Angeles Rams: ER/OLB Matt Longacre
By MauMoton/December 14,
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809575-one-starter-every-nfl-team-must-replace-in-2019#slide7

1. e42668131ec5e3dfd21cf2be9c27edd3_crop_exact.jpg

The Rams have pivoted from linebacker Matt Longacre to midseason acquisition Dante Fowler Jr., who joined the team via trade with the Jaguars.

In five games with the Rams, Fowler has two sacks; he's also started the last two outings as a pass-rusher off the edge. In a short time span, the 24-year-old has racked up more sacks than Longacre, who doesn't have a tally in the category. Both linebackers can test the free-agent market in March.

The Rams are more likely to re-sign and start Fowler because of his perceived upside as a 2015 first-round pick, immediate impact and the draft capital used to acquire him. General manager Les Snead sent a 2019 third-round pick and 2020 fifth-rounder to Jacksonville for the talented pass-rusher with 16 career sacks—half of them coming in the 2017 term.

Longacre's 5.5 sacks in 2017 seem like the distant past, and he doesn't offer much as a run defender. He's also three years older than Fowler—another reason why Snead will probably allow the fourth-year linebacker to walk in free agency.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Def need to replace Barron. Longacre was never the same after his back injury. Those injuries are career killers for DE's.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
, Matt Longacre's last tackle this season was made during the Seattle gm. He has not started since wk #10. He was inactive last week. ML also took a pay cut from his $1.6 million cap price early this season to assist with the Aaron Donald contract.

ML will be a UFA the first of March. JL appears to be better suited to play LDE in a 43 Defense. I feel that JL is a good low cost 43 DE back up in the NFL, thus he will not return to this 34 D team in 2019. HC Williams/Browns as sure to be interested in JL next season

I would expect Wade to go with starters Dante Fowler & Samson Ebukam with rookies Trevon Young & Justin Lawler in reserve. I would project that JL might even be released very soon as Snead scout teams attempt to locate a good fit DB to replace the IR'd DB Hatfield.

I would not be overly surprised in the future that if we see our current starting high safety Joyner being assigned some nickel & dime corner assignments if Snead can not find a corner they like. They might find it easier to find a better talented high safety than CB. I think the Eagles has been scrapping the NFL's PS all season for DB's (16 at last count), with JJ III & Christian in the safety assignments.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Def need to replace Barron. Longacre was never the same after his back injury. Those injuries are career killers for DE's.

I recall my discussion with Courtney Brown. Years of Pressure from pushing with his hands out in front of him eventually inverted his upper spine. He had several corrective procedures that included wearing a brace.

It’s easy to overlook just how tough football is on these big guys.

fearsomefour

Legend
, Matt Longacre's last tackle this season was made during the Seattle gm. He has not started since wk #10. He was inactive last week. ML also took a pay cut from his $1.6 million cap price early this season to assist with the Aaron Donald contract.

ML will be a UFA the first of March. JL appears to be better suited to play LDE in a 43 Defense. I feel that JL is a good low cost 43 DE back up in the NFL, thus he will not return to this 34 D team in 2019. HC Williams/Browns as sure to be interested in JL next season

I would expect Wade to go with starters Dante Fowler & Samson Ebukam with rookies Trevon Young & Justin Lawler in reserve. I would project that JL might even be released very soon as Snead scout teams attempt to locate a good fit DB to replace the IR'd DB Hatfield.

I would not be overly surprised in the future that if we see our current starting high safety Joyner being assigned some nickel & dime corner assignments if Snead can not find a corner they like. They might find it easier to find a better talented high safety than CB. I think the Eagles has been scrapping the NFL's PS all season for DB's (16 at last count), with JJ III & Christian in the safety assignments.
I would think the Rams would be in the market for an OLB opposite Fowler this off season.
The depth is unproven and Samson is largely invisible....the KC game being a massive exception.
OLB, ILB, DL, S, CB.....a lot of needs on D this offseason.

H.Birdman

UDFA
Name
Harvey
The critical question for Rams is whether Noteboom can replace Whitworth, who is beginning to be a problem. AW increasingly allowing pressure on Goff, who IS the franchise. Protecting Goff is Priority One. Opening holes for Gurley is Priority Two.

I'd rather LA spend every pick on OL and make Wade's replacement (yeah, I said it) coach up some undrafted free agents or untested bench warmers.

Because who cares about OLB if your QB is getting pancaked?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Saffold is the guy for the Rams. He will depart in FA and is a high end player the Rams have to replace. Failing to do that means a big dropoff.

But yes you can go down the list of other positions where we need better players. OL is actually in pretty damn good shape compared to the defense.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The critical question for Rams is whether Noteboom can replace Whitworth, who is beginning to be a problem. AW increasingly allowing pressure on Goff, who IS the franchise. Protecting Goff is Priority One. Opening holes for Gurley is Priority Two.

I'd rather LA spend every pick on OL and make Wade's replacement (yeah, I said it) coach up some undrafted free agents or untested bench warmers.

Because who cares about OLB if your QB is getting pancaked?
Who do you think McVay brings in to coach the defense once Wade leaves?

H.Birdman

UDFA
Name
Harvey
Who do you think McVay brings in to coach the defense once Wade leaves?
No idea. I want the defensive version of McVay - a brilliant young innovator. I trust McVay to find him.

But I don't think LA can bring Wade back after this season. So much invested in defense, but most games AD is the only one making any plays. Our D gets out coached and outplayed.

I hope we kick Wade upstairs. I love the guy. He should get a cool title and get to advise McVay and the DC and be a kinda figurehead who helps with recruiting.

dang

Legend
Its possible Longacre needs a little more time to get back to form but it certainly looks like the game has passed him by. Focusing on defense - a run stuffing NT and stud ILB are badly needed. Perhaps moving Brockers back to NT might help. I hate to continue offing defensive starters (6 new starters in 2018) but Suh, Joyner and Barron are likely casualties.