One has to ask the question.... Westbrooks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's been demonstrated that Sam can play, and that he's not a distraction, teams would be less likely to be afraid to pick him up, especially since they don't lose a pick over it. It's pretty likely either of these guys would get picked up if they are waived.

FRO

Legend
Here is my theory. Michael Sam had a draft able grade. The Rams really liked him. I feel the Rams may have had Westbrooks higher. Fisher did not want the NFL to look bad. He knew the media blow back would be harsh, and since they liked Sam and had a draft able grade on him, they picked him.

Sam hasn't disappointed, Westbrooks is just better. I think we keep both.

Alan

Legend
RFIP with the wrong question:
Just why did the Rams draft Michael Sam and NOT Westbrooks?

I would LOVE to hear the "real" answer to that one though we know we'll never get it.

I mean they offer Westbrooks a LOT of $$ as far as UDFA's go, and he certainly looks the part.

So WHY didn't they draft him instead of Sam?
Your whole premise makes no senses to me. Why does one have to ask the question? Because Sam is gay? Because we might have lucked into a good player in Westbrooks?

Sam was the SEC Co-defensive player of the year and Westbrooks was a player that nobody in the league wanted to draft. That's a tough decision to make isn't it? :LOL::ROFLMAO: More importantly and more to your point, why did the Rams draft Van Dyk, Rhaney and Bryant instead of Westbrooks? Do you really think the Rams would have had to ante up a "LOT of $$" to sign any of those guys as UDFAs?

Sorry RFIP, but your question begs a different question, why did you pick Sam instead of one of the other players I mentioned? Because he also plays on the D-line? When you're that low in the draft you draft BPA don't you?

Not only is hindsight 20/20, but the Rams decision to draft Sam seems to have been a very good one as he has an good chance to make the final 53.. Can you say the same about any of the other 3 players I mentioned? Why did the Rams draft Rhaney instead of Bonds?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Here's to hoping that they both get significant snaps against the Browns #1's this week to gauge just how far they have come. It's not what you do it's who you do it against.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Maybe the topic itself isn't ridiculous, but the implications behind the topic are. Michael Sam was a great college player, nobody had even heard of Westbrooks before the draft.

And then there's the basis that the Rams somehow knew exactly how good both players were going to be yet still drafted Sam over Westbrooks anyway. It's pretty funny how that gives the Rams FO way too much credit and yet no credit at all, all at the same time.
Still not ridiculous , nor anyones prevue to characterize it that way, I respect all these opinions,though they some are less likely than my never to be humble opinion I won't disparage them

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
there's always just the real possibility that Westrbrooks has simply surprised a lot of the Rams staff. idk I'm not the one out there scouting but surprise players come out of everywhere.

Not a surprise when you sign an UDFA to one of the biggest deals AND guarantee a part of it.

No they NEW what they had.

My question remains.

RFIP

Your whole premise makes no senses to me. Why does one have to ask the question? Because Sam is gay? Because we might have lucked into a good player in Westbrooks?

Sam was the SEC Co-defensive player of the year and Westbrooks was a player that nobody in the league wanted to draft. That's a tough decision to make isn't it? :LOL::ROFLMAO: More importantly and more to your point, why did the Rams draft Van Dyk, Rhaney and Bryant instead of Westbrooks? Do you really think the Rams would have had to ante up a "LOT of $$" to sign any of those guys as UDFAs?

Sorry RFIP, but your question begs a different question, why did you pick Sam instead of one of the other players I mentioned? Because he also plays on the D-line? When you're that low in the draft you draft BPA don't you?

Not only is hindsight 20/20, but the Rams decision to draft Sam seems to have been a very good one as he has an good chance to make the final 53.. Can you say the same about any of the other 3 players I mentioned? Why did the Rams draft Rhaney instead of Bonds?

I ask the question because "I" believe they KNEW Westbrooks was better when they drafted Sam.

They had a ton of late picks they could have gambled with, with NOT take Westbrooks when they KNEW they were going to pursue him hot and heavy in FA.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Possibly because they thought the chances of Sam going undrafted were lower than the chances of Westbrooks doing so...? I mean, they got both guys, so whatever their reasoning it worked out.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I believe that neither Sam or Westbrook make it to the practice squad! Too many teams looking for a pass rusher to let them go through!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I ask the question because "I" believe they KNEW Westbrooks was better when they drafted Sam.

They had a ton of late picks they could have gambled with, with NOT take Westbrooks when they KNEW they were going to pursue him hot and heavy in FA.
The financial way they went about it lends credence to your argument and they didn't find out about him AFTER the draft they were holding their breath on that one all through the 7th hoping the DII knock would hold, BTW the Cowboys wanted him too and just didn't pony up.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
On one hand we have the co-SEC DPOY who led the conference in sacks and TFL, and on the other hand we have a guy who played Division II football and has a face tattoo. Is this a serious question??

Why do you hate people with face tattoos?

hangovertattoo300.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Personally, if the Rams don't sign Sam to the 53 man roster, he ain't makin it to the PS. Another team would sign him in an instant to start, for his ability not any social implications.

The only reason we're splitting hairs between Sam and Westbrooks, imo, is our bevy of DE or in particular our DL talent.

To make this a social issue, conspiracy, is ridiculous because if the dude couldn't play he'd be on the bubble. But he's not.

A one trick pony pass rusher was drafted a couple years ago on DL, Quinn, and he turned out to be a well rounded DL. Besides, one trick pony pass rushers do not come along often, or cheap.

Woah.

Who says that Sam is not on the roster bubble?

He was the 249th pick in the draft and another team would sign him in an instant to start?
After a couple tackles/pressures & one sack against backups or future camp cuts?

And c'mon now. Sam is not nearly the athlete Quinn is and was coming out of college.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
The financial way they went about it lends credence to your argument and they didn't find out about him AFTER the draft they were holding their breath on that one all through the 7th hoping the DII knock would hold, BTW the Cowboys wanted him too and just didn't pony up.
http://archauthority.com/2014/05/17/rams-udfa-bonuses-may-provide-clues-roster-composition/
For reference, the financial rewards for last year’s UDFA class provided about a 50 percent accuracy rating in determining who had a shot. Safety Cody Davis, who received a $15,000 bonus and a $20,000 contract guarantee in 2013, did not make the opening 53-man roster, but he was kept on the practice squad until being promoted to the active roster in late September and sticking for the rest of the season. Running back Benny Cunningham was given a $10,000 bonus and was on the active roster for the entire season. Linebacker Jonathan Stewart received an equal bonus and made the opening roster before being released in Week 2. Several other players who spent time in the program as rookies, including linebacker Phillip Steward, defensive end Gerald Rivers, fullback Eric Stevens, and cornerback Darren Woodard, were also part of the bonus pool.

That’s not to say the bonuses are a clear indicator that a player will even have a chance at the practice squad, however. Tackle Braden Brown, who was also given a $15,000 bonus, suffered an injury and was released before he even participated in a training camp practice. Four others out of the 12-man bonus pool were no longer Rams by the end of August.

It’s certainly possible for a player who doesn’t receive a bonus to make the team, too, particularly if they are at a position of need. Linebackers Ray Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates came into camp as a converted safety and a tryout player, respectively, with neither receiving a bonus. But after starter Jo-Lonn Dunbar was suspended, the Rams needed more ‘backers, and both of them were able to crack the roster because of their special teams ability. In addition, offensive tackle Sean Hooey and Emory Blake lasted the full year on the practice squad without receiving bonuses. This proves that performing really well on the field is always the best solution, but the financial commitment is always a nice thing for a player to possess going into camp.
Looking at recent history, I'd say the financial implications from the UDFA class don't really amount to much at all. Otherwise how come LBs Stewart and Steward came into camp with bonuses and guaranteed money and the better talents Armstrong and Bates didn't? How come Cody Davis made the biggest bonus and didn't even make the team? Why hasn't anyone doubted why we haven't drafted any of our other succesful UDFAs over some of our other late round picks before? Does it bother you that much how these two ended up on the team even though they both ended up here? Why is that?

You guys are looking for a conspiracy when there isn't one, and honestly some people seem to be looking for evidence that isn't there to support their own political (or "anti-PC" whatever you want to call it) agenda. That's what I find ridiculous, and no I won't apologize for calling someone else's opinion ridiculous because if somebody walks up to me and says the world is going to end in 2 weeks I'm going to laugh in their face.

Alan

Legend
RFIP still not answering my question:

Even if I buy into your assertion that they "knew" Westbrooks was/is better than Sam, wouldn't that also mean they "knew" Westbrooks was better than Rhaney, Van Dyk and Bryant? Again I ask you, why didn't they draft Westbrooks instead of any of those three. After all, "it has to be asked". ;)

Plus RFIP, it's, as of right now, only your opinion that Westbrooks is better than Sam.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
http://archauthority.com/2014/05/17/rams-udfa-bonuses-may-provide-clues-roster-composition/

Looking at recent history, I'd say the financial implications from the UDFA class don't really amount to much at all. Otherwise how come LBs Stewart and Steward came into camp with bonuses and guaranteed money and the better talents Armstrong and Bates didn't? How come Cody Davis made the biggest bonus and didn't even make the team? Why hasn't anyone doubted why we haven't drafted any of our other succesful UDFAs over some of our other late round picks before? Does it bother you that much how these two ended up on the team even though they both ended up here? Why is that?

You guys are looking for a conspiracy when there isn't one, and honestly some people seem to be looking for evidence that isn't there to support their own political (or "anti-PC" whatever you want to call it) agenda. That's what I find ridiculous, and no I won't apologize for calling someone else's opinion ridiculous because if somebody walks up to me and says the world is going to end in 2 weeks I'm going to laugh in their face.

Quit inferring motives in what people believe, this isn't Dr.Phil. and what in the world would be wrong with Kroenke wanting to make sure Sam wasn't passed over ?

FWIW if your position that Sam's just that good and had a high draftable grade infers a conspiracy among all the teams who didn't draft him especially teams like the Cowboys who are thread bare for pass rushers.

Apology? I never asked for one, but let me say this ,your example of the world ending is a bit of a overstated comparison. Lemme know who here tells you that PM me.

We all have opinions and FWIW that's ALL yours is as well, when you disrespect those of others you diminish your own worse than you do theirs.
TD out

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just why did the Rams draft Michael Sam and NOT Westbrooks?

I would LOVE to hear the "real" answer to that one though we know we'll never get it.

I mean they offer Westbrooks a LOT of $$ as far as UDFA's go, and he certainly looks the part.

So WHY didn't they draft him instead of Sam?
This implies that you know what the answer is.
So what are you implying?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Even if I buy into your assertion that they "knew" Westbrooks was/is better than Sam, wouldn't that also mean they "knew" Westbrooks was better than Rhaney, Van Dyk and Bryant? Again I ask you, why didn't they draft Westbrooks instead of any of those three. After all, "it has to be asked". ;)

Plus RFIP, it's, as of right now, it's only your opinion that Westbrooks is better than Sam.
Hell Al the whole draft boils down to opinion ,that's why there are so many busts, I agree it's opinion on all our parts EVEN that Westbrooks is better,but it's unquestionable he's more versatile just because his beam is wider.

A lot of people were of the opinion RG was going to be a world beater,Manzeil too, Ryan Leif, but from the way they outbid the Cowboys I get the drift they were pretty high on Westbrooks and took a chance not drafting him and did draft Sam, partially for reasons I've stated and I'm glad they did for our team, but from the beginning I've thought it was a move that might not have been in Sam's best interest because he was destined for bubble status due to our depth

RFIP

This implies that you know what the answer is.
So what are you implying?

I firmly believe they drafted Sam as a favor to the league for sure, and maybe to silent Stan as well.

The confusing thing to me is why with so many late picks, that they did NOT draft Westbrooks.