1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Once-in-a-lifetime prospect? Scouts break down Clowney

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Ramifications, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Yeah, but with Johnson and Luck, you know what you are getting. How many sixth rounders that sucked to get a Brady. Hundreds?

Warner was a FA. Should we give up all our picks since we can get Hall of Famers with a UFA pick. Priest Holmes was a UFA. So was London Fletcher, let's cut Laurinaitis and save money since we can get great UFA LBs. We should build our draft philosophy around that strategy.

2. Hopefully others wouldn't cut the larger conversation short because of what one person thinks. I've learned a few things from the thread.

Respectfully, why not follow your own advice? If you find it redundant, stop posting. Post after post after post saying why are we posting? IS REDUNDANT, but it is your posts that are contributing to that.

3. LosAngelesRams Janoris Ogletree

OK so what about Tony Mandarich? did you not see my other comment? the point i'm trying to get across is no one is a guarantee, no one.

tonyl711 likes this.
  4. I didn't scout him, I did Johnson and Luck.

That is a good debate tactic to answer a question with a question.

Sometimes people forget the earlier question.

So back to that, did DET and IND regret the picks?

Is your point we should assume all such proclamations will end as badly as Mandarich? How would that have worked out for DET and IND.

5. LosAngelesRams Janoris Ogletree

no the point is your naming 2 prospects that ended up living up to expectations and your not even attempting to bring up the busts.

6. Zaphod Well-Known Member

It's not entirely short term thinking either. You could easily say that drafting Matthews is a long term move that gives them depth at tackle, which is one of the things that's honestly plagued this team for some time.

7. You are missing the point of some positions being more valuable than others. Teams don't take FBs #1 overall for a reason.

Generally, good guards and safeties are not as valuable as elite DEs.

It isn't even like there is a great guard like Cooper or Warmack in the class, or an outstanding safety class like last year, let alone once-in-a-decade prospects.

The key to the draft is to get the right player and position at the right place at the right time.

Our chance of getting a great FB is reduced by not burning a 1.2 on one! :^)

8. I brought them up because they were the most recent examples of prospects called by scouts historically good at their respective positions that I could think of.

Unless you can think of better, recent and contemporary examples, you are evading the question or premise.

* I'd also add Suh, who admittedly hasn't been as successful, I wouldn't call him a bust.

9. tonyl711 Well-Known Member

why dont you get off my back? if im tired of saying the same thing over and over that's how I feel, quit trying to pick a fight.

10. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Yea, it does. It absolutely does. The guy that drafted him wasn't fired because he drafted for 5-10 years. That's revisionist history. He was fired because he drafted a bust at #2(Smith), he drafted terribly once you got past the 2nd round and his coaching hire was a flop.

Potential isn't the coach killer. Bad picks are.

My theory does account for reality because there are many many many many examples out there of draft picks and GMs that go for the best talent and are quite successful doing it.

If you draft for now, you deserve what you'll get and that's usually not good things. Go ask the Cardinals about that.

11. LosAngelesRams Janoris Ogletree

The question you asked is stupid and obvious, which is why I countered you with a stupid obvious question.

So we should just draft who ever X person/media outlet says is the "best player in draft" :ROFLMAO:

12. tonyl711 Well-Known Member

lol, so only the players you scouted count? yeah ok.

13. The thread had sprawled a few pages past where I had left it last night and I hadn't caught up to the end when I responded to a few posts as I saw them. You are posting a lot in the thread, so I responded more to you than if you had posted once. I think you are more mistaken than some other posters, which is why I devoted more posts to yours, perhaps. If I agreed with them, this may not have been the case. When I wrote the initial responses, I don't think I had seen this one yet.

When you disagree saying the same thing over and over and over, you aren't picking a fight, only the other people, is that the gist. if you are tired of repeating yourself, look in the mirror instead of blaming.

14. Which worked out pretty good with Aldon Smith.

15. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

So we're drafting Clowney? I'm certainly am not opposed if he's that dang good. Not to mention he's got Quinn and Long to mentor him. That would make the RGME trade completely lopsided.

16. tonyl711 Well-Known Member

or better yet, read my post where I say its getting us nowhere so I don't see the point, you look in the mirror and ask yourself why you think you can force someone to think like you do, and why when they explain why they are done talking about it you think you have the right to tell them they are wrong for not wanting to say the same things 100 freaking times.

17. I haven't heard anybody say Clowney will take a half decade to decade to pay off, that is a caricature, and not a very good one of what has been said. Need based drafting led to Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson. Need is a dogma, too, you do realize that, right... just not a very good one.

18. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Tony, it's just a debate, man. Let it go. I think we're all good with agreeing to disagree. Some of us just wanted to continue the discussion. If you don't want to, you don't have to. If you do want to, no reason to get so heated. We're all friends here(or at least we pretend to be...that X guy cannot be trusted). (y)

BigRamFan likes this.
  19. Like I said, I responded to several of earlier posts before reading every single one of them, you have a shitload of posts in here, many saying why do we post over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... we get it, you aren't having fun.

You aren't saying the same thing, you made a crack about Tony Mandarich, but I have to let it go because you are so sensitive about others being critical of your posts, though not above laughing at others.

This isn't some kind of life or death military tribunal, relax.

20. I don't think Fisher, who prefers vet OL, will want to roll without Saffold, Wells and Dahl. Guards can be gotten later.

If Clowney could have been been an elite talent for us for a decade, and Long does make a full recovery, why predicate such a fateful, momentous decision because we might need to cover Long for a few games?