Once again, Best offense ever taken down by defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We have a good defense, and with Williams leading them now, it will be even better.

But!!! Is it ready to be a truly dominate defense?

I think it can be, if we grab the right pieces.

A CB in the 1st, and OLB in the 1st/2nd, and a FS in the 1st or FA. Maybe sprinkle in a pass rushing DT into the rotation from the draft and we might get there.

This defense is close, but still needs some pieces to be able to shut down teams completely.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
What would help the Rams D more than anything is an O that can score early. If you look at the games where the Rams beat teams that most thought they had no chance to beat, they got up early and forced the opponent to pass. In Indy it was the D that got the early lead, Chi it as Tavons long run and then the D, I dont remember how the saints game started, but once the Rams get a lead and make an O 1 dimensional they are capable of dominating.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What would help the Rams D more than anything is an O that can score early. If you look at the games where the Rams beat teams that most thought they had no chance to beat, they got up early and forced the opponent to pass. In Indy it was the D that got the early lead, Chi it as Tavons long run and then the D, I dont remember how the saints game started, but once the Rams get a lead and make an O 1 dimensional they are capable of dominating.

Closing down the opposing teams offense will give the offense more chances.

The Cheatriots and the Broncos had the best offensive years ever in the NFL and dominated teams with there offense with ease. And now they are getting destroyed, forr all the good their amazing offense is, it can do nothing against a truly dominate Defense.

I'm not saying ignore the offense, just that i want some defense early.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think the D is closer than many think, if the O can convert 3rd downs and/or score points the D is capable of dominating, but the O has to give them some rest they cant be on the field for 40+ mins a game

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The best offense ever, or the GSOT would've stomped these pussies in the mud.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The GSOT was different, and they had a good defense with them. Even against an elite defense like the Bucs they won, and the titans defense held them pretty good, but they prevailed. Same as they would against the Seahags.

Still, our offense now is not the GSOT, even if we add Watkins it won't be. We are much closer to having an elite defense than an elite offense. I'm not saying disregard the offense, I'm just saying finish the defense off, especially since we play the NFC BEST.

PhxRam

and the titans defense held them pretty good, but they prevailed.

Not necessarily sure I agree with that.

The Rams marched up and down the field on them.

Held them off the scoreboard? I will give you that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not necessarily sure I agree with that.

The Rams marched up and down the field on them.

Held them off the scoreboard? I will give you that.

That was more what i meant. Its much like our defense now, bend but don't break, which isn't surprising.

PhxRam

That was more what i meant. Its much like our defense now, bend but don't break, which isn't surprising.

I never liked the idea of a "bend but dont break" defense.

Why subject your D to long stretches on the field?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I never liked the idea of a "bend but dont break" defense.

Why subject your D to long stretches on the field?

Hell if i know, its annoying and makes us all complain till they are stopped eventually, then we are happy till it happens again lol. I rather just stop em. Ask Fisher lol

PhxRam

Hell if i know, its annoying and makes us all complain till they are stopped eventually, then we are happy till it happens again lol. I rather just stop em. Ask Fisher lol

I did. he doesnt seem to be answering my emails.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My vote is to build a dominating D. Lots of good pieces there. The O as is could get it done if need be with some line replacements.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The thing to remember about high scoring offenses is that they typically aren't concerned about TOs. Then you get days like today, against a defense that feeds off TOs.

From the first play, Denver was doomed. Seattle's D smelled blood in the water, and Manning contributed the feeding frenzy. Manning couldn't get untracked in the first half because he wasn't on the field enough. By the second half, all they could do was hope Seattle made mistakes, which didn't happen.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I dunno. The Rams offense mustered one fg for 57 minutes against TB at home in the NFC championship game and could not punch it in against the Titans most of the game. I agree with what Vermeil said following SB 34 and that was that team had to get tougher, meaning adding more smashmouth capability. That team was too finesse I think to deal with a defense like this especially if they would be allowed to hold in the secondary.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We have a good defense, and with Williams leading them now, it will be even better.

A CB in the 1st, and OLB in the 1st/2nd, and a FS in the 1st or FA. Maybe sprinkle in a pass rushing DT into the rotation from the draft and we might get there.

This defense is close, but still needs some pieces to be able to shut down teams completely.

I posted in another thread. I think our DL is as good or better, but where we fall short is in the back end. CB, safety. Seattle is just better than anyone. So if we can improve in those spots (as you stated) we can be top 5 IMO.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I posted in another thread. I think our DL is as good or better, but where we fall short is in the back end. CB, safety. Seattle is just better than anyone. So if we can improve in those spots (as you stated) we can be top 5 IMO.

agree, if we get the right players and they pan out, it will be scary fun to watch.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

I KNOW you are not making the comparison that it appears you may be making...:sneaky: