On replacement refs...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I was thinking about this yesterday. Most of us all probably already know there might be replacement refs next year when/if the NFL locks out the referees. I won't even get into the hypocrisy of expecting refs to ensure a decrease in injuries (and that players with concussions don't return) and that if they were serious about this they would want the best refs out there. I won't really delve into it.

I will say this. I'm in favor of using replacement refs. Why? Because the refs have treated the Rams like crap for the last 5 years, and especially the last three. I know every fan thinks the refs screwed their team, but I have never seen such blatant bias against any team like the Rams got. Almost every questionable call went against the Rams. Other than the humor of hearing Dahl call out the ref for their terrible job, I get no pleasure at seeing those buffoons ruin a game. I'm tired of seeing them help the other team. I'm tired of seeing the Rams getting Hochulied. I'm tired of all their crap. I'm sick of it. I hope they get locked out and never come back.

So I say, bring on the replacements. They can't screw the Rams over half as bad as the guys they're replacing. Maybe the Rams won't have to play against the opponents and the refs anymore.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I could care less about this referee struggle going on right now. I agree the Rams have received a disproportionate amount of bad calls the past few years too. Game changers at that. What I'm mostly concerned with is the amount of flags a replacement squad will throw, but then I read a statistic from Doug Farrar that stated the last time replacements were used, they threw almost a third of the amount.

I'll take it. Call the blatant stuff; and the rest of the time, let them play.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
X said:
Yeah, I could care less about this referee struggle going on right now. I agree the Rams have received a disproportionate amount of bad calls the past few years too. Game changers at that. What I'm mostly concerned with is the amount of flags a replacement squad will throw, but then I read a statistic from Doug Farrar that stated the last time replacements were used, they threw almost a third of the amount.

I think the NFL and the Refs will get a deal done right before the first regular season game,they both playing the leverage game

bluecoconuts

Legend
Remember when Dahl yelled out fuck over the mic and they basically walked the Bengals into the endzone last year?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hell,,, as long as they're not bringing in NBA refs to be the replacements, everyting IRIE.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
A bad call here or there is expected but the video ref can correct this BS when it happens. I'm all for more video cams & video refs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJTVdgtGWdk[/youtube]

:nono: :roll:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:

I'm OK with this AS LONG as they settle before week 7,I want real refs for the Patriots game.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now the referree union has critiqued the replacement refs. Just more proof of their arrogance, damn I wish all of the regular refs were fired (from PFT/Mike Florio):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... officials/

On Monday, the NFL Referees Association sent out a list of the errors made by the replacement officials in Sunday night’s Hall of Fame game.

The league doesn’t seem to be swayed by the gesture.

“There are officiating errors in every game,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT via email. ”No one is perfect.”

A source with no horse in the fight thinks that the NFLRA should continue to scrutinize the officials, after the lockout is resolved.

“I wish the NFLRA also published that information on weekly basis about themselves,” said an employee with one of the NFL teams. ”Actually, what they did was lame and quite hypocritical.”

That’s a great point. If the NFLRA is going to list the mistakes made by the replacement officials, there’s no basis for comparison unless the locked-out officials have their performances publicly scrutinized, too.

Maybe the replacements made more mistakes. Maybe fewer. Maybe the same. With only the data from the replacements available, there’s no way of knowing the truth.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ugh, I was totally wrong. I want the real refs now

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This replacement Ref crap won't stop till a couple teams lose star players, you know the ESPN pretty boy kind of players.
It's not just the bad calls, they don't have the skills to control pro players. Brady, either Manning or a megatron type player gets taken out with a cheap shot then it gets solved.

That or Vegas stops putting out betting lines due to the bad refs. That will get the real Refs back the next week.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Yamahopper said:
This replacement Ref crap won't stop till a couple teams lose star players, you know the ESPN pretty boy kind of players.
It's not just the bad calls, they don't have the skills to control pro players. Brady, either Manning or a megatron type player gets taken out with a cheap shot then it gets solved.

That or Vegas stops putting out betting lines due to the bad refs. That will get the real Refs back the next week.

Do you think something could change if enough people in the league, along with the media, keep voicing their opinions on it? I hate the idea of a significant, cheap injury or a bogus penalty at the end of a big game (on national TV) spurning action for negotiations.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Thordaddy said:
X said:

I'm OK with this AS LONG as they settle before week 7,I want real refs for the Patriots game.

Can I move that deadline up 4 weeks?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
Yamahopper said:

Do you think something could change if enough people in the league, along with the media, keep voicing their opinions on it? I hate the idea of a significant, cheap injury or a bogus penalty at the end of a big game (on national TV) spurning action for negotiations.

Yeah if the media, public complain enough or any rumors that the NFL is using this to fix games it would help.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This game was loaded with terrible calls, it would be a nightmare if the league allowed this any longer. They didn't even know what down it was at one point. No way they let this continue past 6 games without serious fan retailation. :x

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Replacement refs are ass....They will get Ed Hochuley and Mike Carey back in no time...These replacement refs are shit....I am glad the Rams still won this game with those BS call against them... :lmao:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Commandant Goodell's "attempt" to paint the picture of his commitment to player safety with the bounty gate witch hunt,,, has turned into the reality of the opposite with these replacement trainees still calling games.

Goodell is an embarrassment to not only the safety of the game,,, but also the integrity of the game at the same time.

Hey Roger,,, you can't burn the tapes on these games. Hope these get used against you in the future Slick.

Wonderboy

Rookie
The way I see it is the replacement refs are like subsitute teachers. Everybody always dump trucks the substitute teachers. And NFL players were the kids who lead the charge. THERE IS NO AUTHORITY. I can tell it not only in the Rams games (which have both been terrible), but all of the games that I've watched so far in this young season.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Selassie I said:
Commandant Goodell's "attempt" to paint the picture of his commitment to player safety with the bounty gate witch hunt,,, has turned into the reality of the opposite with these replacement trainees still calling games.

Goodell is an embarrassment to not only the safety of the game,,, but also the integrity of the game at the same time.

Hey Roger,,, you can't burn the tapes on these games. Hope these get used against you in the future Slick.
Selassie gets it!

It's not about game integrity, player safety, or any other platitude that sounds good on TV. It's about money and power, that's all, and this current situation with the Refs demonstrates that on its own, even if one were never to consider the Bountygate FAIL.