On paper we have outstanding OGs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Saffold could get hurt and Robinson could be a bust, but as far as power and athleticism we should have elite OG play. Both will be great pass protectors and road graders in the run game. Right now they are the strength of this offense. If Long is healthy and to form and Barksdale plays at his 2013 level or even improves, we could have some great offensive line play in. 2014. Keep your fingers crossed because if this unit doesn't play to it's potential our offense will struggle mightily. We don't have outside talent to overcome line failure.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Man its exciting to think about. this line has the potential to be THE best line in the NFL at both pass blocking and run blocking. 4 of our 5 starting lineman have the Left tackle pass blocking ability and are all road graders on top of that. Im ready to see the big boys destroy NFC west defenses.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I concur, however, would feel much better if the Rams added a veteran OG and OT for depth. As it stands now Brandon Washington (who they must like) & Barrett Jones seem to be the back-up Guards. Understood that both Saffold & Robinson can play tackle, however, I hope the Rams can keep them both playing the same position all year.

In the end it comes down to injuries so hopefully the Rams can keep the OL in tact because if that happens good things should come.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'll wait until game 1 before proclaiming anything. Last year everyone (including me) was drooling at how ruthless the defense will be game 1. Yeah...didn't happen until the 5th game or so.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Given what Boudreaux has gotten done with castoffs from other teams, I cannot wait to see what he does with Robinson. And if Saffold can stay healthy it's going to be the first time in a long time that the Rams have a strong interior on their line.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I concur, however, would feel much better if the Rams added a veteran OG and OT for depth. As it stands now Brandon Washington (who they must like) & Barrett Jones seem to be the back-up Guards. Understood that both Saffold & Robinson can play tackle, however, I hope the Rams can keep them both playing the same position all year.

In the end it comes down to injuries so hopefully the Rams can keep the OL in tact because if that happens good things should come.
I don't think the depth of this roster has filled out quite yet. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one offensive lineman signed between now and week 1. And it may be Harvey Dahl...who can play both guard and RT.

dhaab

Rookie
Does anyone know what is happening with Scott Wells? What is his health status at this point?

lockdnram21

Legend
Saffold could get hurt and Robinson could be a bust, but as far as power and athleticism we should have elite OG play. Both will be great pass protectors and road graders in the run game. Right now they are the strength of this offense. If Long is healthy and to form and Barksdale plays at his 2013 level or even improves, we could have some great offensive line play in. 2014. Keep your fingers crossed because if this unit doesn't play to it's potential our offense will struggle mightily. We don't have outside talent to overcome line failure.

We have the talent but if the line doesn't block Qb want have time ti get the receivers the ball. All this downing the Wr is getting old give them a chance. The coaches must seen something that would make the confident in these receivers so much that they didn't draft a receivers

rdw

Pro Bowler
To me the wildcard here is Barrett Jones. Everyone was raving about his college performance and how huge of a pickup he was. Being that his rookie year was a redshirt year if you will, I'd really like to know what we have in the guy. He would be a huge boost to our line if he's everything people were raving about when drafted.
To me a huge part of our season depends on the health of our line. If healthy it will dominate which will translate to a very strong team this year. Can we start training camp already?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I think at this point center will be the weak link on the line. Wells is smart and savvy but he isnt very powerful, he is ok on pass blocking but not great on run blocking. It would have been nice to draft a big nasty guard/center but maybe jones is that guy. Like you guys im still worried about depth.

V3

Hall of Fame

Not sure how you can make that statement when he(Robinson) barely did it in college. He's about as raw as you can get in that department. Who knows if he can learn it. People were saying the same thing about Smith right after he was drafted(not saying he's Smith).

It's fine to be excited but I'm not going to be making bold statements like that when there's hardly any evidence to support it.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Robinson should be ok pass blocking as a guard, that said there is no guarantee that he will ever be good enough to be a left tackle. Time will tell

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure how you can make that statement when he(Robinson) barely did it in college. He's about as raw as you can get in that department. Who knows if he can learn it. People were saying the same thing about Smith right after he was drafted(not saying he's Smith).

It's fine to be excited but I'm not going to be making bold statements like that when there's hardly any evidence to support it.
Most of Robinson's pass blocking was on the line at Auburn, something a OG will be doing. His problem with pass pro is that he was rarely on an island so it was hard to judge how good he could be.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have the talent but if the line doesn't block Qb want have time ti get the receivers the ball. All this downing the Wr is getting old give them a chance. The coaches must seen something that would make the confident in these receivers so much that they didn't draft a receivers
I'm just calling it as I see it. I don't have faith in the WRs. They dropped too many passes last year and failed to separate. We need better play from them this year.

V3

Hall of Fame
Most of Robinson's pass blocking was on the line at Auburn, something a OG will be doing. His problem with pass pro is that he was rarely on an island so it was hard to judge how good he could be.

He also had issues with hand placement and holding. He won't get away with that in the NFL. People just assume since he's young and hasn't had to do much of it that he'll be able to figure it all out with some more time and coaching. That could turn out to be the case or he could end up having major issues with it like Jason Smith did. I've learned my lesson. I'm not going to assume a prospect will do anything until I see them do it on a consistent basis. That's just me, though. And again, I'm not saying he'll end up like Smith. I'm only pointing out how so many people just assumed Smith would figure it all out with more time and coaching. Just because they're the 2nd pick overall doesn't mean they're a lock. I didn't see enough evidence from Robinson to suggest he's even close to a lock in pass-pro. That's not his fault due to the scheme he was in but it's still something that should be considered.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We obviously have a few "if's" that need to come to fruition for us to be successful. The good news is if they do, we should be a darn good football team.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Agree! Bring back Dahl? He was good at RT too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Does anyone know what is happening with Scott Wells? What is his health status at this point?
Probably similar to that old tv remote control you've had for years. Missing the battery cover, batteries taped in, hoping it still works every time you pick it up.