On Jared Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreenMays

UDFA
Just watched the replay and Cook only plays about 6 of the first 22 or so plays on the way to 28 points. He is not on the field for the first few WR screens. He drops his only target - a tough but catchable semi-back shoulder pass. Otherwise, his only involvement is a decent block downfield on Tre Mason's screen TD to the right, and completely whiffing on a block to his side on Tavon's TD.
wk-13-tavon-td.jpg

While I respect Jared Cook's athleticism and dedication, I don't think he is a good NFL TE. He doesn't run block, he doesn't have good hands, and he can't catch routes down the seam. If I was a defensive coordinator, I would love to see him on the field because I can eliminate certain plays and routes. We almost never run to his side when he is on the field. I wonder if Brian Schottenheimer has realized this as well.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The problem with Cook is himself, he has $35.1 million body but a 25-cent brain when it comes to mental toughness (or lack of).

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pretty sure most of his big plays are down the seam. Problem is they don't throw that often enough. Other than that yeah he is lacking in some of the other discplines

CoachO

Hall of Fame
and yet, he is still leading the team (AGAIN) in receptions, and is on pace to match last year's numbers when he set a franchise record for receptions by a TE.

iced

His hands and effort are the root issues, imo

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Quick. Name the last Rams TE that was as much of a threat in the passing game as Cook is.

?

Let Kendricks and Harkey worry about blocking. I'll take that tree in the passing game all day every day.
He's 80th in the league in drops this year too. All three of them were killers, I guess. I can't remember.

fearsomefour

Legend
Quick. Name the last Rams TE that was as much of a threat in the passing game as Cook is.

?

Let Kendricks and Harkey worry about blocking. I'll take that tree in the passing game all day every day.
He's 80th in the league in drops this year too. All three of them were killers, I guess. I can't remember.
ummmm.....Pete Holohan?

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been as rough on Cook as anyone. However, I do not believe he displays a lack of effort. While he is very fast in a straight line kind of way (see the TD vs. Arizona) he does not have a very quick first step (this plays into getting leverage and angles in the blocking game) and he is not the most fluid mover. Somethings that may be perceived as lack of effort are some physical short comings imho. I think back to T Grant Williams. I remember Ram fans complaining that he needed to get stronger (he would get bull rushed back into the QB at times). His issue was not strength, it was a back issue that made it tough for him to bend and play with leverage. So it goes with Cook....it is not a great comparison but I don't think Cook shows lack of effort I just think he is not a fluid player. In short, he has great size and speed but is not a graceful athlete. Ok. I have accepted that Cook will never be a complete player at his position and that fact may mean he is overpaid. All of that is ok because he can play a big roll in this offense. He has contributed and has left some big plays on the field....what I see with Cook is a guy that is a match up nightmare....that part of his potential should only continue to grow as the Rams establish a physical running game and settle the QB situation going forward.
Cook makes me crazy at times, but, he is staying on the team. He is not a perfect TE by even the most generous stretch....he is not even the best TE on the Rams. However, what he brings to the table is something the other more traditional TEs on the Rams do not. I can see a time with the Rams before he is done where Cook scores 12 + TDs in a season.
He is a bit of a mixed bag but he is contributing in a big way to the Rams O.

GreenMays

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are they giving out Lombardi trophies for this now? Cook's cap hit is higher than Antonio Gates, Gronkowski, and Jimmy Graham. Should we expect more than 39 yards/game and 1 TD in 12 games? He doesn't run block. Kenny Britt blocks better than Jared Cook.

But I guess if your end of season goal is to have the best statistical TE in Rams history, more power to you.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Draft a Ducks TE. Lack of receiving TE solved. Keep Kendricks and Harkey

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are they giving out Lombardi trophies for this now? Cook's cap hit is higher than Antonio Gates, Gronkowski, and Jimmy Graham. Should we expect more than 39 yards/game and 1 TD in 12 games? He doesn't run block. Kenny Britt blocks better than Jared Cook.

But I guess if your end of season goal is to have the best statistical TE in Rams history, more power to you.

When you put it that way Cook is over paid. Is that accurate? I thought Jimmy Graham got a big new deal this year.

It isn't that easy to find a TE with Cooks skills as evidenced by your list. Coaches still have to game plan for him. If they didn't he could have games like the first Arizona game last year. Don't forget that the Rams have more options to throw to now also. And I think Cook has been showing more toughness this year. He fights for yards much better. That catch for the first down against SF that was called back on a bogus penalty was a great example of this. He has been fighting off tackles now instead of going down easily.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Are you paying him out of your bank account?
And that's not even accurate.

xHaoalT.png

http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Using your logic, all of our receivers are over paid, since none of them have as many receptions.

?

When was the 3rd one? Only two I can remember is the one that single handedly cost us the Dallas game, and made the playoffs about 50 times less likely and the one on Sunday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When was the 3rd one? Only two I can remember is the one that single handedly cost us the Dallas game, and made the playoffs about 50 times less likely and the one on Sunday.
Single handedly cost us the game? Did he throw two interceptions (one pick six, and one with 1:11 left on the clock) or give up 24 second half points?

Single handedly cost us the game? Did he throw two interceptions (one pick six, and one with 1:11 left on the clock) or give up 24 second half points?

No he just dropped a wide open catch on a ball that hit him in the hands in the end zone, and meant we would have been running the clock during both of those interceptions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No he just dropped a wide open catch on a ball that hit him in the hands in the end zone, and meant we would have been running the clock during both of those interceptions.
Not if he didn't rack up those 75 yards that put them in those other scoring situations. It really is a stretch to say that one of his three drops removed the Rams from playoff contention. We lost 5 games after that one and one before it too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good to know that even after a 52-0 victory, people can still find a player to criticize. That's accountability.