OMG - it's happening again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Unit

UDFA
I read some of the posts of the 22-year-olds, suddenly excited; it's fun, isn't it?

I'm 63, a big sports fan who's lived in several states, thus following numerous teams in all major sports (I can still name the starting lineup of the 1961 Detroit Tigers); and the '99 Rams are my favorite team, in any sport, of all time. The glow from that team endured, and endured, and endured; all the way to this year's Monday night game against the hated Niners. Then, Rams up 14-0, they gave up an 81-yard TD with less than 30 seconds left in the half.

I remember it vividly; everyone in the Dome knew the one thing that COULD NOT HAPPEN, had just happened; and I decided I would stop caring; stop putting my sense of well-being in the hands of such a disappointing team. The light went out. I would watch, and be interested; just dispassionately. Decided at that moment not to renew season tickets; started thinking about putting together a fantasy team, so not all my eggs would be in the Rams' basket. I'd hit rock bottom as a fan.

Dammit, anyway. Don't know how the defense suddenly "got it". Didn't know Tre Mason needed only to figure out how to pass block, so he could show his explosiveness. I knew, and hoped, that Stedmon Bailey had talent, but thought it was wasted; knew our D-line had talent; couldn't figure out how we had only one sack.

I wasn't sure at first; admittedly some fluky wins (Seattle; San Francisco); then, all of a sudden, with a dominant, who'da thunk it win over Denver; now with consecutive shutouts; not only shutouts, but without our opponent in the red zone, in either game!

Now I check this damn board a dozen times a day; don't care that the Rams won't be in the playoffs; the flame that had gone out, then started to flicker again, now is suddenly coming back to life. The NFL - which when your team is bad is a smug, greedy, all-invasive juggernaut, is suddenly fun again. I'm even considering renewing season tickets for next year - my 20th consecutive. Being a fan is horrible/wonderful; and very, very addictive.

By the way, some appealing home games next year, including the Bears, Steelers and Lions; not a knock on LA, but I sure hope those games are in St. Louis. Maybe it's their destiny to move eventually; but I'd love to see the Dome full and rocking again first.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Remember when Trent Green went down and Rams went off at 200-1 to win the super bowl? Then a Quarterback that everyone was writing off, older, never a starter in the NFL, one that Mike Martz underrated stepped in and, YES!

That's why I stay a fan through thick and thin.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
It has been very frustrating as a Rams fan my whole family already knows if they lose don't push my buttons.They say I act like I own the team and someone just stole it.So I know the feeling but I've been here with them for over 35 years and I know where we are headed.And all the frustrating years will melt away with this team that's going to dominate for years.

Big Unit

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember when Trent Green went down and Rams went off at 200-1 to win the super bowl? Then a Quarterback that everyone was writing off, older, never a starter in the NFL, one that Mike Martz underrated stepped in and, YES!

That's why I stay a fan through thick and thin.
I was at the preseason game when Trent Green went down. I remember Isaac Bruce pounding the turf in frustration; remember as the Dome went deathly silent.

Flash forward several weeks. Rams had gotten off to a surprising start, but hadn't played the Niners yet - to whom they'd lost 17 games in a row. The game was the 100th between the two teams, with the all-time record even - 49-49-1. Rams won, 42-20; star was Isaac Bruce, with something like 3 touchdown catches; I recall him in tears on the sideline, he was so relieved; so happy.

The stuff of dreams. What a team.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was at the preseason game when Trent Green went down. I remember Isaac Bruce pounding the turf in frustration; remember as the Dome went deathly silent.

Flash forward several weeks. Rams had gotten off to a surprising start, but hadn't played the Niners yet - to whom they'd lost 17 games in a row. The game was the 100th between the two teams, with the all-time record even - 49-49-1. Rams won, 42-20; star was Isaac Bruce, with something like 3 touchdown catches; I recall him in tears on the sideline, he was so relieved; so happy.

The stuff of dreams. What a team.

I think that's what we are looking at again next season WITHOUT a QB going down pre-season.

What a SHOCK the Rams were that season. It took weeks for them to get respect and by the end of the season they were in every highlight and most likely to win out.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Man, I think your OP would get ANY Rams fan back in love with this team. Great pist Unit, and I feel the exact same way!!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I must admit, being a relatively young fan (24), I've only been a diehard Rams fan since 1999.

Being a first generation American in a Portuguese household, I had to learn to play American football AT recess and I thought the quickest way to fit in was to watch the Rams offense and emulate Marshall Faulk on the playground. He instantly became my idol! I fell in love with the sport right away and was glued to the TV every chance I had in watching that offense.

Funny, I used to get made fun of for wearing my Faulk jersey to school and often I was called a bandwagoner or a fair weather fan. Ironically, people still ask me how till this day I can be so passionate for a team that has struggled so much, and I simply tell them, once a Rams fan ALWAYS a Rams fan.

I look forward to the day, and that day will be real soon, when we can all agree on the location of our Rams and that location will be the promise land. Cheers and GO RAMS!!!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum here, and I think I will be until the "stadium issues" get resolved. Being in the last year of the lease all the Rams to L.A. shit is getting too loud for me personally. Not on the forum, just surrounding the team in general. Some talk can be taken seriously, some obviously not, but regardless it's ALL starting to become offensive to me.

I understand why the Rams organization wants to keep quiet on the conversation of stadium talks. That said, they're actually going to have to give me something more reassuring this offseason that the team is staying in St. Louis before I spend over 3 grand on season tickets again. As painful as it is to say that, it's even more painful to think that I'm giving that money to a team that won't be here in a year or two. This is coming from someone who has maybe missed a total of 5 games since the team has been here too.

I've been trying to avoid posting this out of respect for the forum. I don't like bringing the negative energy that comes with it, and I understand and can appreciate that all the relocation talks have been snuffed out. I just can't hide from it anymore. It's hard enough to watch this league in general now after the laughing stock it's become in the past 5 years with the rules, officiating, and it's stance on just about everything in general. On top of it, imagining that the team would finally become successful again after leaving here makes me sick.

I'll still be going to games and cheering my ass off for the team while they're here, but it's really becoming an eternal struggle. I'll still always come to support the players of any team in St. Louis. However, if the organization wants to give me the quiet treatment when thousands of people are taunting and eluding to the fact that the team will be gone next season, they're going to get the same out of my wallet next year. Every purchase I make next year (if they're even here) will be one made on a resold cheap as dirt ticket. If I can't get that, I might not go.

Not trying to hijack, and sorry to bring down the thread if I did OP. I was actually going to make my own thread, but and my ego isn't big enough to think my problems are so big they deserve their own podium on a forum that above everything else is always very positive. This is just something I had to get off my chest, and couldn't really hold in without making another post. Sorry it had to be your thread man haha.

Big Unit

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum here, and I think I will be until the "stadium issues" get resolved. Being in the last year of the lease all the Rams to L.A. crap is getting too loud for me personally. Not on the forum, just surrounding the team in general. Some talk can be taken seriously, some obviously not, but regardless it's ALL starting to become offensive to me.

I understand why the Rams organization wants to keep quiet on the conversation of stadium talks. That said, they're actually going to have to give me something more reassuring this offseason that the team is staying in St. Louis before I spend over 3 grand on season tickets again. As painful as it is to say that, it's even more painful to think that I'm giving that money to a team that won't be here in a year or two. This is coming from someone who has maybe missed a total of 5 games since the team has been here too.

I've been trying to avoid posting this out of respect for the forum. I don't like bringing the negative energy that comes with it, and I understand and can appreciate that all the relocation talks have been snuffed out. I just can't hide from it anymore. It's hard enough to watch this league in general now after the laughing stock it's become in the past 5 years with the rules, officiating, and it's stance on just about everything in general. On top of it, imagining that the team would finally become successful again after leaving here makes me sick.

I'll still be going to games and cheering my ass off for the team while they're here, but it's really becoming an eternal struggle. I'll still always come to support the players of any team in St. Louis. However, if the organization wants to give me the quiet treatment when thousands of people are taunting and eluding to the fact that the team will be gone next season, they're going to get the same out of my wallet next year. Every purchase I make next year (if they're even here) will be one made on a resold cheap as dirt ticket. If I can't get that, I might not go.

Not trying to hijack, and sorry to bring down the thread if I did OP. I was actually going to make my own thread, but and my ego isn't big enough to think my problems are so big they deserve their own podium on a forum that above everything else is always very positive. This is just something I had to get off my chest, and couldn't really hold in without making another post. Sorry it had to be your thread man haha.
I understand completely; the jury's still out, and I may well be where you are again. I'm not sure I could handle the Rams being in St. Louis next year; being good; and having given up my tickets, a year too soon. Ugh. On the other hand, I thought this year was "it"; don't want to be fooled again, either.

I hope the stadium issues get resolved. Barring that, I hope the team is so successful it overwhelms any negative thoughts. Didn't think that was possible, as recently as four weeks ago; now, I'm not so sure. And just when I'd started to no longer care. Ugh.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum here, and I think I will be until the "stadium issues" get resolved. Being in the last year of the lease all the Rams to L.A. crap is getting too loud for me personally. Not on the forum, just surrounding the team in general. Some talk can be taken seriously, some obviously not, but regardless it's ALL starting to become offensive to me.

I live in PA and never have seen a Rams game live. I still root for them regardless. Sure it would be easier to be a Steeler or Eagles fan. I may get to see a game here or there but it wouldn't be the same as rooting for my childhood favorite. I guess I dont understand the 'team in your home city' thing since I am not in a city with a team. But if I was I would like to think I would have the same allegiance to my team, as I always have once I got over the bitterness of hem leaving.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I must admit, being a relatively young fan (24), I've only been a diehard Rams fan since 1999.

Being a first generation American in a Portuguese household, I had to learn to play American football AT recess and I thought the quickest way to fit in was to watch the Rams offense and emulate Marshall Faulk on the playground. He instantly became my idol! I fell in love with the sport right away and was glued to the TV every chance I had in watching that offense.

Funny, I used to get made fun of for wearing my Faulk jersey to school and often I was called a bandwagoner or a fair weather fan. Ironically, people still ask me how till this day I can be so passionate for a team that has struggled so much, and I simply tell them, once a Rams fan ALWAYS a Rams fan.

I look forward to the day, and that day will be real soon, when we can all agree on the location of our Rams and that location will be the promise land. Cheers and GO RAMS!!!

Man, mine and your fandom are very similiar. Super Bowl 34 was the first game I ever really got ingaged in. I remember the game was about to start and I rather blindly asked my Dad "Who do you want to win? I want the Rams to win." Dad replied Me too, son." That was a proud moment for me, I was 10 at the time. I didn't even know what city the Rams were from. When I my brother told me they were from STL I was dazzled at the notion that I could be a fan of two sports team from the same city. It was a total coincidence, but I prefer to call it destiny. The birth mr.stlouis occured that day. But mostly I'm just Rams and Blues these days. I kinda am starting to hate the Card because I think the Rams should be the most popular team in STL and the stadium issue should be a non-issue. It really ticks me off.

But anyway, I can totally relate to your post. Faulk is my favorite all time player and I also have his jersey. It still hangs in my house today.