Oline: from suspect to strength

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What if the Rams drafted Mathews or Robinson... Then traded down from 13 and grabbed another offensive lineman?

One could argue our oline immediately goes from suspect to strength.

Wouldn't that be awesome? Sam would have the time he needs, better chance of staying healthy, and our running game would be stronger.

There are also some nice guards to be found outside the first. I'm starting to embrace the appeal of this strategy... Go oline early and often.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would be ok with the Rams drafting OL with picks #2 AND #13. I just do not think you can overstate how important it is to have a solid OL. People keep clamoring for a "#1 wr" (I truly hate that term now), but what good is a single wr if the offense can't be designed to take advantage of him? Make no mistake about it, protection (or lack thereof) absolutely dictates what you can or can't do with your playmakers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Currently Snead & Fisher does not have an OG on the roster outside of Harvey Dahl who has started an NFL game. The closest is Brandon Washington who played about 2 1/2 quarters in the final game of 2013. Persons & Jones have yet to be active on on the field as a Ram in regular season yet.

I still scratching my head as to why Dahl has not been released yet. No way he can be considered starting material and if they do then that should tell you how desperate & pathetic the OG positions are with this team. Rams might get by with Long & Barksdale @ OT and Wells @ center with two inexperienced OG's starting but it will be rough early for Sam. Rams need two OG's & a ORT in this draft...the ORT could permit Barksdale to swing to OLT if needed. I sure would have no issues if the Rams did select the above during the first two days of the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if the Rams drafted Mathews or Robinson... Then traded down from 13 and grabbed another offensive lineman?

Wouldn't that be awesome? Sam would have the time he needs, better chance of staying healthy, and our running game would be stronger.

There are also some nice guards to be found outside the first. I'm starting to embrace the appeal of this strategy... Go oline early and often.

If they let Saffold walk and don't make a FA splash, they better be planning to take two OLs in the first 3-4 rounds. And that would still scare me.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
What's the situation with Barrett Jones? Is he fully recovered from his foot surgery?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What's the situation with Barrett Jones? Is he fully recovered from his foot surgery?

Over year and a few months removed from the high point issue with that foot.....I know of no on going issues not heard one thing negative about that foot. All we have read here is early from the end of pre season was the 6-4 1/2 308 pounder needed to get back in much better foot ball shape. Serious strength development was ordered & the number one goal. Barrett has shown the ability to be outstanding OL'er during NCAA SEC championship games, highly versatile & tech sound, great moral & family back ground, off the charts smarts, a great frame to be a very good NFL OL'er. you add some very good power to that ????

Last edited:

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I would love to see unit health for just one season please!
Show me a OL that played all 16 games together and I'll show you an offense that was successful, in most cases. Had to put that in there as I didn't look it up yet:p

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I would be ok with the Rams drafting OL with picks #2 AND #13. I just do not think you can overstate how important it is to have a solid OL. People keep clamoring for a "#1 wr" (I truly hate that term now), but what good is a single wr if the offense can't be designed to take advantage of him? Make no mistake about it, protection (or lack thereof) absolutely dictates what you can or can't do with your playmakers.
Of course, the offense could be designed to take advantage of a #1 WR. Any offense can.

That said, I'm fully on board with improving the OL. I just don't agree we need to spend a high pick on a tackle to play guard for at least a year to do it.

The suspect areas of our line are the guard positions. Draft a guard and sign a guard, and I think we're good. (Of course, if we hear about a setback for Jake Long before May, that could change.)

nighttrain

Legend
Of course, the offense could be designed to take advantage of a #1 WR. Any offense can.

That said, I'm fully on board with improving the OL. I just don't agree we need to spend a high pick on a tackle to play guard for at least a year to do it.

The suspect areas of our line are the guard positions. Draft a guard and sign a guard, and I think we're good. (Of course, if we hear about a setback for Jake Long before May, that could change.)
And resign Saffold, at least make a real effort.
train

Boffo97

Name
Dave
And resign Saffold, at least make a real effort.
train
I counted Saffold under the idea of signing a guard. If we sign Saffold and another guard, I'd honestly be happy only drafting depth OL.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm starting to want Jake Matthews @ #2 myself. Take the guy that has the talent and the least amount of issues.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm starting to want Jake Matthews @ #2 myself. Take the guy that has the talent and the least amount of issues.

Ditto.

An anchor for years and years, just like his Pop!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I've thought about this too CGI.
Take either Robinson or Matthews at the top...and then turn around and draft a Xavier Su'a Filo with our other first rounder.
With Saffold,Dahl and Finnegan gone and unpaid you go DB in FA(Byrd/Verner etc...) and then you can field an OLine like:
Long
Robinson
Wells
Su'a Filo
Barksdale

MFaulk107

The Realness
I'd have no problem with that. We aren't getting far with average-above average WRs, with out a sturdy line.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Me? I could see myself drafting two offensive linemen in the first round, if they were the BPA. Yet, Fisher has never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round, and until that streak ends, I have serious doubts Fisher will change his stripes and spots this year.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Me? I could see myself drafting two offensive linemen in the first round, if they were the BPA. Yet, Fisher has never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round, and until that streak ends, I have serious doubts Fisher will change his stripes and spots this year.
Snead and Fisher have laughed that streak off, but yeah, we'll see what happens.

Also, it's interesting to note that Snead came from an Atlanta program that REALLY valued #1 caliber WRs, drafting Julio Jones (and giving up a LOT to do so) when they already had Roddy White.