OldSchool post combine mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Well the excitement of last week's moves had died down so lets do a new mock. I'm not going to list the moves already done just stuff I'd do moving forward. According to Spotrac.com we currently have $36.7 million in cap space.

First thing we'll do is cut Tavon, he has reportedly drawn interest from a few teams but we aren't able to pull off a trade and release him freeing $3 million more.

Next we extend Roger Saffold. Give him 3 more years at $20 million. Moving his roster bonus into guaranteed, $6 million over the 3 years. Give ourselves an extra $1.5 million this year but secure our LG for the next 3 years at a reasonable rate.

Next we extend Aaron Donald. I'm sticking with the $20 million a year for 6 years with $70 million extension. We take a cap increase of $10 million this year but lock up the monster in the middle.

Resign:
Connor Barwin 1 year $3 million
Cody Davis 2 years $5 million
Nickell Robey Coleman 3 years $15 million
John Sullivan 2 years $5 million

After those moves we have $15 million left.

Free agent signings:
DaQuan Jones NT
3 years $15 million (going with numbers similar to what Ellis got). I've had him in the past and I'm keeping up with him with Ellis having signed.
Zach Brown ILB 4 years $15 million (changing up the ILB free agent target). Familiar with some of our defensive coaches from their days in Washington as well as with McVay. A veteran who might only see 2 or 3 years of the deal it all depends on how he ages and how healthy he is.

I went kind of mild with it after our big bang early. Extend both Saffold and Donald which are 2 big priorities. Retained Barwin for a vet at OLB and somebody familiar with Wade. Resigned center and backup FS as well as keep NRC for one of the best secondaries in the league. Added a NT and ILB as well. Left us with about $8 million.

Draft:
Round 1(23): Harold Landry OLB Boston College
- We've done great with BC picks of late. He makes too much sense with value and a position of need. He steps in and starts in Quinn's place.

Round 3(87): Geron Christian OT Louisville - Many here won't like me taking an OT here in the 3rd but this guy has the ability to play either tackle spot. With a year or two behind Whitworth he can be groomed to be the long term successor. He also could step in as a rookie to spell Havenstein and even take over for him next year if we don't retain him. This is drafting more for the future than for the now.

Round 4(111): Micah Kiser ILB Virginia
- A 4th round pick that will step in and start next to Brown at ILB. A tackling machine he'll help our run defense tremendously.

Round 4(135): Dante Pettis WR Washington - I didn't have us resign Watkins and I'm counting on Reynolds, Cooper and Thomas to take those snaps. Pettis is a burner with return abilities.

Round 6(176): Kalen Ballage RB Arizona St - A nice compliment to Brown to back up Gurley

Round 6(183): Taylor Hearn G Clemson - Big bodied and powerful blocker. Needs to work on consistency with Kromer.

Round 6(194): Josey Jewell ILB Iowa - Depth at ILB another big run defender

Round 6(195): Cole Madison G Washington St - More depth and youth at the interior of our line.

Depth Chart:

QB: Goff, Mannion, Allen
RB: Gurley, Brown, Ballage, Davis
WR: Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper, Thomas, Pettis
LT: Whitworth, Christian
LG: Saffold, Hearn
C: Sullivan, Blythe, Eldrenkamp
RG: Brown, Madison
RT: Havenstein, Lucas
TE: Higbee, Everett, Hemingway, Mundt

DE: Donald, Fox
NT: Jones, Smart
DE: Brockers, Westbrook
OLB: Landry, Price
ILB: Brown, Hager
ILB: Kiser, Littleton
OLB: Barwin, Ebukam, Thompson
CB: Peters, Talib, Shield, NRC, Webster, Hill, Peterson
FS: Joyner, Davis
SS: Johnson, Johnson

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an interesting take, my friend. I think landing Ballage, Jewell, and Pettis at those spots is a bit optimistic. But a new take is always appreciated. I have no issue with you going tackle in the 3rd.

TexasRam

Legend
What are you doing with Barron?

Could save 6million by cutting him since he’s a backup in your scenario.

Then you have 14m to spend.

How bout Allen Robinson, Pugh or Norwell?

Don’t sell us short man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are you doing with Barron?

Could save 6million by cutting him since he’s a backup in your scenario.

Then you have 14m to spend.

How bout Allen Robinson, Pugh or Norwell?

Don’t sell us short man.
Ya know I had originally cut him but couldn't decide where to spend the money so I didn't do it and forgot to put him back in the starters. I will likely next mock cut him and spend the money somewhere.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an interesting take, my friend. I think landing Ballage, Jewell, and Pettis at those spots is a bit optimistic. But a new take is always appreciated. I have no issue with you going tackle in the 3rd.
Yeah I'm seeing all three of those all over the boards from 3rd or 4th to 6th even saw Jewell in a 7th round. I've looked at later round alternatives for the next mock.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I like your thinking when deciding on a tackle in the 3rd. I think that's exactly the way the Rams should be thinking.

Do you not see a possibility for Littleton to start? He did look a little inexperienced at times last season when filling in for Barron, but the guy just seems to make plays whether it's on STs or at LB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like your thinking when deciding on a tackle in the 3rd. I think that's exactly the way the Rams should be thinking.

Do you not see a possibility for Littleton to start? He did look a little inexperienced at times last season when filling in for Barron, but the guy just seems to make plays whether it's on STs or at LB.
I think he like the other guys added there will have a shot. Not sure he earns the spot but I don't see the team not adding a player in free agency or the draft because he's on the roster.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I usually won't comment on @OldSchool mocks because we are from the same School and how can you not like this mock? Plus the signing of Zach Brown would have me pleased as punch and his band can play at halftime, but I do believe the Rams will be looking at a Tight End either in free agency or the draft and I have a feeling the kid that will be in horns will be either Ian Thomas of Indiana or Durham Smythe of Notre Dame.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice work bro. Pettis makes it to the 4th? Would love that
I've seen him generally in the 3rd or 4th round area. Maybe we use a 6th to move up a bit to get him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I usually won't comment on @OldSchool mocks because we are from the same School and how can you not like this mock? Plus the signing of Zach Brown would have me pleased as punch and his band can play at halftime, but I do believe the Rams will be looking at a Tight End either in free agency or the draft and I have a feeling the kid that will be in horns will be either Ian Thomas of Indiana or Durham Smythe of Notre Dame.
I'm standing pat at TE. I've been singing that tune all off season so far. Lets see what Everett and Higbee do before we throw them away or take snaps away. Besides we should have Hemingway coming back as well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm standing pat at TE. I've been singing that tune all off season so far. Lets see what Everett and Higbee do before we throw them away or take snaps away. Besides we should have Hemingway coming back as well.

Maybe, but I sure like typing the name Durham Smythe.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW @OldSchool I believe Smythe is your type of Tight End.

Smythe signed on with South Bend despite growing up in Texas, and being the son of a former Baylor offensive lineman who played on the school's 1980 Southwest Conference championship squad. He did not play as a true freshman and had a small role on offense the following season (one catch for seven yards in 13 games). Smythe started three games in 2015 (three catches, 18 yards, one touchdown), but did not participate in any others because of shoulder and knee injuries. Finally healthy in 2016, he started all 12 games, catching nine passes for 112 yards and scoring four times.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Has good size and should continue to grow into his frame. Has a finisher's demeanor as a blocker. Plays like an offensive lineman. Technically sound blocker. Hand placement is accurate and he unlocks his hips into opponent. Runs his feet on down blocks until the block is secured. Understands his landmarks and takes proper angles. Excellent timing and radar when working up to linebacker on combos. Plus blocker for the position in-line and on the move. Trustworthy in pass protection. Was able to work the seam and lay out to make the catch. Unfazed by hitters in the middle of the field.
WEAKNESSES
Straight-line mover who struggles to adjust his release when defenders are looking to lean on him. Initial speed into patterns is average. Routes are very readable for safeties and linebackers. Comes out of his turns without much burst. Separation could be a challenge against man coverage. Needs to gather his feet into contact more consistently as a blocker.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 4-5
SOURCES TELL US
"There are only a handful of the old school tight ends who are big and able to help you in the run game and he's one of them." - AFC area scout
NFL COMPARISON
Dion Sims
BOTTOM LINE
Smythe is a classic "Y" tight end who carries himself like an offensive lineman. He has the frame, toughness and ability to help do the dirty work as a run blocker for teams in need of toughness at the position. While Smythe can catch what is thrown to him, he's unlikely to be a targeted pass catcher on the next level. Smythe's particular talent as a run blocker should create an opportunity to become a solid starter for years to come.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW @OldSchool I believe Smythe is your type of Tight End.

Smythe signed on with South Bend despite growing up in Texas, and being the son of a former Baylor offensive lineman who played on the school's 1980 Southwest Conference championship squad. He did not play as a true freshman and had a small role on offense the following season (one catch for seven yards in 13 games). Smythe started three games in 2015 (three catches, 18 yards, one touchdown), but did not participate in any others because of shoulder and knee injuries. Finally healthy in 2016, he started all 12 games, catching nine passes for 112 yards and scoring four times.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Has good size and should continue to grow into his frame. Has a finisher's demeanor as a blocker. Plays like an offensive lineman. Technically sound blocker. Hand placement is accurate and he unlocks his hips into opponent. Runs his feet on down blocks until the block is secured. Understands his landmarks and takes proper angles. Excellent timing and radar when working up to linebacker on combos. Plus blocker for the position in-line and on the move. Trustworthy in pass protection. Was able to work the seam and lay out to make the catch. Unfazed by hitters in the middle of the field.
WEAKNESSES
Straight-line mover who struggles to adjust his release when defenders are looking to lean on him. Initial speed into patterns is average. Routes are very readable for safeties and linebackers. Comes out of his turns without much burst. Separation could be a challenge against man coverage. Needs to gather his feet into contact more consistently as a blocker.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 4-5
SOURCES TELL US
"There are only a handful of the old school tight ends who are big and able to help you in the run game and he's one of them." - AFC area scout
NFL COMPARISON
Dion Sims
BOTTOM LINE
Smythe is a classic "Y" tight end who carries himself like an offensive lineman. He has the frame, toughness and ability to help do the dirty work as a run blocker for teams in need of toughness at the position. While Smythe can catch what is thrown to him, he's unlikely to be a targeted pass catcher on the next level. Smythe's particular talent as a run blocker should create an opportunity to become a solid starter for years to come.
He might be, but in my mind there are many things that are much more important for the team now and in the future than a TE. I'm sorry you could link me the second coming of Tony Gonzalez and I'll probably pass on him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Free agent signings:
DaQuan Jones NT
3 years $15 million (going with numbers similar to what Ellis got). I've had him in the past and I'm keeping up with him with Ellis having signed.
Zach Brown ILB 4 years $15 million (changing up the ILB free agent target). Familiar with some of our defensive coaches from their days in Washington as well as with McVay. A veteran who might only see 2 or 3 years of the deal it all depends on how he ages and how healthy he is.
IF we can accomplish this ^^ Pre Draft it would be Killer! I like it a lot!! It would mean the Rams covered all there real needs ( CB-NT-ILB) pre Draft and can Go for what ever they want BPA wise!:D

Oh! I liked you Draft a lot too OldSchool!!(y);):D

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd be thrilled if we landed this draft. I'm a big fan of Geron.