Old Farmer's Almanac Prediction For Winter - Super Cold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-15-12-01-46

SUPER COLD, SLEW OF SNOW IN OLD FARMER'S ALMANAC FORECAST
BY KATHY MCCORMACK
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- Just when you thought you had gotten over last winter, be warned: The Old Farmer's Almanac predicts it will be super cold with a slew of snow for much of the country, even in places that don't usually see too much of it, like the Pacific Northwest.

Look for above-normal snow and below-normal temperatures for much of New England; icy conditions in parts of the South; and frigid weather in the Midwest. The snowiest periods in the Pacific Northwest will be in mid-December, early to mid-January and mid- to late February, the almanac predicts.

"Just about everybody who gets snow will have a White Christmas in one capacity or another," editor Janice Stillman said from Dublin, New Hampshire, where the almanac is compiled. It's due out in the coming week.

The almanac says there will be above normal-rainfall in the first half of the winter in California, but then that will dry up and the drought is expected to continue. "We don't expect a whole lot of relief," Stillman said.

The weather predictions are based on a secret formula that founder Robert B. Thomas designed using solar cycles, climatology and meteorology. Forecasts emphasize how much temperature and precipitation will deviate from 30-year averages compiled by government agencies.

No one's perfect, and some meteorologists generally pooh-pooh the Almanac's forecasts as too unscientific to be worth much. The almanac, which defends its accuracy for its predictions overall, says its greatest errors were in underestimating how far above normal California temperatures and Boston-area snowfall would be, although it did predict both would be above normal.

The record-breaking winter in Boston dumped more than 110 inches of snow on the city. The almanac doesn't call for as much this year.

The 224-year-old almanac, believed to be the oldest continually published periodical in North America, is 26 years older than its closest competitor, "The Farmers' Almanac," published in Maine and due out later in August.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Then expect the opposite . I can't say about New England . But here in the upper Midwest that thing hasn't been close in years

If you really want to know what kind of winter you'll have . Just look at 1993 . Thier ptedicting the sa el nino patern

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I live in the northeast. We were POUNDED last year by snowfall.

I don't mind. If it's cold; might as well snow.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think we are in for a wet one out west. We are due for it. The normal cycle of things is coming back around.