Old article on Jeff Fisher. A glimpse into the man.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lessons in Loyalty

Titans' Fisher Hasn't Forgotten Those Who Helped His Ascent

January 30, 2000|ERIC SONDHEIMER | TIMES STAFF WRITER
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jan/30/sports/sp-59417

Not long after the Tennessee Titans defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars in the AFC championship game, the doorbell started ringing at the Woodland Hills home of Roger and Janette Fisher, parents of Titan Coach Jeff Fisher.

"It got a little noisy," Roger said. "People started coming over with bottles of champagne."

Last year, another San Fernando Valley product, quarterback John Elway, led the Denver Broncos to victory in the Super Bowl. This time, it's Fisher, Woodland Hills Taft High class of 1976, who will try to orchestrate a Titan victory in the Super Bowl.

"We're excited, we're happy, we're very proud," Roger said.

The Fisher family has lived in the same house for 24 years. Jeff, 41, calls his parents after every game, whether he's taking a bus to the airport or driving home in his car.

There won't be any need to phone home today. His parents flew to Nashville on Friday, then drove to Atlanta to watch the Super Bowl before heading to Fisher's home in Franklin, Tenn.

"He wants us there Monday night for a victory party," Roger said.

Fisher's football coach at Taft, Hal Lambert, who's 74 and gave up full-time coaching after suffering a heart attack in 1980, is feeling invigorated.

"I'll tell you, I'm probably not as high off the ground as he is but close," Lambert said. "I'm still his biggest fan, although I can't say I'm bigger than his father and mother."

The Fisher supporter who might have the most energy and enthusiasm is his 90-year-old grandmother, Olive Hatton.

"She's amazing, with an unbelievably clear mind," said Fisher's youngest brother, Chris. "She called Jeff after the Jacksonville game in December and said, 'Hey, I was telling my girlfriend I was going to drink a margarita after each time you scored, but I had to stop after three.' "

Persistence, perseverance and loyalty are the qualities Fisher has embraced from his earliest days growing up the oldest of five siblings.

He combined athleticism with intelligence. On the night in 1975 when he set a school record with 12 receptions for 258 yards and two touchdowns against Chatsworth High, Fisher made a more lasting impression by suggesting to Lambert that the team take a safety late in the game to protect a 25-21 lead. Lambert agreed, and Fisher made sure quarterback Carl Garvin followed the strategy by knocking him down in the end zone.

Fisher went on to play cornerback at USC during a time when Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith and Joey Browner were in the same secondary. He was an All-Academic Pacific 10 Conference selection his senior year. He became part of USC-UCLA lore in 1980, tipping a pass in the fourth quarter that was caught by Bruin running back Freeman McNeil for a game-winning, 58-yard touchdown.

Fisher was drafted in the seventh round by the Chicago Bears and played five seasons. He was selling computer software in the off-season, but his football instincts, knowledge and competitiveness convinced Bear assistant Buddy Ryan to offer Fisher a coaching position with the Eagles in 1986.

"He never even thought of coaching until Buddy Ryan had him on the field," Lambert said.

Fisher, at 36, became the second-youngest head coach in the NFL when he was promoted from defensive coordinator by the Houston Oilers in 1994.

"He's always excelled at whatever he's done and is one of those guys who works his butt off," said Bill Spooner, an NBA referee who played receiver with Fisher at Taft. "All the records I set he went out and shattered the next year. I haven't forgiven him yet."

For the last three years, Fisher has returned to the Valley each spring to host a charity golf tournament that benefits the Valley Youth Football Conference.

"Jeff is just a down-to-earth, caring individual," said Bill Speer, the tournament organizer. "He's an amazing man."

Troy Starr, the current Taft football coach, spoke with Fisher at last year's tournament and found him more than friendly.

"I'd still be there talking with him if people didn't take him away," Starr said.

Fisher's sense of family and loyalty can be seen in his quarterback coach, Bart Andrus. The two played Little League and youth football together, Andrus the quarterback, Fisher the receiver.

Now their two sons, ages 7 and 8, are repeating their fathers' steps in reverse roles.

"Bart used to throw the ball to Jeff, and now Trent is throwing to Bart's son," Roger said.

All season, Fisher's brother, Chris, has been watching Titan games at his Moorpark home, which is equipped with a satellite dish. The gatherings have been growing with each Tennessee victory.

"It's Nashville West," he said. "It's been an amazing season."

Chris will join family members in Atlanta and cherish the moment his big brother has worked so hard to achieve.

Lambert will watch the game from a friend's house in Northridge while probably shouting coaching instructions to Fisher through his TV. He'll understand exactly what Fisher is going through.

"His stomach is going sideways, and mine is going round and round," Lambert said.

Fisher's sense of family and loyalty can be seen in his quarterback coach, Bart Andrus.
The two played Little League and youth football together, Andrus the quarterback, Fisher the receiver.

Ahhhh, there's the connection.
I don't mind nepotism, as long as it works. ;)

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>Fisher went on to play cornerback at USC during a time when Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith and Joey Browner were in the same secondary. He was an All-Academic Pacific 10 Conference selection his senior year. He became part of USC-UCLA lore in 1980, tipping a pass in the fourth quarter that was caught by Bruin running back Freeman McNeil for a game-winning, 58-yard touchdown.<<

I have to admit to having a smile on my face each time "X" posts something that refers to USC (knowing how he feels about them). Next year is going to be particularily tough what with Fisher and all......not to mention USC's run for the National Title (you heard it here first). As for me, I'm looking forward to one of the most successful years by BOTH teams storied history....the resurgence of the mighty Rams and the return of Trojan dominance.

Sorry X, I just couldn't help myself. :oops: :razzed:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Huh - I never knew X had a thing against USC. I know about 24 - but he's a Domer and you know how deluded THEY are..... (sssssssssup 24?) :7up:

Anyway, Taft High -eh? Wonder if they are still in the same league as Cleveland High. My sisters and brother went to Cleveland and they played Taft every year. If my math is right, I think I would have watched Fisher play a couple times. That's kinda cool.

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
>>Fisher went on to play cornerback at USC during a time when Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith and Joey Browner were in the same secondary. He was an All-Academic Pacific 10 Conference selection his senior year. He became part of USC-UCLA lore in 1980, tipping a pass in the fourth quarter that was caught by Bruin running back Freeman McNeil for a game-winning, 58-yard touchdown.<<

I have to admit to having a smile on my face each time "X" posts something that refers to USC (knowing how he feels about them). Next year is going to be particularily tough what with Fisher and all......not to mention USC's run for the National Title (you heard it here first). As for me, I'm looking forward to one of the most successful years by BOTH teams storied history....the resurgence of the mighty Rams and the return of Trojan dominance.

You sir are generally wise which I have difficulty with your not knowing the National Title dominance will remain in the SEC. :tooth:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
squeaky wheel said:
You sir are generally wise which I have difficulty with your not knowing the National Title dominance will remain in the SEC. :tooth:

You mean the conference that has won just two more national titles than Princeton? :sly:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
squeaky wheel said:
ramsince62 said:

Maybe so squeaky, but like they say: "that's why they play the game".... :hehe:

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
squeaky wheel said:

You mean the conference that has won just two more national titles than Princeton? :sly:

Princeton? Well if you include the Mesozoic.... but I'm in the now....as in the ALL SEC National Title game this year. :razzed:

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
squeaky wheel said:
ramsince62 said:

Maybe so squeaky, but like they say: "that's why they play the game".... :hehe:

Yes indeed.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
wow great article find X. you must have been scouring the internet to find that one. Did you read that already and were looking to repost or did you just come across it? Anyway, great article.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
wow great article find X. you must have been scouring the internet to find that one. Did you read that already and were looking to repost or did you just come across it? Anyway, great article.
Thanks. Just found it.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
RamFan503 said:
Huh - I never knew X had a thing against USC. I know about 24 - but he's a Domer and you know how deluded THEY are..... (sssssssssup 24?) :7up:

Anyway, Taft High -eh? Wonder if they are still in the same league as Cleveland High. My sisters and brother went to Cleveland and they played Taft every year. If my math is right, I think I would have watched Fisher play a couple times. That's kinda cool.

Cool article. I had no idea that Fischer was from Woodland Hills. I went to Taft (class of 74) but left after two years, right around the time he would have been starting. I remember Cleveland fielding some tough teams. Unless I'm mistaken they kicked our butts every year. Small world!