OLBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Might as well get another rush OLB out of the way who is overrated in mocks, to my eye at least. He's got talent for the rush, no doubt about it, but I dislike his film. His ability to rush the passer will put him in round 2 IMO, maybe late round 1, but like with Key his mental/desire side scares me. I would not draft him personally, unless he falls considerably.

OLB Harold Landry, Boston College

Strengths: good natural rush ability, excellent athlete.

Weaknesses: inconsistent effort, wired quickly to blockers, bad discipline/instincts setting edge & contain.

Love this thread so thanks for posting and to be fair have not seen alot of mocks to date. But as a BC alum, I am pretty locked in with what is going on there. The weaknesses posted here seem off to me. Effort has never been an issue with this player and he is obsessed with being great.

I really like this guy. A natural pass rusher who can beat you with speed or power. Tremendous bend and quickness, reminds me a lot of when Robert Quinn came out.

The only concern with this player IMO is the ankle. If the docs clear him, I see him as a top 15 player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another of the smaller edge setters in this draft, with a high motor and production. Guy many of us probably know well as he's a Trojan. :p

OLB Uchenna Nwosu, USC

Strengths: relentless motor, strong/sets edge nicely, good mobility, nice rush instincts.

Weaknesses: gets engulfed by tackles at times.

Lot of film on this dude out there to watch. Here's a game of his vs Ohio State:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkA4lcHZITk

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love this thread so thanks for posting and to be fair have not seen alot of mocks to date. But as a BC alum, I am pretty locked in with what is going on there. The weaknesses posted here seem off to me. Effort has never been an issue with this player and he is obsessed with being great.

Appreciate the feedback. Just putting up film on each guy so peeps can form their own opinions. Mine are based solely on watching the tape, and making judgments in my inexpert opinion so yeah take them with a grain of salt lol.

Not all his tape is as bad as the Notre Dame game, but IMO he's a lot more talented than his play on a lot of his tape. Just concerns me.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the depth is there at edge rusher but I'm not sure of the elite ability there . Hopefully we find a gen it two

I'm trackin what you're sayin RR. But ability and production are two different things. Key for example has very high end ability, Landry too. And for us at 23 there will be more raw ability at OLB than most drafts, it's just that there's questions that must be answered to the team's satisfaction. Guys like Key for example tend to go way before 23, and still might, but in this draft there's that chance for the late round 1 teams to get a steal if they hit on him.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Appreciate the feedback. Just putting up film on each guy so peeps can form their own opinions. Mine are based solely on watching the tape, and making judgments in my inexpert opinion so yeah take them with a grain of salt lol.

Not all his tape is as bad as the Notre Dame game, but IMO he's a lot more talented than his play on a lot of his tape. Just concerns me.

I get it and appreciate you putting your opinion out there like that. Check the Clemson game too, that was a good game. Also he was solid and showed his run capabilities against Jackson and Louisville. There are some good examples of him planting his outside foot and hold the edge as that was the game plan for that game.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm trackin what you're sayin RR. But ability and production are two different things. Key for example has very high end ability, Landry too. And for us at 23 there will be more raw ability at OLB than most drafts, it's just that there's questions that must be answered to the team's satisfaction. Guys like Key for example tend to go way before 23, and still might, but in this draft there's that chance for the late round 1 teams to get a steal if they hit on him.
Love me some key that's for sure

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not at all a fan of Key. His issues with effort, character, and overall production don't strike me as a first round pick. Reminds me of Randy Gregory coming out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going to throw a guy up here who has very little chance to get to us at 23. He's a guy who played vs lower level of competition but personally I have zero concern with that for a few reasons. First, he trended better year by year. Second, he plays with very high effort and consistency. Third, he stands out like crazy, like an older brother schoolin the kids at times and splash plays. He didn't exactly dominate during the Senior Bowl practices but you know what? He showed up and competed. And during the game the same thing that usually happens happened... He stood out. This is a top 10 guy due to all that plus the fact he's a beast of a kid in length and strength. Fits 4-3 too, so most teams will have him inside the top ten on their boards.

DE/OLB Marcus Davenport, UTSA

Strengths: strong at the point, sets edge, contains, and straight mugs OTs at times in his rush, uses length well.

Weaknesses: strength of competition, also he played a lot on the left side vs that lower level of competition.

Here's one of his games, I mean it speaks for itself...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrUCQI-_pb4

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This player is listed a lot due to his school and program, and I don't want to take anything away from him because he's a fine player too. High effort type with excellent consistency but not special in any particular way. Not an option for us at 23, in other words. But the type of guy you can build a great team with, who will execute the scheme and be sound in all the ways you need him to be. Also of note is that I think he's best served not on the edge at the NFL level, moreso as a 5T type in this defense tbh or at the least a left side type with a Connor Barwin ceiling at best. 4-3 defenses will like him as a left side guy too btw.

OLB/DE Sam Hubbard, Ohio State.

Strengths: good strength, sets edge and reasonable on contain, very high effort and consistency.

Weaknesses: probably doesn't have the agility to contain at NFL level, not special as a rusher.

Here's a game of his vs Iowa...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8paw6lAXLw

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's another player who had a really impressive 2016 season (10 sacks) but struggled statistically last year. When I watch his tape the effort's there, and his problem moreso lies in undisciplined play and particularly vs the run and in his contain responsibilities in general. But he has the skills you want in an OLB and might end up being a really good player at the NFL level once a good staff gets a hold of him.

OLB Dorance Armstrong, Kansas

Strengths: has some nice natural rush ability, good strength for his size, decent ranginess (is that a word? idk).

Weaknesses: too much freelancing, needs work/coaching in all facets of play vs run.

Here's some good tape of him vs TTU...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFT7Kwhfdw

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This player I have seen some crazy profiles on with all manner of nonsense irt his tape. Suffice it to say I think he is underrated across the board. He's never been a high sack guy, but I think he has everything you want in a rush end. His effort is superb, whistle to whistle guy who can play all over the place due to his strength. IMO this guy is going to be a fine pro.

OLB/DE Chad Thomas, Miami

Strengths: surprisingly good rush for a guy without big sack season, effort, good discipline, tall/rangy and strong.

Weaknesses: knocked on instincts, low sack totals, being "lost" even.

Here's a look at him vs a very good Wisconsin line...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjfGz0d5IBk

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a player that will be flagged on team boards for medical concern and will need to be vetted, and might be in for a long slide depending on how it checks out. He has everything you want however, tall and strong, athletic, and does a good job in what he was asked to execute. Hope his knee holds up, and if it does some team's gonna get a player on the cheap.

OLB Josh Sweat, FSU

Strengths: size, strength to handle OTs, good contain and edge setting, high end agility.

Weaknesses: medical concerns, raw as a rusher.

Here's his game vs Bama from this year...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq5fNu4-jQs

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's another player who had a really impressive 2016 season (10 sacks) but struggled statistically last year. When I watch his tape the effort's there, and his problem moreso lies in undisciplined play and particularly vs the run and in his contain responsibilities in general. But he has the skills you want in an OLB and might end up being a really good player at the NFL level once a good staff gets a hold of him.

OLB Dorance Armstrong, Kansas

Strengths: has some nice natural rush ability, good strength for his size, decent ranginess (is that a word? idk).

Weaknesses: too much freelancing, needs work/coaching in all facets of play vs run.

Here's some good tape of him vs TTU...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFT7Kwhfdw

I was really hoping to see more from Armstrong. He has good power for his size, but he's not a polished pass rusher at all. And in the games I watched, he basically never attacked the edge. Based on his production, I thought I'd see a lot more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This player is a member of a team whose defensive tape is downright difficult to watch. He lines up mostly as a left side end in a conventional 4-3 look, and I don't know if the coaching isn't concerned with him not containing because on a lot of snaps he pinches in and/or disregards those responsibilities. Lot of stuff said about the team around him, lack of talent, lost his positional coach, etc., but the truth is this is a player who seems to start slow and improve a little as the season progresses, player who needs work. Definite midround or later option to my eye, and a guy who might be limited to 4-3 DE and on the left side at that, but that's hard to say due to usage (not many examples of him playing in space).

DE/OLB Marcell Frazier, Missouri

Strengths: good size and height, pass rush most developed ability

Weaknesses: needs work on all facets vs run game, overall strength needs to improve, undisciplined

Here's a game of his vs Auburn where they shoulda got mercy ruled...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FFc9XP-y4

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah there's a good chance they keep Quinn this year. But that decision probably won't affect their drafting decisions, where I would think that if they love one of these OLBs they will snap him up when and where they need to.

What is interesting about this class IMO is that it's going to stack based on the team interviews. I mean that is always the case, but just moreso the case with this group. If both Landry and Key interview well, and can settle team concerns, they're very high picks and rightly so.
I would look @ this Draft ref. OLB/ Edge Rushers.....once coaches review the complete body of work on the teams #1 issue which was run defense breakdowns & what contributed & lead to those big problems that resulted in big loss after loss to teams who ran on us ??:whistle:..Quinn will be moved.He is a non factor in run defense.

The question is how that will be done..cut or trade? Since we are discussing the Draft here...specifically the OSL'ers. That where I believe we will see Snead utilize what legit worth of Quinn has remaining. RQ is much more 43 RDE than 34 OLB'er by a large amount;). I would bet Snead will include RQ in a DRAFT day deal to secure us the defensive player we desire, or in a trade for additional selections. RQ will go to a 43 defensive team where his worth is much more than it is with the Rams. RQ

Once Quinn is removed from the picture @ OLB'er the need to add a legit pass rusher in this Draft magnifies. Thus position thread would be the highest area of concern IMO.

Snead might use Quinn in an attempt to Draft early 3rd round selection to move up & get L Carter from UG. He sure looks like a good ingredient to blend in here. I really like Kemoko Turay & the same might be said for him I prefer him with the Wade D myself. If they want either of these ER's they will need to trade up in the 3rd to get them!

Next group for very early third day of the Draft action would be Eff Holland from Auburn but saying that give members :seizure:. Marquis Haynes Miss & a local kid Uchenna Nwosu. Of this trio I like Haynes in the 4th rd. In the 5th rd you would shoot for Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. I would use Quinn's value to trade in order to move up higher in the rounds of the 3rd & 4th to go get 2 of these Edge Rushers! I hope for Drafting of Turay & Haynes myself & blend them in with what we have under contract.:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What we need so badly is young talent at LB across the board. Ebu did some nice things, but he's not a special talent. I mean I have hopes that he comes in to camp and lights it up, but the Rams badly need to reload there.There's about six needs in total. So how they move the pieces around in FA is going to tell us a lot; we should have a pretty good idea by the time the draft rolls around.
I agree. But when thing Draft I think its good to take a look @ what Wade has at his disposal.

Rams do have a few young veteran OLB'ers who have some good amount of experience under their belts now than can be blended in with whomever Snead Drafts. Mat Longacre will enter his 4th season, Cory Littleton will enter his 3rd & the OLB'er you mentioned Samson Ebukam who will enter his 2nd season. None are bonified productive edge rusher in sub-packages.

The other 2 under contract OLB'er are Thompson & Price. Both inexperienced but Thompson was active for 3 gms & started one. Price was only active for one gm & saw very little action. Matt Longacre was having a great season leading the Rams in sacks early & setting the edge & run support was surprising good out playing Quinn. However wk #10 Matt hurt his back & it went down hill from there right to the IR & surgery.

Ebukam was rushed into the void when OLB'er Barwin suffered 2 injuries at two different time periods. It was not good timing a little too early for Ebukam. On the good side he was active for 16 games started 2 gms.He did have a forced fumble & 2 sacks. Here's some positive news is Ebukam with only 2 starts had 26 solo tackles where the starter Quinn (12.4 million cap cost) has 21 tacks:shocking:. But SB does need to get better. I placed Cory Littleton in this cadre...Cory is best suited to play his 220/225 pound frame @ OSLB'er. He has always been one at the official Rams site has CL listed as OLB. CL can be sneaky in getting presser too. CL has 33 NFL gms under his belt & should take his 36 tacks in 4 starts to the outside IMO in order to place him in his best playing position. Its my understanding that CL was the best ST's player not recognize like LS, gunners kickers, punters & returners.

I could see the Rams bring back Conner Barwin @ the vet econo priced making the four OSLB'ers Barwin,Littleton, Longacre & Ebukam to go with the newly drafted OSLBers who will arrive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead might use Quinn in an attempt to Draft early 3rd round selection to move up & get L Carter from UG. He sure looks like a good ingredient to blend in here. I really like Kemoko Turay & the same might be said for him I prefer him with the Wade D myself. If they want either of these ER's they will need to trade up in the 3rd to get them!

Interesting idea there Boni. If they could come out of the first two picks with a CB like Hughes and then still get Lorenzo Carter I'd be a very, very happy fan.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think teams are well aware of his skill set and versatility tbh. His tape is really good, and he can play anywhere in our defense in terms of LB spots. Not to mention that it's hard to find dudes at LB with his type of size and physicality but still offering that range you want, what with all these 230lb beefed-up-safety types college defenses are producing.

This is a guy who can play in any front, can do different things depending on what your defense needs. And he has that size and physicality that's hard to find. That is why I think the draft estimates having him going high are accurate. With a guy like him the demand side of things is larger than it is for a lot of the OLB types, as any team with a LB need has him sittin there on their board with good grades as a fit.

All that aside, though, I think if the Rams draft him he goes right into that spot at ILB on the strong side and shores up our $#itty run defense. And gives us a great duo for many years to come.

i think i would freak if the Rams got TE in the 1st & his VT teammate Tim Settle NT in the 3rd. Run defense would get crazy good. TE has the size & strength & skillset to have a high floor / high ceiling at both ILB and OLB, wherever Wade wants him. If he slides down & he's there, he's my pick. I like the other guys too @Riverumbbq, this is a great thread, but the tape I saw on TE showed me a lot of speed & shedding.