OLBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Because of the depth of this position not going to focus on only the early guys like with CB, rather going to put up the ones who fit our defense one at a time. This looks like a high chance of drafting type position for us this year, due to need and the depth of the class. It's a really nice class so going to kick it off with my favorite prospect and a guy who looks to my eye like a late round 1 to round 2 pick. IMO this is a dude who is undervalued in most mocks I have seen, but maybe I'm crazy and he's a guy they can trade down and get. Either way he has some crazy upside, is a need, and a fit for this defense.

OLB Lorenzo Carter, Georgia

Strengths: super tall & rangy but very strong and hard to move, sets the edge very well, excellent athlete for his size, can get upfield quickly on the rush with raw talent.

Weaknesses: not a polished rusher.

Here's a clip I put up in another thread, him vs what is probably the best offense in college ball, and it shows how much he's used in drops and coverage but also how he can get upfield and how well he can set the edge and contain:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLW-tc13p2g

Here's vs Bama in the title game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6SYBCVNNQ

And one of his finest games vs Notre Dame:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlSjTe0zuE

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every time I think about offseason needs, I always forget OLB. Have to hope Ebukam steps up - I would feel confident in Quinn and then Longacre/Ebukam splitting reps on the other side.

But if we cut Quinn to save space? Yikes. OLB jumps to the top of my need list. And even if we keep Quinn, we will need depth behind him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every time I think about offseason needs, I always forget OLB. Have to hope Ebukam steps up - I would feel confident in Quinn and then Longacre/Ebukam splitting reps on the other side.

But if we cut Quinn to save space? Yikes. OLB jumps to the top of my need list. And even if we keep Quinn, we will need depth behind him.

What we need so badly is young talent at LB across the board. Ebu did some nice things, but he's not a special talent. I mean I have hopes that he comes in to camp and lights it up, but the Rams badly need to reload there.

There's about six needs in total. So how they move the pieces around in FA is going to tell us a lot; we should have a pretty good idea by the time the draft rolls around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So here's a guy who was so hyped in 2016 it wasn't even funny. Then he came out the gate this year not only looking like he was going through the motions, but perhaps more damaging looking like a JAG. Watch game after game of this dude (2017) and you won't see special. Even his (4) sacks seem to be more coverage based than him actually beating someone with a quick move or pressure. Now, I have read he was comin off a shoulder, that he played through a dislocated finger, etc., but also that he's a me-first guy who left the team to do his own workouts, that success inflated his head and he quit working, stuff like that. We're not privy to the data the NFL scouts can dig up or the interviews that are coming up (and which are critical as F for this guy), but boy I'd love to read his file. Late first round someone will undoubtedly draft him, but I pray it isn't the Rams.

OLB Arden Key, LSU

Strengths: big and rangy, athletic, strong at the point, can set a good edge when he wants to

Weaknesses: low effort, undisciplined on the contain, lots of rushes with little pressure to show.

Here's some of his cuts...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaaWwNkgVco

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xsHLgjfTZ4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HlvavoC6UU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN_n7iE16CQ

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Might as well get another rush OLB out of the way who is overrated in mocks, to my eye at least. He's got talent for the rush, no doubt about it, but I dislike his film. His ability to rush the passer will put him in round 2 IMO, maybe late round 1, but like with Key his mental/desire side scares me. I would not draft him personally, unless he falls considerably.

OLB Harold Landry, Boston College

Strengths: good natural rush ability, excellent athlete.

Weaknesses: inconsistent effort, wired quickly to blockers, bad discipline/instincts setting edge & contain.

Going to throw up a game that demonstrates why I don't like him for us at 23, and then another game vs a top opponent in Clemson:

View: https://youtu.be/D0MEom0Lsw8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POKCExeQH1I

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like a lot of these guys this OLB was asked to play different spots and drop into coverage a fair amount of time. He's small, but a scrappy and relentless little MFer. Oh and his name gives me fits trying to spell it damn, too many O's. Not sure where he's going to go, if it weren't for his size I'd say he's a round 1-2 guy so probably a solid round 2 type hard to say, but I like him. He also can most likely play just about any OLB position, 3-4 or 4-3.

OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Oklahoma

Strengths: relentless motor, can get off blocks, excellent rush instincts

Weaknesses: small and gets smothered at times, needs to add to that spin move, can he play run downs in NFL.

Here's one of his better games vs Ohio St., and then the Rose Bowl vs Georgia:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jou0Ak8n8T4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2hY4qeJHmM

Ok one more, of the Senior Bowl practice with a few snaps:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4-wq0jdID8

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So here's a guy who was so hyped in 2016 it wasn't even funny. Then he came out the gate this year not only looking like he was going through the motions, but perhaps more damaging looking like a JAG.

Key is an incredible talent, but there's something not right about him mentally. He strikes me as a guy who is just looking to get paid.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think they can get Carter standing pat. I don't want Key. Landry doesn't excite me either. I like Okoronkwo but he has his limitations too.

I think going after a smaller school diamond in the rough type may be the way to go. Other than Carter will any of these guys be an upgrade over Quinn? Maybe Okoronkwo against the run. So I think they try to keep Quinn, unless they sign a DE that can play better, but that likely means even more money spent on Quinn's spot.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot to like at ilb this year. Pretty weak class for edge rushers .Chubb will likely be gone and after him it's Key (question about effort), Edmunds (great overall linebacker but not sure about his pass rush) and Davenport (freak athlete but super raw) . The other guys don't stand out to me

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think they can get Carter standing pat. I don't want Key. Landry doesn't excite me either. I like Okoronkwo but he has his limitations too.

I think going after a smaller school diamond in the rough type may be the way to go. Other than Carter will any of these guys be an upgrade over Quinn? Maybe Okoronkwo against the run. So I think they try to keep Quinn, unless they sign a DE that can play better, but that likely means even more money spent on Quinn's spot.

Yeah my concern with Carter is he blows up the combine. If he does, with his film he could climb really fast on the media boards where he's been overlooked a bit. But of course do the media boards really resemble those of the teams? Probably not, and it seems like the "climbers" tend to be the media figuring out their boards are outta whack with a lot of teams.

Would not surprise me if Carter's gone before 23, but my hope is him being an OLB along with some of the other guys being able to play 3-4 or 4-3 will keep him on the board. What I like about this class is the depth, there's a lot of dudes to look at, and even though some of the guys at the top have questions there's also high end talent that you normally can't find late first and second round. It's possible someone hits on Key late first or early second and gets a damn beast of a pass rusher, because comin off his 2016 season he was regarded as a top 5 type pick in talent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot to like at ilb this year. Pretty weak class for edge rushers .Chubb will likely be gone and after him it's Key (question about effort), Edmunds (great overall linebacker but not sure about his pass rush) and Davenport (freak athlete but super raw) . The other guys don't stand out to me

I think both are deep with a lot of options tbh. And I took a long look at Edmunds but his primary usage convinced me to list him with the ILBs. Gonna do quite a few more of these types first then start putting up the ILBs and he'll probably be the first one.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like the dude @Riverumbbq put up there...but I believe he's a ILB...that's inside...and we DO need another one of those...a stack and shed, blast a RB in the hole...make a damn wrap up tackle....get off blocks....defend the zone...the TE..the RB out of the backfield type...extend his arms to get off blocks...you get where I'm going???? LOL

For OLB...the outside...tough position...there was a guy at Virginia....Eli Harold...watched him a bit after he terrorized the Bruins...beast....hasn't done much at SF. I kinda liked Mingo from LSU....he's a ST demon now....I wasn't sure on the dude from Maryland...loved his effort....and he's a stud for the Jags...African dude...#91....it's a tough position to scout for the pros. I don't like that small school guy they were all over at the senior bowl....I do like Key....because of 2016. I just like Tigers...for the pro game...same with Bulldogs...SEC guys play physical.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB.php
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-43-Outside-LBs-2018-Draft.asp

I kinda like the Armstrong guy from Kansas...fits the profile of a 3-4 OLB....You gotta love the Carter guy from Georgia....but not at 23...In fact, some believe that Davin Bellamy performed better....and has higher upside.
.Now....on to some picks....

Sione Teuhema, OLB, Southeast Louisiana
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2018): 3-4.
1/13/18: In 2017, Teuhema recorded 80 tackles with 18.5 tackles for a loss, nine sacks, two forced fumbles, one interception and one pass broken up. He impressed scouts over the season, and they say that the off-the-field concerns that caused him to leave LSU weren't a serious concern. In fact, the LSU staff speaks highly of Sione Teuhema and his brother to scouts.
I like guys that move from big schools to lil schools....2nd chances baby....need to see his arm length and 40 time....and some decent reps on the bench....All Sparq...all day...

Some others to keep an eye on....key will be speed, power, and ability to play in a 2 point stance in space.

Seth Dooley, Demetrius Cooper, Jacob Pugh, Ebenezer Ogundeko, & Naashon Hughes

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than Carter will any of these guys be an upgrade over Quinn? Maybe Okoronkwo against the run. So I think they try to keep Quinn, unless they sign a DE that can play better, but that likely means even more money spent on Quinn's spot.

Yeah there's a good chance they keep Quinn this year. But that decision probably won't affect their drafting decisions, where I would think that if they love one of these OLBs they will snap him up when and where they need to.

What is interesting about this class IMO is that it's going to stack based on the team interviews. I mean that is always the case, but just moreso the case with this group. If both Landry and Key interview well, and can settle team concerns, they're very high picks and rightly so.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do like Key....because of 2016. I just like Tigers...for the pro game

Yeah one thing about LSU is that they are so talented that I have to wonder wtf the coaching staff was doing. And once you start to doubt the coaching staff it's really hard to lay judgment ain't it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like the dude @Riverumbbq put up there...but I believe he's a ILB...that's inside...and we DO need another one of those...a stack and shed, blast a RB in the hole...make a damn wrap up tackle....get off blocks....defend the zone...the TE..the RB out of the backfield type...extend his arms to get off blocks...you get where I'm going???? LOL

For OLB...the outside...tough position...there was a guy at Virginia....Eli Harold...watched him a bit after he terrorized the Bruins...beast....hasn't done much at SF. I kinda liked Mingo from LSU....he's a ST demon now....I wasn't sure on the dude from Maryland...loved his effort....and he's a stud for the Jags...African dude...#91....it's a tough position to scout for the pros. I don't like that small school guy they were all over at the senior bowl....I do like Key....because of 2016. I just like Tigers...for the pro game...same with Bulldogs...SEC guys play physical.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB.php
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-43-Outside-LBs-2018-Draft.asp

I kinda like the Armstrong guy from Kansas...fits the profile of a 3-4 OLB....You gotta love the Carter guy from Georgia....but not at 23...In fact, some believe that Davin Bellamy performed better....and has higher upside.
.Now....on to some picks....

I like guys that move from big schools to lil schools....2nd chances baby....need to see his arm length and 40 time....and some decent reps on the bench....All Sparq...all day...

Some others to keep an eye on....key will be speed, power, and ability to play in a 2 point stance in space.

Seth Dooley, Demetrius Cooper, Jacob Pugh, Ebenezer Ogundeko, & Naashon Hughes

I like Edmunds as a 6'5", 250lb 3-4 OLB, he is built more like an outside pass-rusher than an inside linebacker, and his ability to drop in coverage is another strong part of his game. His size and quickness are outstanding for the position. At VTech he played in a 4-3 at SAM, MIKE & occasionally at DE and was quite successful. Virginia also heavily recruited him for their 3-4, but he and his brother chose to stay together at VT. For those worried about his pass rush, please remember that his opportunities were limited in the 4-3 where he shined fulfilling mostly other roles while still recording 30.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks over his final two seasons and added three forced fumbles during his final season. It's that production which has led to projections that he’ll be off the board in the first round. In a 3-4 OLB role his pass rush opportunities would increase 3 or 4 fold. He'd also be very dangerous being moved around in Wade's sub-packages. He's also a junior. The Combine should open many more eyes to his skill-set & versatility. jmo.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein on Edmunds :

Zierlein gave Edmunds high marks across the board and wrote this in his evaluation of the young linebacker:

Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile linebacker package that will have evaluators salivating. Edmunds has posted high-impact production over the last two seasons and he still has room to get bigger and better. Edmunds will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar, but he has an ability to mitigate those issues with his athletic ability. Edmunds can play in any alignment at any linebacker spot and has All-Pro potential no matter where he lands.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those worried about his pass rush, please remember that his opportunities were limited in the 4-3 where he shined fulfilling mostly other roles while still recording 30.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks over his final two seasons and added three forced fumbles during his final season. It's that production which has led to projections that he’ll be off the board in the first round. In a 3-4 OLB role his pass rush opportunities would increase 3 or 4 fold. He'd also be very dangerous being moved around in Wade's sub-packages. He's also a junior. The Combine should open many more eyes to his skill-set & versatility. jmo.

I think teams are well aware of his skill set and versatility tbh. His tape is really good, and he can play anywhere in our defense in terms of LB spots. Not to mention that it's hard to find dudes at LB with his type of size and physicality but still offering that range you want, what with all these 230lb beefed-up-safety types college defenses are producing.

This is a guy who can play in any front, can do different things depending on what your defense needs. And he has that size and physicality that's hard to find. That is why I think the draft estimates having him going high are accurate. With a guy like him the demand side of things is larger than it is for a lot of the OLB types, as any team with a LB need has him sittin there on their board with good grades as a fit.

All that aside, though, I think if the Rams draft him he goes right into that spot at ILB on the strong side and shores up our $#itty run defense. And gives us a great duo for many years to come.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So this guy is a big kid who unfortunately shares a name with a top QB prospect in this draft. Not a lot of film on him, and he's not really a standout player. Looks like he's got some upside, though, and like a lot of the guys in this class with coaching might be something. Midrounds project type looks like.

OLB Josh Allen, Kentucky

Strengths: big and rangy, good strength, sets the edge nicely, some of his rushes show promise.

Weaknesses: might not be able to contain at the NFL level, gets locked up by blockers too often, looks indecisive.

Here's a clip of him vs a solid NW team this year:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBOuJKkYoE

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think both are deep with a lot of options tbh. And I took a long look at Edmunds but his primary usage convinced me to list him with the ILBs. Gonna do quite a few more of these types first then start putting up the ILBs and he'll probably be the first one.
I think the depth is there at edge rusher but I'm not sure of the elite ability there . Hopefully we find a gen it two