Keith Olbermann out at ESPN...again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm torn here. Keith Olbermann is a jerk but Roger Goodell, imo, has done great harm to the NFL. As an advocate of free speech I'd like to see every ESPN commentator be allowed to criticize Goodell and the NFL freely but on the other hand.......Keith Olbermann. :palm:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/01/report-espn-wants-olbermann-to-stop-ripping-goodell/

Report: ESPN wants Olbermann to stop ripping Goodell
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 1, 2015

keith-olbermann-fired2.jpg
Getty Images

There’s long been a perception in sports media circles that when the NFL tells ESPN to jump, ESPN asks, How high? Whether it’s the cancellation of Playmakers, the shunning of League of Denial or the suspension of Bill Simmons, ESPN seems eager to please the NFL, which provides ESPN with its most popular programming.

So today’s story from the Hollywood Reporter about ESPN’s negotiations with Keith Olbermann (scroll down to read it) will be closely scrutinized within the sports media. According to the report, ESPN has told Olbermann that if his contract is going to be extended, the network wants Olbermann to stop engaging in commentary.

And that request is the result of the fact that Olbermann’s commentaries regularly rip the NFL in general and Commissioner Roger Goodell in particular. Olbermann called for Goodell to lose his job over his handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case, and Olbermann has regularly been a thorn in Goodell’s side.

The report says that ESPN remains sensitive about its relationship with the NFL, and that multiple sources within ESPN believe that the NFL gave ESPN a weak slate of Monday Night Football games this year as “payback for Simmons and Olbermann.” It seems unlikely that the NFL would cut off its nose to spite its face like that, but some folks at ESPN apparently believe that’s exactly what happened.

Olbermann’s contract with ESPN expires next month. With his longtime interest in politics, he may be looking to leave for a news channel where he can comment freely on next year’s presidential election. Especially if ESPN is telling him that he needs to muzzle his critiques of Goodell.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espn-wants-keith-olbermann-quit-806220

ESPN Wants Keith Olbermann to Quit Doing "Commentary"
keith_olbermann.jpg

Keith Olbermann/AP Images
by Marisa Guthrie

The ESPN2 anchor was highly critical of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell during the Ray Rice scandal.

ESPN and Keith Olbermann may be headed toward a tough negotiation to keep the outspoken host on the sports network. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that ESPN has floated a highly problematic condition for an extension of Olbermann's initial two-year deal: that he cease engaging in “commentary” on his ESPN2 program.

The issue likely stems from Olbermann's critical assessment of the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal that exploded last summer when an elevator video of Rice punching then-fiancee Janay Palmer in the face surfaced after the NFL had imposed a slap-on-the-wrist, two game suspension on the Baltimore Ravens star running back. Olbermann repeatedly hammered NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. In a lengthy commentary at the top of his Aug. 1 broadcast, he called on the commissioner to “resign” after what Olbermann described as a “weak, damaging and almost enabling reaction” to the episode.

The NFL has been pilloried throughout the media – and also faced pressure from advertisers – for its handling of a string of violent incidents involving its players. ESPN's highly-regarded investigative series Outside the Lines was a leader in reporting on the scandal. Olbermann is not the only ESPN personality who has been critical of Goodell and the league. Bill Simmons' profane criticism of Goodell was likely the tipping point for his departure from the network after 15 years, during which Simmons built the online site Grantland and also co-created the award-winning documentary series 30 for 30.

ESPN walks a particularly fine line in how its reporters and personalities handle the professional sports leagues that are so critical to the network's success. ESPN's Monday Night Football deal (which extends through 2021) is worth $15.2 billion to the NFL. It is the richest rights deal among the NFL's TV partners – which also includes CBS, Fox and NBC – in part because it comes with extensive highlight rights critical to feeding content to ESPN's myriad sports programs.

ESPN has had MNF since 2006, the current deal represented an increase of more than 70 percent ($1.9 billion per year up from $1.1 billion under the previous agreement). And while NFL schedulers have historically worked to spread marquee match-ups among its TV partners, the upcoming MNF schedule is viewed one as pointedly lacking in high-interest games. And multiple sources inside ESPN's Bristol, Conn. headquarters believe the "terrible" schedule is “pay back for Simmons and Olbermann,” as one source put it.

And there are signs that ESPN's spending may need to be reigned in. Though ESPN parent Disney realized gains in second-quarter earnings, operating income at Disney media networks - which includes ABC, ESPN and the company's kid-targeted cable channels - fell 2 percent due to rising programming and production costs at ESPN.

Olbermann's return to ESPN two years ago was something of a surprising homecoming given his clashes with management during his first stint at the network. A talented writer and anchor, he built his reputation on ESPN's SportsCenter with co-host Dan Patrick in the 1980s. Together they brought a wry humor to the heretofore by-the-numbers highlight show, launching countless imitators of what would eventually become the norm across the industry.

By all accounts Olbermann has had few run-ins with management during his current stint there, though he was suspended for four days earlier this year after popping off at Penn State students on Twitter. He took full blame for the incident when he returned admitting that he had been “stupid and immature.”

And Olbermann's on-air commentaries – unlike his tweets – are vetted by ESPN producers who have been known to request changes, say sources. There was some frustration with his initial 11 p.m. time slot on ESPN2. Because it was preceded by live sports, his show was frequently shifted to the wee hours. At one point, Olbermann was pre-empted for several nights for women's softball. But last September, ESPN permanently shifted Olbermann to 5 p.m.

Sources say that ESPN management signaled their discomfort with Olbermann's commentaries a few days after news of Simmons' imminent departure from ESPN broke last May, when ESPN president John Skipper abruptly told the New York Times that he had decided not to renew Simmons' deal. (Simmons learned of Skipper's decision when the Times tweeted its scoop on May 8.) ESPN had no immediate comment.

Olbermann's current deal is up in August. Skipper has said in the past that he intends to keep Olbermann. But he also said the same about Simmons. Of course, while Olbermann has many fans in the sports arena, he also is an established progressive voice – and reliable conservative foe. It is still possible that he'll stay at ESPN. But with a presidential election around the corner, he may be itching to get back to political commentary.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The problem with Olberman, and a lot of other guys, is that they let the myths permeate some of what they say and write. He can beat on Goodell about Ray Rice all he fucking wants, Goodell handed out the EXACT same punishment he did and other commissioners did and Olberman DIDN"T SAY A WORD at the time. The video was the big deal. And lets remember that the CBA decided what the max punishment was.......did Olberman say anything about DSmith and the players union being largely responsible for that?

Of course not.

As far as Simmons, first he's a putz and second he dropped the f bomb. Sorry but that at least gets you suspended..........even if you are talking about a high school tennis team on a local access cable channel.

The media loves to beat up on the easy target even when it's not that accurate.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
But Stephen A Smith is allowed to stay after accusing coaches of being racist and basically telling women to know your role?

Fuck BSPN.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mixing sports with politics and social commentary is never a good idea. Whenever Olbermann, Florio, or Peter King veer off in those areas I tend to stop watching or reading. Just report and comment on sports and leave it at that without using your platform to influence societal changes. People watch sports to get away from that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mixing sports with politics and social commentary is never a good idea. Whenever Olbermann, Florio, or Peter King veer off in those areas I tend to stop watching or reading. Just report and comment on sports and leave it at that without using your platform to influence societal changes. People watch sports to get away from that.
But that doesn't get clicks!!

If there's one thing we know for sure about ESPN, it's that it's all about ratings (and clicks). They'd sell their soul to the devil for those things.

I really detest that network...

Alan

Legend
It's darn near impossible to keep real life out of sports regardless of what your political beliefs are. We frequntly mix the two here so why should we hold anyone to higher standards? How can you talk about the Ray Rice type of incidents in sports without veering off the "just sports please" road. Like it or not, suspensions and the like are part of sports. Although keeping that to a minimum is what I'd prefer.

As for Olbermann himself, even though I agree with most of the things he says I don't like his style. just as I don't like Adam Schein's style or Chris "mad dog" Russo's style. All of whom are way too loud and pushy for me. That won't keep me from listening to what they have to say though. Or not denigrating their work.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think Olbermann has gotten pretty full of himself over the past several years...Having said that, I think Goodell might be the most sanctimonious asshole in all of sports...Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-telling-olbermann-to-quit-ripping-goodell/

ESPN denies telling Olbermann to quit ripping Goodell
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 1, 2015

espn.jpg
Getty Images

It didn’t take long for ESPN to deny the report that it wants Keith Olbermann to tone down his criticism of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Responding to a report from the Hollywood Reporter that ESPN wants to put a clause in Olbermann’s next contract prohibiting him from commentaries critical of the league or its commissioner, ESPN released a statement saying that simply isn’t the case.

“Keith Olbermann has never been told any topic is off limits for his commentary nor has continuation of it been part of any conversation about his future at the company,” ESPN’s statement said.

Olbermann, who returned to ESPN two years ago with a daily show on ESPN2, has been highly critical of Goodell, saying that he should have lost his job in the wake of the Ray Rice domestic violence case.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What's the alternative? Chris Berman shilling for the NFL and a bunch of former Patriots telling us the the NFL is just perfect the way it is and that Goodell is doing a fine job?

Inevitably, when someone forms a critiques as a style, they will have issues with some folks.

But man, I'd rather have a bunch of that than all of the enabling, babbling YES men...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
my wife used to work with olbermann - he's insane. but I'm not here to give goodhell any passes either. both of these guys are jerks.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My hate for Olbermann runs deep and wide. I wouldn't listen to a word he said if he was the only source for NFL news.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I can't stand Olberman. But I don't have problem with him criticizing Goodell. I also don't have a problem with ESPN telling him to stop. If they own the network they should be able to tell their employees what they want or don't want. Its up to the viewers if they wanna tune in.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I agree.

I sure do not watch football to here sport writers politics...... Here's an example...Bob Costas "Sunday Night Football" sportscaster in your face about Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
View: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d4_1354563432

Please just :stop:.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
My hate for Olbermann runs deep and wide. I wouldn't listen to a word he said if he was the only source for NFL news.
back in the day when he was a lowly sports anchor, for one of the local TV stations, he wasn't that bad. Perhaps fame or national exposure went to his head.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I agree.

I sure do not watch football to here sport writers politics...... Here's an example...Bob Costas "Sunday Night Football" sportscaster in your face about Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
View: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d4_1354563432

Please just :stop:.
THIS^^^
I was thinking about posting the exact same thing as an example. fuck Costas.
he abused his power as a SPORTS commentator to express and force his political views to a captive audience that were tuned in to watch a football game and not be lectured and preached to on Costas views of 2nd Amendment rights. just like I was upset and embarrassed when the Rams players came out of the tunnel with their "hands up" gesture bullshit last season

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Pundits/presenters/commentatorson sky sports over here manage perfectly well not to bring politics into their broadcast of Premier League football (soccer). I'm not sure why it's that difficult to avoid.

I remember watching Bobby Valentine on (possibly) Baseball Tonight years ago just before the Expos moved to Washington. He said something along the lines of they (referring to Canadians) didn't support us in the war on terror and they're not supporting their Expos.

I mean seriously, wtf?!!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
ESPN is welcome to broadcast anything they like.

I stopped watching looooooong ago, probably about the same time MTV stopped airing videos.

Thank heavens for ROD et al.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The minute politics gets brought up in any non-political event (sports,TV, school, music) it makes me want to puke. Is nothing sacred?